Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently changed the differential and transmission oil. It was on saturday. After that, 5 of the 7 days passed, the transmission did the same failure, it has a lag of 3 to 5 seconds when shifting from Reverse to Drive. After the transmission reach normal temperature, it behaves normal. I left it at the dealer (it has warranty until 2013) this saturday and they assure it has not made the failure and if it doesn't they are. Ot authorized by the warranty dept to open the tranny to check it. Do you have any idea of what can be the root cause and how to trigger it to shiw the symtoms? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I experienced the similar issue before and not happening consistently. I was told by the infiniti service department that my car could be low on transmission fluid which I don't think is the cause here(since you got it replaced recently).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's exactly they said at first. But the said they checked and the level was correct. I left it 1 week on the dealer and they said they checked it all 5 days and didn't showed any problem. I don't know, maybe it was gone, or maybe they just don't want to accept it to avoid work on the trans... I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and test it with the tech at my side...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I could replicate this every morning in the winter when my FX was parked outside... now I park so I don't need to back up to get out and no problems... :lol:

Replaced my transmission fluid in the summer... that winter I still noticed a lag going from R to D when I had to back up when the car was still cold... not sure what the problem really is except I expect my transmission to fail sooner than most other FXers... I've recently had the shift lag come back again... this time in the summer after the car is first started... after warming up, the problems disappear... my dealer "never" found a problem when I had it in either...

·
Registered
5 Posts
DatMan said:
I could replicate this every morning in the winter when my FX was parked outside... now I park so I don't need to back up to get out and no problems... :lol:

Replaced my transmission fluid in the summer... that winter I still noticed a lag going from R to D when I had to back up when the car was still cold... not sure what the problem really is except I expect my transmission to fail sooner than most other FXers... I've recently had the shift lag come back again... this time in the summer after the car is first started... after warming up, the problems disappear... my dealer "never" found a problem when I had it in either...
Cooper Mini's have the same problems but I have found when working on them that it's usually a bad ground to whatever box controls your transmission. Lack of full voltage causes the delay on those, perhaps you can check the same on your FX?

David

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SimpleFX / DatMan: I tested FX with the tech group leader on my side and it did the problem (the shift lag) and also the throttle idling problem when cold starting came back. I left it again at the dealer and after a hard discussion with the service manager, they began to perform tests (finally after 7 days of doing nothing!). Warranty department authorized the dealer to open the "valves body" to check the seals and solenoids (which was one of the things I said to them from the beginning). I have to wait more...

As for the throttle idling problem when cold starting, they can't find anything yet. They cleaned the throttle body 2 weeks ago and the problem was gone.... now is back...

DavisBlaine: That's a good alternative to check.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Sounds good... keep us updated... as my FX is now outta warranty, there's nothing I can really do but knowing the source of the problem would be nice...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, since when are you having problems with the tranny?

I started experiencing problems since the transmission oil change ( 2 weeks ago).

They called me and told me that they will replace the whole transmission. They found metal residues on the oil (which is new). But if you are experiencing this problem since a long time ago, it like doesn't make sense it would be the same... I'll ask for more information for what they found. But, since when are you having problems with the tranny?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I've had problems with my transmission for a LONG time... did a fluid change and they didn't notice anything irregular with the old fluid so... nothing done for me...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I too have been experiencing this issue since last winter in my '08 FX35. Now that the colder temps are coming back here in NY, it is starting up again.

Start it up cold in AM, shift to R to back out of driveway, then shift to D....no gear engagement for 2-3 seconds. Does not happen all the time...maybe once every 2 weeks (last year)
last week it happened 3x out of the 7 days...

Took it to my dealer & explained situation. Had the truck for 2 days. Today they tell me they ordered a valve body for the trans! Woo hoo, it happened for them.

The truck currently has 52k miles on the clock. I purchased the truck used last November with 42k miles on it & purchased the Infiniti Elite 2 year, 24k mile extended warranty. Hopefully Ill get the truck back & all will be fixed.
the '12 G37x I have for a loaner sure is sweet though ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
It sounds like the transmission fuild is not rated to be used in freezing temps. The transmission fluid may not be flowing well until it warm up. Hence, the 5 second lag when it is cold. You may want to consider using an synthetic transmission fluid like Royal Purple. Synthetic fluids usually flows better in freezing temps. Royal Purple is rated to be used in matic-J fluid applications for our trucks. I use matic-S fluid because this is what Nissan now sell in place of matic-J at the dealerships , but I rarely have freezing temps here in GA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Puerto Rico (95 F degrees all year) and it was doing it all mornings since they changed the oil. One week later they noticed metal pieces on the oil. I waited 2 months for a new transmission (came from japan), but paid nothing. The new trans works fine but still on the morning when cold lags loke 2 seconds so I agree it must be the oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This sounds like a valve body acting up. Ours has done this lag since 125k. I wont replace the valve body until complete failure occurs. The car has 186k.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They replaced the whole transmission for "a new one" in october 12. They charged 10k ti Infiniti for that. That same week is continue with the lag. Same as when they performed the oil change. Thats why I think the oil they are using is not the correct

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I was reading most of the transmission related topics here. I am getting an AWD service and coolant flush done and was thinking of getting a transmission hot flush done as well (recommended by dealer apparently every 30k). My 2007 FX has 55k miles on and I've never done a transmission flush and my head is spinning trying to figure out whether I should do this transmission flush or not :crazyeyes: Any advice? I'd trust the word of forum members over any dealership :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine had 50k when done... My opinion: if it is working well, dont do it... But you better consult with an expert (note I said "expert", not dealer)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There comes the problem. If haven't done before, all the clutch properties (and whatever) is with the old oil. If you replace it now, maybe yoy can have problems. Thats why some people take out the oil, filter it and take it back. But, in my opinion, you are doing nothing because the viscosity is already lost... I was under warranty (and still be until aug 2013) and my transmission was replaced. Waited 2 months to arrive from japan...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I recently changed the differential and transmission oil. It was on saturday. After that, 5 of the 7 days passed, the transmission did the same failure, it has a lag of 3 to 5 seconds when shifting from Reverse to Drive. After the transmission reach normal temperature, it behaves normal. I left it at the dealer (it has warranty until 2013) this saturday and they assure it has not made the failure and if it doesn't they are. Ot authorized by the warranty dept to open the tranny to check it. Do you have any idea of what can be the root cause and how to trigger it to shiw the symtoms? Thanks
How did you finally handle this

1 - 19 of 19 Posts