Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows how the Timing Advance is done using Consult II/III?

Looking for the exact procedure for doing the +2! (e.g. start -> select system -> ....)

thnx a lot!!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I will ask my Tech for the procedure...to be sure I understand...you or someone you know has a Consult 11/111 and you want to know what to do to program the +2?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's correct. I just need the procedure - a friend of mine has access to a consult II/III, but he doesn't know how to do it!

Thnx for the help

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My tech ,Hugh,is on vacation until Thursday...will get back to you after that

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
If there is an Infiniti or Nissan dealership,they should have a Consult 2/3(all US dealers are going to 3's).They may have been trained to use it,if not I will post,not PM the procedure

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats the benefit of this procedure?
There are a lot of Threads on this topic. Just do a search for "timing advance" 8)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
A Moderator may wish to sticky this,but it helps both 35/45's
Five steps
Hook up the unit to the ALDL port...underdash drivers side
1 Select engine
2 Select- Work support
3 Select- Target Ignition timing
4 select- up 2 degrees(that small o)
5 Select- update

confirm by printing out status

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice !!

Thanks brnjug, you really saved the day ;)

Just a short question left:

Hook up the unit to the ALDL port...underdash drivers side
Is this the ALDL same as the ODB II Port (shape see image) located lower left of drivers side? I remember ALDL being the old protocol used before they had ODBI...

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Yes,shows I am old school :roll:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found it inside the "Engine Control"-Part of the FX Service Manual (see attached files).

@brnjug: One last question:

After doing the procedure, shouldn't we use the option "IDLE AIR VOL LEARN" under the "Work Support" Menu? The timing advance most probably changes the IDLE Rpm, so we should re-learn the needed air volume for the new rpms. Can you corroborate this??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Hugh has never adjusted anything else as a result of the +2..if that helps
I have seen no shift in idle speed

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok - that helps ;)

Thanks a lot! 8)

@Moderator: Can you please sticky this thread? Lots of people looking for the correct +2 timing procedure!!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
suxxer said:
@Moderator: Can you please sticky this thread? Lots of people looking for the correct +2 timing procedure!!
Not many have a $10,000.00 Consult 2/3 to utilize the correct timing procedure, however- :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I thhink the issue these 2 individuals raise are dealers who do not know what you are talking about when you ask for +2 timing,not that they may own one...although Consult2's will be showing up soon since Consult 3's are the norm at dealerships

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
double click

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jep - it's not about having the consult2/3! But these tec guys sitting on their consults often don't know a f*** on how to use this wonderful tool.

I was recently talking to one of those guys in a major garage nearby. He said: "I never adjusted timing on any car before...and I'm not sure if it can be done with consult....".
Sick bast*rd isn't he?... doing service on hundreds of nissans/infinitis and still has no clue on how to use his own consult...this is somewhat SCARY!!!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
suxxer said:
Jep - it's not about having the consult2/3! But these tec guys sitting on their consults often don't know a f*** on how to use this wonderful tool.

I was recently talking to one of those guys in a major garage nearby. He said: "I never adjusted timing on any car before...and I'm not sure if it can be done with consult....".
Sick bast*rd isn't he?... doing service on hundreds of nissans/infinitis and still has no clue on how to use his own consult...this is somewhat SCARY!!!
That's a pretty sad commentary, all right-

1 - 20 of 26 Posts