Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased and put on these valve stem caps - NISMO UNIVERSAL CHROME TIRE AIR VALVE STEM CAPS. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230907293131?ss ... 1497.l2649

It seems that the TPMS is working fine since, I too had concerns at first and took a highway drive with the TPMS info display on to see if the tire pressure psi changed, and it did as it normally would (since as the tires get hotter the air expands and psi increases a bit).

Is it possible that i am now getting a false reading because of them?

In addition, I did see the post above saying that "Using steel or chrome caps on wheels with TPMS is a big no-no, because the dissimilar metals (steel and aluminum) will bond themselves together over time, like a weld. Thus, they don't come apart and it ruins the TPMS sensor." Should i therefore remove them and put back on the basic black plastic caps?

is the valve stem cap a component of the TPMS? (meaning the TPMS works fine without any caps)?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
SamB said:
Is it possible that i am now getting a false reading because of them?
Why would you think that?

SamB said:
In addition, I did see the post above saying that "Using steel or chrome caps on wheels with TPMS is a big no-no, because the dissimilar metals (steel and aluminum) will bond themselves together over time, like a weld. Thus, they don't come apart and it ruins the TPMS sensor." Should i therefore remove them and put back on the basic black plastic caps?
Yes good idea to do so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Engineer here. Dissimilar metals should not cause any problem other than possible seizure, but that's really remote (unless you really crank them down and leave them that way for a long time). Best to either use plastic or the same metal. PM me if you want more info. Doubt seriously if you need to worry about any damage.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
SamB said:
I just purchased and put on these valve stem caps -SNIP- Is it possible that i am now getting a false reading because of them?
I'm an engineering technologist with a lot of experience, and I can't see how a chrome-plated valve stem cap can affect the signal from a TPMS signal. I HAVE had sensors lose their calibration...Infiniti could never give me a good reason why that might have happened, but they were more than happy to charge me to re-calibrate them. Even after calibration the air pressure readout on my MFD never matches what I read on my pressure gauge.
SamB said:
I guess if you really cranked them on dry and only checked your air pressure once every five years it could be an issue. I'm in the habit of checking my air pressure regularly, and if I take the valve stem caps off I usually use a small amount of lubricant on the threads before re-installing the caps. In the thirty years or so that I have owned vehicles I have never had a valve stem cap, whether metal or plastic or whatever, seize on to a valve stem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Galvanic corrosion is not what you need to be concerned with. If, however, you have some big, lunky cap and crank it down on a dirty, soft aluminum valve stem (like all TPMS senders use), you're going to have trouble unscrewing it. The chances are then good that you can do damage to the TPMS sender. Simple preventative measures - don't cross-thread, keep the valve stem clean, use a plastic, aluminum or plastic lined cap, put a little lubricant on the threads and - most important - don't give it that one "extra turn" when installing the cap. You don't need to do them all, just be smart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts