Infiniti FX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead and ordered Ver 6.3 for my navigation. It seems to have more coverage according to the maps on the website, so we'll see. I use my navigation pretty regularly and have had issues with my 6.1 not showing roads and POI's. Anyone else purchase or plan on purchasing the new ver?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Want to own yours for free? Know anyone with a DVD recorder? 8)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would magine that there is some sort of encryption on the CD and DVD to prevent people from recording it. They asked me for my VIN when I ordered the new version. I couldn't complete the order without it..hmmm :?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
mm25fx35 said:
Anyone else purchase or plan on purchasing the new ver?
I will- much as I hope they'll have made GUI (and especially POI location) improvements, I'm not gonna count on it. I want the updated street information at least. Be sure to report in when you get it!

I have a friend who has the new Prius- and let me tell you, the Toyota system beats the **** out of the Zenrin system when it comes to location and POIs- if you ask it where you are, it tries to extrapolate a street address and tells you city and county, instead of the useless "Prev/Cur/Next" street, POIs work ask you'd expect (find the nearest "XYZ"s actually works) and it will give you 2 or 3 alternative routes when you enter an address with estimated times for each. I still contend the Zenrin system really has no idea where you really "are" other than Lat/Lon.

<sigh>

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
mm25fx35 said:
I would magine that there is some sort of encryption on the CD and DVD to prevent people from recording it. They asked me for my VIN when I ordered the new version. I couldn't complete the order without it..hmmm :?
I do know that Acura's Navi DVD can NOT be copied, so I would be surprised it Infiniti "allowed" it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
mm25fx35 said:
It seems to have more coverage according to the maps on the website, so we'll see.
For us relative newbies; could you provide the link to the referenced website :n00b: Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be sure to let you guys know of any improvements that I come across. I know other manufactures have better nav systems, but I see it as better than nothing at all. A friend of mine has the new Honda Accord and the touch screen, voice recognition and details are amazing. Honda (Acura) did their homework with whomever they teamed up with and have a very well put together system.

I 'll still take mine over a seat full of maps........ :D

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
mm25fx35 said:
I'll be sure to let you guys know of any improvements that I come across. I know other manufactures have better nav systems, but I see it as better than nothing at all. A friend of mine has the new Honda Accord and the touch screen, voice recognition and details are amazing. Honda (Acura) did their homework with whomever they teamed up with and have a very well put together system.

I 'll still take mine over a seat full of maps........ :D
they teamed with alpine and toyota teamed up with denso...and obviously, those alliances cost more than with zenrin..

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had responded about getting an update for free on FA. It must be a Canadian thing then but I was told by my dealer that I get one free update with the purchase of the car.

Keep in mind that when I called in to order it I called the 1-800 number from the back of the navi manual and not Zenrin directly.
I'm not sure if you guys in the States get a free update as well but if you do you can guarantee that Zenrin isn't going to offer it when you call them!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
From previous people that bought the 6.2 upgrade, they got two discs; one was the NAV info. disc that stays in the player, the other was a firmware upgrade disc that upgraded the flash ROM memory/operating system of the nav system and is run before inserting the new database disc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, I completed my backup experiment. I took the nav DVD (v6.2) and burned a backup copy to a dual layer DVD. ($13 a pop).

Took out the original, stuck in my backup, turned the car back on. It brought up the nag screen twice, which was odd, but everything else worked fine. Plotted a couple of routes, heard the nav lady talking to me .. seemed like everything worked as expected.

Now, the bigger question concerns making a backup of the 'firmware' dvd that apparently comes with new versions ... :shock:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hmm, the nag screen glitch is a bit disconcerting, as I have the No Nog mod that'll dismiss it (only once). You know, if trusted with a backup for safekeeping, I'd have to try it out just once to make sure the data was safe and sound after shipping. :wink:

The firmware disc should just be a CD Rom, right? Did you run this before you tried out the new version? If so, what does it do when you stick it in?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Um .. I don't have the new v6.3 map dvd nor firmware. I tried this with v6.2. So I have no idea what media the firmware disc comes on, or if it's able to be backed up.

I assumed the double nav screen click was just a glitch on first insert .. I didn't try it twice. Probably should have ..

After reports that 6.3 doesn't look or behave differently, nor does it appear to have many POI updates, etc, I'm not super anxious anymore .. either that, or I'm anxious to get 6.4 next year or something.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Ah, sorry, miossed the 6.2 bit. You gonna try it out again to see if the glitch repeats consistently or just a one time thing?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah, it was a one time thing.

I am now driving around using the backup. The double-nag screen only comes up when you insert a different dvd .. upon restarting the car, it only comes up once. .. Everything seems completely normal.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Nice! 8)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Indeed, no, I don't have the new 6.3 version. If I had a better idea concerning the 'firmware' disc and it's .. backupability .. and a count of folks who'd like to be backup sites, I could invest in the new version.

I'd assume that once someone you've installed the firmware disc, you probably don't have any need for it anymore, right? Maybe mm25fx35 could help with that .. mm25fx35, can you pop that firmware disc in your PC and look at it's contents? How big is it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.