Infiniti FX Forum banner

To replace cam, must remove engine?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  arcticpt 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 FX45 with a noisy (ticking) valve train. I replaced the tensioners but the noise persists. Upon inspection, an exhaust cam seems to have a worn lobe. I'd like to replace the cam, but the dealership and my local service station (and the workshop manual) say the engine must be removed in order to pull the head.

Can the cam be replaced without pulling the head? Or worse yet, the engine? Thanks.

#3 ·
It's possible to shim the valve with the cam in place? You did this yourself, or you used a repair shop? (And what's a 'bucket'? :)

I discussed this a bit with my local shop and they said Infiniti sells a set of shims, only one of which is probably needed. But I didn't get a sense of how hard the repair is or the cost. I was concerned cause it sounded like they had never attempted this kind of repair before. At least not on my engine.

Thanks for replying.

#4 ·
If your not mechanically inclined I wouldn't try doing it.But here is what I did.I found the bucket that was noisy and using a filler gauge I found what the difference I needed to make up,meaning I had a .040" lash at cold when I should have had only .08-.10(cold).I took some shim material I had and cut to fit under the factory shim to make up the difference which brought it to about .010 cold.I made sure I drilled several holes(1/8")to make sure it was still getting lubrication.I have about 1500 miles now and still quiet.I hope this helps.

#6 ·
I have same problem in my FX45, only 120000 miles, noise comes from driver site, from exhaust cam sprocket?? Worse when cold, been trying to change different oil, now using conventional 20W50, I am in FLorida =) Also has a terrible smoking problem now, planning to replace valve stim gasgets, maybe replace ppiston rings too???, if I can open oilpan under, so I don't have to take engine out??? Don't know yet...., anybody else having a smoking problem?? What did you do?? And, what did you mean by "shim the valve bucket"?? Regular valve adjusting?? I am planning to do that too, did it help with rattling noise?? So , I don't have to replace exhaust cam sprocket/ maybe both sprockets?? Thanks, Infiniti is the BEST!!!And, NO, when you change exhaust cam, you don't have to take engine out, have to open timing chain cover, maybe take radiator out, but, YES, you can do that engine in place!!! Thay are trying to "pill your leg", it is all about money $$$$$$$=((

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.