Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find the best tire for my 2016 QX70s. I’m looking for a high tread life, low road noise, all season, dry/wet, and reasonable price ($300.00 per tire). My driving style is more of a cruiser and for the most part, I’m only drive the car on the weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Check the reviews on tirerack.com. I think for a smooth driving experience most have gone with Michelin or Continental tires. On mine I went from the stock Bridgestones to Hankook but I can't recommend the Hankooks for wet road conditions. The old Bridgestones were great but quite expensive when I went to replace with same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the reviews on tirerack.com. I think for a smooth driving experience most have gone with Michelin or Continental tires. On mine I went from the stock Bridgestones to Hankook but I can't recommend the Hankooks for wet road conditions. The old Bridgestones were great but quite expensive when I went to replace with same.
I think I’m going in this order
1. Yokohama Geolandar X-CV
2. Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400
3. Pirelli P Zero
4. Continental Sport Contact 5

I’ll check on the Michelin and Hankook (based on what you are saying, I’ll probably pass on the Hankook)

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I'm not sure if they are still available but, back in the day, the Yokohama Spec X was considered to be one of the best for our cars. Don't know if the Geolander is as highly regarded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to Nokian tires, or tyres. Anyway. I have 21” wheels, one of the few manu that have that size. Better than original, all season, not just all weather. Love every set I’ve bought.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Trying to find the best tire for my 2016 QX70s. I’m looking for a high tread life, low road noise, all season, dry/wet, and reasonable price ($300.00 per tire). My driving style is more of a cruiser and for the most part, I’m only drive the car on the weekend.
Apologies for lengthy post but there’s a lot to break down here...
I’ve 21’s on my 12’ FX50S obviously and hate the Duelers (2nd set and still hate them and should’ve done the research years ago instead of listening to the Dealership which sells drumroll please Bridgestone; which are “ok” in dry conditions but barely passable in the rain and downright dangerous in snow).
So, I’ve been looking for year round high performance tires for Chicagoland area. I’ve a 2nd set of Nokians on my wife’s car which I love (use them year round to keep her safe and actually JUST replaced after 4 years of use a month ago). This led me to see if I could find European “All Weather” tires again in our size.
The All weather “Quatrac Pro’s” are designed better than all season and are designed with excellent handling in dry/wet/ and snow - hence the snow flake emblems on the sidewall. In Europe you can drive in 4 seasons of weather in one day so they take it seriously. If you are driving in really heavy snow then go with 2 sets... one designated for winter but otherwise...
I researched the death out of this and finally came up with this pick for the 50S... 4.5-5 star rating on tire rack and elsewhere (read the reviews... ). The Pirelli Scorpion Verde’s used to be great but suck now (read the latest reviews). Verdstein Quatrac Pro ~$1300 delivered to you or a shop of your choosing. Personally, ordering those next. Our 265 45 R21 are actually for a measured 9” rim (ours are 9.5” so we have room to spare).
The Quatrac’s are also a measured rim width of 9” and fit perfectly at 275 45 R21 without any issues.
Lastly, each tire weighs 35 lbs instead of 37 lbs or more so less unsprung weight and rotational weight/mass which means better acceleration, more nimble handling, and less weight beats up your suspension far less over uneven roads, potholes, etc. These are designed perfectly for high powered cars and SUV’s (SUVs - BMW M5, X5, Audi Q7, etc).
BTW, I don’t represent anyone and this is one auto enthusiast’s well researched opinion and recommended choice based on untold hours of said research whilst trying to stay away from changing between two sets of wheels/tires every year like I do on my convertible (not that it gets driven in the winter, I just put the factory GT wheels back on before winter storage). So, these will be ordered and go on by this coming fall at the latest. That being said, Michelin Super Summer MP4S are for the convertible (pricey but unmatched, IMO) and were I considering running a seasonal tire and didn’t have the Verdstein choice, I’d go Michelin or Contis because of their decent reviews but both seem to start out great and traction tapers after 5000 mi to 10k mi. Tire Rack - read user reviews (especially the dates, how many miles used prior to review post, TYPE of vehicle - try to match yours as closely as possible, driving style, and where they are located... someone in Cali will have a far different frame of reference than Northern US or Midwest )
Also, read expert experience on track and real world conditions from Tire Rack and well as Car and Driver etc.
Wish I’d found the Verdsteins earlier so I could just say to you “ without exception I recommend this tire” or “had high expectations but...”. Unfortunately, I cannot but this is my personal choice and based on other high perf car owners and high perf SUV owners reviews looking for a year round solution, this looks very promising.
PS -the Pro’s replace the Quatrac 5 also with stellar reviews and the Quatrac 5 reviews will give you more depth on the reviews because they’ve been out for a few years now. There’s no magic bullet on tires unless you’ve dedicated ones but where slight compromises are necessary, these seem to be one of the best.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Weslake tires, falken

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put Continental EXTREME CONTACT DSW 06 tires on & they are amazing! SIZE: 295/40/21 168mph tires, handles excellent, quiet, long life and fits the 21 wheels beautifully. can email me if have any questions. [email protected]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I had the Spec X tires By Yokohama and they were great. I now have the Geolander by Yokohama and they are just as good if not better. Great on wet roads, Great on Dry Roads also good on Snow as well. My vote goes to the Geolander for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input. I’m going with the Yokohama Geolanders. Price, availablity, and the last response nailed it for me. I’ll keep you updated and let you know if I made the right choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to give an update, I got the Yokohama Geolanders and it is a completely different ride. Reduce road noise, better grip and feel. So far the roads have been dry but I did do one light rain day. I’ll do a update after more miles.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Please let us know how these work out on wet roads. I will be considering them when I come to the next tire change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's been a while, but I also have the DWS 06 in 295/40/21. They seem great, a bit softer than the Dunlop Sport 01 that I had previously, but a little softer isn't a bad thing on an FX50s. I was torn between the DWS 06 and the Michelin A/S 3+

I've previously run Vredestein summer tires on my FX and loved them. I don't know if they are still made, they were the Vredestein Sessanta Ultrac.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts