Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First...thank you GeoFX
I stopped at the service part of my dealership,caught the service manager as he came to see the car(they always do),showed him the post and asked if this was possible.He went back to get the only tech that works on my car and he :p came back with the little yellow box."How many degrees?" Third try it took(minutes),he reminded me that some time more timing on the bottom costs you on top..I acknowledged that I knew that.

The smile on my face on the way home was priceless!!!

Will it last?We will check in a week or so when it goes back in for some work.
You will love the smile!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Gotta get in and do this this week...

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
First...thank you GeoFX
I stopped at the service part of my dealership,caught the service manager as he came to see the car(they always do),showed him the post and asked if this was possible.He went back to get the only tech that works on my car and he :p came back with the little yellow box."How many degrees?" Third try it took(minutes),he reminded me that some time more timing on the bottom costs you on top..I acknowledged that I knew that.

You will love the smile!
Cool! What were your findings? Increased throttle response and pickup from zero? That's what I noticed. However...

I agree...will it be permanent or will the ECU eventually adjust to it and push it back to original specs? MGFR told me that his tech said it's only temporary - who really knows though since the tech may have been thinking of a different method.

Need to do another 0-60 GTech run to validate our butt-dyno results...next Houston meet right? 8)

Amazing what that little yellow box can do, huh? :p

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Are you doing this at Southwest? More GTech runs this Saturday, then? :)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I know the Tech well,I will find out what else we can play with!!!

Bottom end punch particularly with the bigger motor and loser converter..smile,smile,smile

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
Since I know the Tech well,I will find out what else we can play with!!!

Bottom end punch particularly with the bigger motor and loser converter..smile,smile,smile
What kind of gas are you using? I'm on Chevron Premium 91...

Did he also reset your A/F ratios after the timing increase?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
particlefx said:
I'm guessing the yellow box was probably a dwell meter. Are you adjusting the timing to try and gain performance or fuel economy? Also, did the tech recommend just starting with a 2 degree advance? How far can it go - 15 or 20?
I was there originally to complain about my sorry gas mileage (~13 MPG). The Infiniti service manager who stopped by our Houston meet said to schedule an "alpha test" and check to see whether the A/F ratios were within spec. The tech proceeded to hook up the little yellow box and showed be that the A/F ratios were within spec. I then complained more about how crappy the MPG was and he asked if I only used premium gas. Said yes and then he arbitrarily upped the timing 2 degrees. He noted that I should see better performance and might get better MPG to boot.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is definitely not a dwell unit.This is not an area for crazy. Caution is a far better procedure.Once I know it lasts and I talk with the tech,I will proceed further.I would love to drop A/F by half a point.

The unit plugs into the ALDLport(I think I remindered that right),down by drivers left leg..I was sitting on a bench in front of the car talking to him about a friend who left the dealership.GM calls it a TechII

I run Mobile 93 octane(rarely Sunoco 93)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
GeoFX said:
MustGoFastR said:
Are you doing this at Southwest? More GTech runs this Saturday, then? :)
Naw, I'll stop by Clear Lake. I'm game for a meet on the SW side whenever everyone else is.

Oh, and the "little yellow box" is the ConsultII; it's the handheld interface for the ECU and car's systems.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not getting bogged down on name,there is a mobil unit for reading and programing on the fly and a large unit on wheels moved to the vehicle in shop

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
Once I know it lasts and I talk with the tech,I will proceed further.I would love to drop A/F by half a point.
My tech said he couldn't change the A/F ratios through the box. The A/F measurement readout is just a diagnostic test to see whether the engine is operating within spec. The only thing he did was reset the A/F ratios (by clearing the ECU) after the timing increase.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Now this is just too cool. Hopefully *crossing fingers* it will take and since most of us run 91+ octane anyway, the dealer can basically give us free hp! This is why I love these on-line communities.

Hey Geo, has your MPG gotten any better yet?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Golden Boy said:
Hey Geo, has your MPG gotten any better yet?
I've only been through half a tank with the new timing so can't really tell whether it's been good or bad for the MPG.

I filled up yesterday, reset my fuel econ meter, and took it for a spin on the highway. This week should be more telling regarding MPG since I'm 100% city driving to and from work (about 6 miles each way) and I use up a tank once a week. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had to run to Lancaster this AM,130 mile round trip...20.7 average which is .8-.9 higher than I have been lately/80mph with air on way back

ps This is probably permanent(may not survive battery disconnect though).If it stays in after the tool is disconnected it is good to go according to a GM service manager and their experience with OBDII and scan tools.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Infiniti allows +/-2 degrees to be changed in the timing and it will stay(maybe not after a battery disconnect).PinitiFX talked to Grubbs

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
Infiniti allows +/-2 degrees to be changed in the timing and it will stay(maybe not after a battery disconnect).PinitiFX talked to Grubbs
Thanks Jug. How long of a battery disconnect? I know some settings will stay cached in the computer during some maintainance operations like a battery change or something...

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No one is sure! Interesting? I will try to find out! The big 3 do a full program mod and it is permanent,tech cannot change pieces,Nissan/Inf allowing a few specific changes may be likewise permanent...it is running so strong now with the relearn I did plus the 2 degrees,I do not ever want to discnnect it.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
First...thank you GeoFX

You will love the smile!
Strong believer in giving Credit to where it is DUE and where it is EARNED. :D GeoFX & brnjugfx45, many of us here want to thank you for your effort and the Way in which you Share your findings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts