Infiniti FX Forum banner

Trailer Brake Controller?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  phugacity 
#1 ·
Anyone installed one? Checked the forum archives and couldn't find anything. Just got my super cheap OEM (I wish) hitch installed and would like to do a brake controller next. I'm pulling a light race car and will be probably about 3000lbs total. The trailer has an electric brake setup that I'd like to use if possible. I can't find a brake controller manufacturer that can tell me if one will work w/out causing electrical problems. The dealer seems to think tapping into the brake light wire can cause problems w/ the LED taillights. He suggested I contact Infiniti customer relations....I sent them an email, but I'm not getting my hopes up on that route. :roll:

Any help would be appreciated. BTW, got mine installed for $800 total (including tax). Seems like that may have been a relatively decent deal if some places are quoting $1200!

#2 ·
mhibbs said:
Any help would be appreciated. BTW, got mine installed for $800 total (including tax). Seems like that may have been a relatively decent deal if some places are quoting $1200!
Still?! I might be installing a hitch myself at those ridiculous prices.

#3 ·
Had a Curt Class III hitch from JC Whitney (about $170 shipped to Canada, and $65 for installation) put on my FX45. Was also wondering about an electric brake controller. Has anyone have any suggestions as to what will easily work with the FX. I understand the problem is not the controller but wiring to the vehicle.
Cheers
Jim

#4 ·
While I do not have an electric controller on my FX 35, since my horse trailer has surge activated brakes, I do have one installed on my Land Cruiser. You can get a variety of electric controllers most of which attach to the wiring under the hood. I would check with the manufacturer of the controller not the Infinity dealer. In my experience most dealers know next to nothing about towing and trailering unless they sell full size pickups. The electronics and wiring for the brakes on the Nissan pickups should not be much different than on the sedans so LED lights and such are not a concern. The electric controller will merely take a small current from the when you activate the brakes and send it to the controller. The signal from the car brake system to the lights is either on or off, not proportional, and the current load used by the controller should not be noticed by the brake lights. The controller and the brakes should have an independent source of current to send a proportional signal to the trailer braking system.

You should be able to get a good controller and a Curt hitch installed for on the order of $600 or less. I installed a Curt on the FX 35 with a receiver for about $250 a couple of years ago. This included paying a U-Haul mechanic about $50 to fish two of the bolts through the hitch member. What a pain the two bolts are when doing the installation yourself. Much cursing before taking it to UHaul. It was worth $50 to get the bolts fished through the cross member and it took the mechanic who installs these things regularly a half hour for just two bolts.

The controllers I have worked with are relatively easy to install but may require a lift or at least jack stands so you can crawl under the car to run wiring from engine compartment to the rear of the car. You may also have to replace the plug that comes with the hitch with a round five blade plug or some other plug compatible with your trailer.

If you plan to use the FX to put a boat in the water, you may want to think about it if you do not have four wheel drive. The traction is lousy and unless you have a good surface you may not have sufficient traction to pull a boat in and out of the water. I do not know. I do know that I cannot pull a 2,500 lb trailer on dry grass if there is any slope with my two wheel drive FX but it is no problem with the LC.

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.