Infiniti FX Forum banner

tire pressure discrepancy

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  GS400 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have searched this forum for a tire pressure issue that i had this morning, but I was unable to find one that was just like my case, so I decided to make a post in hope that someone can clear up my confusion.

This morning, after driving about a 1/2 mile my tire pressure alert sound went off. I stop and check the tire monitor system, and all the tires read 26 or 27. I make my way to my local STS which is maybe less than 5 miles away (driving maybe 40+ mph at most). At that point, the tire monitor system reads 27 or 28 for all the tires. I tell the STS guy that the pressures should read about 32, asking him to adjust them (I find out now that they should have been a little higher since they should read 32 cold?) I am then told that all of the tire pressures read exactly 32. The guy tells me that it may be as a result of one of the coldest mornings we had here in NJ this season (maybe high 30s), and to just keep an eye on it.

I was just curious whether you all have had the same experience of the tire pressure monitoring system showing a lower pressure than the actual manually measured tire pressure. If so, what did you do about it?

I plan to take this car on a 12 hour road trip next week, so would like any issues dealt with before i leave. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
before I put on my winter wheels and tires on I do have a similar situation on cold mornings (freezing or below) I can see almost 5 lbs difference between hot and cold, in these cases yes the low pressure alarm is activated and I don't see much of what I can do about it but get my other wheels on (no sensors).

#4 ·
Mine are within a couple of lbs. of my handheld gauge. Also, just driving the few miles you did can increase the PSI by a couple lbs. Try turning on the tire pressure screen when you first get in the vehicle in the morning (it will read *** until it can get a reading...usually within the first half mile), and leave it on for a while...you'll observe that you can get up several psi. As for the cold weather, it will most definately affect the pressure.

#5 ·
It seems fairly obvious to me that the guys tire pressure gauge at the service station was probably off.....I never rely on the spring type gauges, as they are inherently less accurate with marks at every 2 psi usually, not to mention they use a spring that can change with the outside temp, as well as have increased internal friction from dirt and debri that collects inside the gauge. The

Infiniti system could be off.......but I seriously doubt all FOUR electronicly state-of-art, reasonably new tire pressure sensors failed or are less accurate than a service garage's spring gauge.

Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.