Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this count as an engine mod? I just couldn't figure out a good place to post this question. :wink:

I am seriously considering swapping in a 6-speed manual transmisson from a G35/350Z into my FX. To begin my research I need to get my hands on the dimensions of both the automatic as well as the manual. Also, does anyone have any good pictures of the underneath of a G35 or 350Z with either a manual or automatic tranny?

While this is probably a fruitless endevor, I appreciate any leads. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I hate it when this subject comes up because it reminds me how much I wish it had a 6 speed. :(

Since you've given this some thought for a while...

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3640

...what's your preliminary estimate of cost? I suppose you could sell your existing tranny -- maybe?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
particlefx said:
I hate it when this subject comes up because it reminds me how much I wish it had a 6 speed. :(

Since you've given this some thought for a while...

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3640

...what's your preliminary estimate of cost? I suppose you could sell your existing tranny -- maybe?
Yea, been tossing this idea around and will probably kick it around for a while and gather info.

As far as costs, I still need to find a source for a used 6-speed. I bet you that the FX's auto, especially with low mileage, is worth a fair amount and may offset the cost of the 6-speed. It will just depend on the market. The other costs will include:

New parts:
1. clutch
2. pressure plate
3. flywheel
4. shifter
5. Hydralics
6. Transmission mount

Used:
1. Transmission
2. Pedal assembly
3. Z-shift boot & shift knob (maybe G35)
4. Driveshaft?? Maybe able to reuse the factory one. Just depends on the manual transmisson length vs. the auto. In a Camaro, they are exactly the same and are interchangeable. Probably won't get that lucky though.
5. Any wiring/sensors

Services:
1. Re-flash ECU?

Fabrication:
1. Cross member- which I will build

So I guess it will cost about $1500-$2000 so to do the swap.

Now I just need to do some measurements....

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
It intrigues me that for a few dollars more (and i think your $ projection is low),you could create an automatic with a matched Torque converter that would be faster and more consistent...whatever! :roll:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's all about rowing through the gears! Automatic guys sometimes just don't get it. :wink:

As far as my estimate, I'm just going off my last tranny swap I did in a Camaro and added some. Went from a T-5 5-speed to a T-56 6-speed.

So up it to $2500. Still worth it if it makes the driving experience more enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I was a sponsored drag racer for a most of my adult life,but just as many racers have done..you can have control and as much or more speed with an automatic. Many shifters do not know what an automatic can do until they are beaten by one!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brnjug said:
I was a sponsored drag racer for a most of my adult life,but just as many racers have done..you can have control and as much or more speed with an automatic. Many shifters do not know what an automatic can do until they are beaten by one!
Oh don't get me wrong, I KNOW automatics are better for drag racing. No doubt about it. Having a consistant launch time and time again is worth it alone. I just think shifting makes it more fun (in my opinion) going down the 1320 that's all and on the street there's no comparison.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree. For me, there is no comparison in the fun factor of manually/clutch shifting. I bought this car hoping the look, HP , handling and manual mode would cover/compensate my love for manual shifting. I have also put in the level 10 shift kit to help, but I do really miss a manual. Don't think I would go to the pain of a mod though...ouch. I will go back to a manual on my next vehicle, problem is that most MFG's seem to be moving toward automatics exclusively.

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is an ambitious project, I hope you go forward with it. Definitely keep us updated - I'm sure there are many on this board that will be very envious.

I can honestly say that the transmission is the one thing I dislike/regret on the FX. I really would have loved a 6-speed manual FX... As others have said, the manumatic shift mode sucks. Not even hardly worth it, IMHO. I can't get it to downshift consistently, and that pisses me off. It's so bad, I pretty much have given up on it.

I'd be very interested to see how much this project runs you if you do end up going through with it.

brnjug - What enhancements are available and how much do they run? Torque converter, shift kit, and this "black box" I hear about? How much would all of that run?

Matthew

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Parts wise:
The valve body is 650 or 750(line pressures and quickens shift)

Torque converter is 1000-1200 for a modular unit with higher stall and quicker recovery(the benefit of a new unit v rebuilt is the parts will give you the stall and the recovery from the slippage,a rebuilt will give only stall,but recovery is stock,also the weight is less on the modular

The black box delays the shift 300-700rpm which is the first thing we all complain about,straight wire corrects that.Level 10 was not including that.I suggested to Pat thatthis was needed to to give folks the same response that I have and like.They accomplish some of this in the valve body which is better than what I have,but it does not get you all the way there

There is a thread
Once I get the re flash,they will upgrade my valve body and raise internal pressures to those permitted in the re flash
With labor and fluids it is probably 2500+

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.