Infiniti FX Forum banner

Trying to buy a new FX and have some questions

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  ricofx45 
#1 ·
I am currently working on buying a new FX for my wife and had some questions. Is there anything pre-delivery I should be aware of? I am trying to justify the FX45 over the FX35, but I am losing the battle since it is a 10k difference for basically a slightly larger motor. Trust me I am all for the V-8 my daily driver is a 600 rwhp 03 Cobra, but some how my wife doesn't understand. How much faster/more powerful is the FX45 really? I will probably just throw a few mods on the FX35.

This is by far the best forum I have found for the FX and has the same format as my SVT sites.

#2 ·
FX 35 is a lot more bang for the buck

Other than the engine, wheels & suspension they are pretty much the same car. The V-6 is no slouch. I have a Corvette which is my go-fascar and saw no need for spending the extra $10k+. I did try to buy a left-over 03 FX45 but they still wanted too much $$$
I am sure your wife will be very happy with the 35 and so will you.

#3 ·
I’m facing the same dilemma right now, and my wife also says 35 is the way to go - not just because of the 10K difference, but also because of the rising gas prices. We test drove FX35 a couple of weeks ago, and it felt… different. I’ve been driving V8s for quite a while now, so I guess I’m really used to the amount of low end power. V6 felt sluggish from 0 to around 3K rpm compared to my V8 X5, but then it opened up and felt much better. Being said that, I have to admit that I myself have hard time justifying 10K price tag on the extra 35 horses of FX45.

#4 ·
Im a very happy FX35 owner and very happy that I bought a 35 rather than the 45. :D

In my whole life I was always buying the V8's (big is better theory).

But my 35 has blown away one of my V8's. I have even challanged a motorcycle up a hill and won. My car is not close to being sluggish. When I think sluggish I remember what driving the rx330 felt like.

Comes down to personal choice, but I feel if she is happy with the 35 than let her have it. IMO

#5 ·
The '35 with a few mods is fdeffinitely the way to go, IMO. Given your local, I'd also recommend the RWD unless you do a lot of driving up north; even lighter, faster and more responsive.

#6 ·
Go with the 35...$$$ doesnt add up for the 45 and better bang for buck with the 35. I also have a DD with a V8. You cant compare the two, as they have different tourque curves. The 35's power opens up after 3k. Is it going to be your ride our your wifes?

#7 ·
toofast4u said:
I am currently working on buying a new FX for my wife and had some questions. Is there anything pre-delivery I should be aware of? I am trying to justify the FX45 over the FX35, but I am losing the battle since it is a 10k difference for basically a slightly larger motor. Trust me I am all for the V-8 my daily driver is a 600 rwhp 03 Cobra, but some how my wife doesn't understand. How much faster/more powerful is the FX45 really? I will probably just throw a few mods on the FX35.

This is by far the best forum I have found for the FX and has the same format as my SVT sites.
I picked up a 03 leftover fx45 recently and if i take all the options into account, it was only about $1500 more than a 04 FX35 with the same options...

I was going to buy a 04 FX35 as well but i thought for $1500 extra, the fx45 was well worth the money. If you can find a leftover 03 FX35, I'd say that would be the best deal. I found one but too bad it wasn't 4wd.

#8 ·
OIIIIIIO said:
Is it going to be your ride our your wifes?
Wifes daily driver and family weekend car. I will want to use it to trailer my car to the track on weekends, but nothing major. She has an 2002 Acura MDX now so this has more power then that.

#9 ·
toofast4u, Have you test driven the FX yet? Maybe more importantly has your wife test driven? I ask because if you're trying to decide between the 45 and the 35 you must also be thinking of the Sport suspension. I love the Sport suspension, but I'm a single guy, and I've read of a couple of folks who've had to get rid of their FXs because the sport suspension wasn't quite the wife's idea of "family fun." Then again, I've read of some who have to fight over who gets to drive the FX! The sport suspension is standard on the 45 and optional on the 35.

In terms of the engine, as mentioned before you can mod the 35. And this forum is certainly the place to find out about FX mods.

#10 ·
Yes we have driven the FX35 and it was definitely different then any other vehicle I have driven. I would like the sport package, but it is not in her best interest. My car has no rubber as it was all replaced with Delrin and open track components which is what I prefer.

I am currently considering the FX35 in Beryllium with Brick interior with the Touring, Technology, Splash Guards, and cargo protector. The problem is they want to get me with a 2.6k loss to get out of the MDX and still charger 1.5k over invoice. They want to pay me KBB to the dollar to trade-in the MDX. I need to go to a different dealership and maybe carmax to see what they offer.

The other thing I need to get use to is the mods for these cars are different then I am use to. Like the grounding kit thing I have never seen or heard of before.

#11 ·
toofast4u said:
The other thing I need to get use to is the mods for these cars are different then I am use to. Like the grounding kit thing I have never seen or heard of before.
I wouldn't really worry about that. Ground kits are universal to any car if you care to do it, but it's not really considered a REAL performance mod. Mods for the VQ are pretty standard: Intake, lightweight crank pulley and exhaust mods; that's about it asside for a couple handling items. There IS the supercharger route, though...

#12 ·
You've got to decide what you want between the 2 of you. However, the difference in price between comparably equipped vehicles is around just over $6k, not $10k. Yes, the 35 gets slightly better mileage but I think we're talking around 1 -3 MPG. If you're not interested in the Sport Package or AWD, then there is a huge difference in price... but then you are talking very different packages.

If you're looking to tinker and mod, then there is no question that the 35 is the way to go. You can leverage what's been done on the VQ engine on the G35's to a large extent if that's your interest.

I had to make the same decision and the answer was easy for me. For the extra $6k I got the 45 and no regrets.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Gary...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.