Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that, at least when the tires are cold, the tire pressure monitor in my FX always seems to show about 2 psi below what my handheld digital meter says. I got the digital meter after I was seeing a similar discrepency with a simple pencil-type tire gauge.

Any thoughts on which reading I should trust? After I've been driving a while, obviously the pressure on the tires goes up, but that doesn't help when trying to figure out how much air to put in initially.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i have noticed this too.

if you let the car sit in a nice shady area at a moderate temp (lets say 60 degrees) and then get the pressures to read 32 with the manual reader, then take it for a spin to get then to reg, it usually is 1-2 below what i just monitored.

the good news is that its consistent....so you can set them with your reader externally and then use the internal guage to check any discrepancy between wheels and overall pressure by adding a pound or two to what it tells you.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I don't think I have a problem with the accuracy of the t.p. monitors during normal (i.e. non-flat) use. However, an experience yesterday leads me to believe at least I have an issue with the 26psi notification.

Driving home from work yesterday (in the rain, I might add), all of a sudden I feel mush. First thing I think is flat. I bring up the tire pressure screen and I see 7psi (on one tire) immediately (in a split-second) followed by 0. Yes - Zero. Then the alert goes off. Thanks very much for notifying me AFTER I know it myself.

Pulled into a parking lot, found a level spot and changed it in the &%$!#(@ rain. I don't know which part was the toughest - having to lift the OEM 20" chrome into the cargo area :shock: or driving home on the weenie 18" temp. How embarrassing! :oops:

Caught a 1-1/2" chunk of twisted metal piece of something imbedded in the tread pretty much all the way. I couldn't believe it when the tire place showed it to me. I guess it could've been worse - they patched it (from the inside - $25) instead of having to buy one new tire. Only 12k miles on 'em. And the Goodyear RSAs are, for some reason, very difficult to find these days.

I'm planning on calling Infiniti CS just to gripe about the so-called alert function. Don't expect much to come of it. Good thing is - the dash low-tire icon works fine! :D

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
well...i think this was a fast flat where all of the air ran out in a matter of seconds. the system is prolly designed to notify you of :

(a) if the press drops to un unsafe level over time
(b) if air is running out slowly while you are driving.

if probably worked, but if it takes a few seconds to register the change in pressure, your tire is already flat. if i did notify you immediately, your tire would be flat a few seconds later anyhow.

thats my guess

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
yeah, thought of that. thanks for the input. let's see what Infiniti has to say...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with that. If I was programming the system to warn the driver i would set the input for the warning to be when the tire pressure drops below 26 psi. Since you saw the pressure at less then 26psi it should have nottified you the second the onboard sensor detected a pressure lower then 26.

Obviously this isn't hte case but it should be.

- Andy

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a question. On the Tire Pressure Monitor Screen, how do you tell which tire is showing which pressure? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
FX35Fan said:
I have a question. On the Tire Pressure Monitor Screen, how do you tell which tire is showing which pressure? Thanks.
You cant.... it's moronic, I know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.