Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys heard about this product?
I just turned on my TV and Tornado Fuel Saver commercial was on. I mean if whatever they say is true, this stuff is amazing!!
check out this site http://www.tornadofuelsaver.com
20 HP gain & Save 5 MPG for $90?? To good to be true!!
I just wanted some comments from FXers before I actually order one. This could be even better than those CAIs out there for our FX! Check it out and please let me know what you FXers think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
Good grief, do these people have no shame? Dude, save your money; if it sounds too good to be true, it is. This is yet another case of modern snake oil at it's finest, similar to the Tornado Electric Supercharger, yet this one isn't even powered; gimme a break. :roll: Hmm, let's see, a littel twirly thing that spins as the intake air passes over it... lots of HP AND better gas milage... RIIIIIIIIGHT; makes perfect sense to me. Why spend $250 on a carefully engineered CAI that pnly nets you 5-7HP when you can have this beauty? Do yourself a favor, man, forget you ever saw this thing; this type of product has been poluting the net for a long time and has been bashed beyond recognition on just about every automotive forum there is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MustGoFastR said:
Good grief, do these people have no shame? Dude, save your money; if it sounds too good to be true, it is. This is yet another case of modern snake oil at it's finest, similar to the Tornado Electric Supercharger, yet this one isn't even powered; gimme a break. :roll: Hmm, let's see, a littel twirly thing that spins as the intake air passes over it... lots of HP AND better gas milage... RIIIIIIIIGHT; makes perfect sense to me. Why spend $250 on a carefully engineered CAI that pnly nets you 5-7HP when you can have this beauty? Do yourself a favor, man, forget you ever saw this thing; this type of product has been poluting the net for a long time and has been bashed beyond recognition on just about every automotive forum there is.
There's my answer. Thanks Must! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
creamin said:
MustGoFastR said:
Good grief, do these people have no shame? Dude, save your money; if it sounds too good to be true, it is. This is yet another case of modern snake oil at it's finest, similar to the Tornado Electric Supercharger, yet this one isn't even powered; gimme a break. :roll: Hmm, let's see, a littel twirly thing that spins as the intake air passes over it... lots of HP AND better gas milage... RIIIIIIIIGHT; makes perfect sense to me. Why spend $250 on a carefully engineered CAI that pnly nets you 5-7HP when you can have this beauty? Do yourself a favor, man, forget you ever saw this thing; this type of product has been poluting the net for a long time and has been bashed beyond recognition on just about every automotive forum there is.
There's my answer. Thanks Must! :D
Yeah, but the Infomercial & their Website says ............................. :roll: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I've seen this tornado thing for many years now, and I'm suprised that it's lasted this long. That must mean that it works for people right? Or they've done a great job marketing this thing, whether it works or not.
My $0.02 just so I can put the Mech Engr degree to use for something that interests me...
Air does flow at a much higher rate with lower restriction/turbulence if it can move through a circular x-sect in swirls, eddies, or vortices. Just like the water going down your sink will naturally flow in a minimal resistance pattern-swirl.

The tornado takes the air after it passes the filter and promotes a swirl pattern of flow-definitely increasing the potential velocity on the way to the throttle. However, this swirl can't really hold its form through the throttle plate, even if it's wide open. Additionally, you can't hold a swirl through the highly turbulent intake plenum, where all the air gets split into the 6 runners.

Therefore, it all depends on where the bottleneck in the system is. It could be at the filter/afm, throttle body, or intake plenum, or intake ports on the head (generally). If the natural airflow botteneck occurs between the filter/afm and throttle, then you can expect gains by swirling the air between these two points with the tornado. It all depends on the particular engine and intake system.

The other point is that in theory, it should only work at relatively high flow rates. At low airflow it could even present a restriction since there isn't that much turbulence to reduce. I believe all their testing is done at some RPM that is near redline for their test vehicles- some tricky marketing if you ask me.

I'd say that if you own the exact car they did testing on, then dump the $70 and give it a shot. Otherwise, I think there's prob some better ways to spend the cash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kevbohks said:
I've seen this tornado thing for many years now, and I'm suprised that it's lasted this long. That must mean that it works for people right? Or they've done a great job marketing this thing, whether it works or not.
My $0.02 just so I can put the Mech Engr degree to use for something that interests me...
Air does flow at a much higher rate with lower restriction/turbulence if it can move through a circular x-sect in swirls, eddies, or vortices. Just like the water going down your sink will naturally flow in a minimal resistance pattern-swirl.

The tornado takes the air after it passes the filter and promotes a swirl pattern of flow-definitely increasing the potential velocity on the way to the throttle. However, this swirl can't really hold its form through the throttle plate, even if it's wide open. Additionally, you can't hold a swirl through the highly turbulent intake plenum, where all the air gets split into the 6 runners.

Therefore, it all depends on where the bottleneck in the system is. It could be at the filter/afm, throttle body, or intake plenum, or intake ports on the head (generally). If the natural airflow botteneck occurs between the filter/afm and throttle, then you can expect gains by swirling the air between these two points with the tornado. It all depends on the particular engine and intake system.

The other point is that in theory, it should only work at relatively high flow rates. At low airflow it could even present a restriction since there isn't that much turbulence to reduce. I believe all their testing is done at some RPM that is near redline for their test vehicles- some tricky marketing if you ask me.

I'd say that if you own the exact car they did testing on, then dump the $70 and give it a shot. Otherwise, I think there's prob some better ways to spend the cash.
Thanks for your well written advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Snake oil, pure and simple.

Car and truck manufactures spend millions of dollars a year on R&D trying to improve the fuel economy of their vehicles. If there was a simple 5 dollar part that could really do what this company claims two things would have happened. This company would have been bought out for millions and every new car and truck would have one. Since neither has happened I will revert back to the snake oil claim.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top