Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by at Discount Tire today and they said I've got only 40% tread left at the center part and 60% outside. Their air pressure was at 33 cold.

So, after putting on only 20k miles, I decided to give my FX an early Christmas gift, new shoes.

They said Toyo Proxes S/Ts are $280 per tire including mounting and balancing. They also can get Yokohama AVS S/T for about $260 per tire. BFG looked nice but I want all-season though.

I know youguys have been talking about this and would like to hear from some of you who have any of these on. Do you like them? Should I go back to Good year RS-A?

Any input will be appreciated. I will order them this afternoon.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just bought 4 Toyo Proxes S/T and they will arrive tomorrow. I heard nothing but good things about this tire and hope it will last much longer than the RS-A. FYI, I bought them at $190/tire.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Those prices seem kind of high, even for including mount and lifetime rotation/balance. That works out to $45/tire for those services over Tire-rack's price on the Yokohamas.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
e39ng said:
I just bought 4 Toyo Proxes S/T and they will arrive tomorrow. I heard nothing but good things about this tire and hope it will last much longer than the RS-A. FYI, I bought them at $190/tire.
$190! :shock: Can I ask you where you're getting yours from?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MustGoFastR said:
Those prices seem kind of high, even for including mount and lifetime rotation/balance. That works out to $45/tire for those services over Tire-rack's price on the Yokohamas.
Yeah, I just talked to them and they said it's because they're mounting 20" tires and that price includes warranty.

I talked to another tire shop and they can get them in about a hour and are asking $314(!!).

Was there any known problem caused by tire shop with air pressure sensor?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
That's BS, mounting them on 20s should cost no more. Pressure sensors are not a problem, just make sure you are there to tell them how to do it. The have to break the bead away from the valve stem and pretty much avoid that area. I believe there is a specific procedure listed in the tech manual (perhaps someone can post it?), but it's nothing that requires anything ou t of the ordinary; just care.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MustGoFastR said:
That's BS, mounting them on 20s should cost no more. Pressure sensors are not a problem, just make sure you are there to tell them how to do it. The have to break the bead away from the valve stem and pretty much avoid that area. I believe there is a specific procedure listed in the tech manual (perhaps someone can post it?), but it's nothing that requires anything ou t of the ordinary; just care.
Thanks. Must. They said the price includes lifetime warranty, which cost about $20-30 per tire.

I will do search on pressure sensor and that tech manual.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
You can also skip the insurance and have them deduct that from the cost.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I wanted is that FX tire's ara kind of sport oriented low profile. My front left one already has slow leaking done by a heavy duty staple.

I haven't see Toyo on FX yet. Has anybody have a pic of Toyo on FX?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
They're all over the board, here's 1 >>

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys.

Ok, I love the look and am ordering them tomorrow morning. :D

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Might want to search around a bit here for impressions. I haven't seen too many favorable ones for the Yokohamas (including my own).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought some tires/wheels from TireRack before but then I had to look for installer. I used to do this by myself but nowadays I rather want someone to do it. So, I decided to go through national tire chain with physical installation facility- Discount Tire.

And TireRack doesn't carry Toyo Proxes S/T. Even though Discount Tire's web site doesn't say about Toyo, my local store said it could get them along with Hankook Ventus, Yokohama.

What I'm getting is a set of Toyo Proxes S/T 265/50/20. Talked to Discount Tire guy about installing other sizes- 285/50/20, but he said he wouldn't recommand it for AWD vehicle even though they did install Goodyear Eagle GTII on local FX before.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Oh, heh, heh, I actually meant the Toyos above. More road noise, seemingly less grip and easier to spin tires than GY. Better tradwear rating, though.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw more than several reviews regarding Toyo Proxes S/T and some were favorable and some weren't. I just couldn't find the M & S tire better than Toyo and almost wanted to buy Goodyear OEM again. But well, trying something new isn't bad.

I know that Toyo is strictly made for SUVs vs OEM and I thought I may need that since I will be moving to pot hole happy NYC.

I just placed an order of a set of Toyos and they will be here next Mon-Tue. I paid $270 per tire and also bought a free replacement warranty. Discount Tire offers free Prorate Warranty but for the above reason, I decided to pay extra $40 per tire for the warranty. Just for the peace of mind. :)

By the way, did you guys know that Dunlop makes 265/50/20 snow tire? I just found that out.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
topguy said:
By the way, did you guys know that Dunlop makes 265/50/20 snow tire?
Really? I would assume then they would make a non-snow tire in our size... I've had Dunlop tires before on a different car and was very happy with them.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ShadyJC said:
topguy said:
By the way, did you guys know that Dunlop makes 265/50/20 snow tire?
Really? I would assume then they would make a non-snow tire in our size... I've had Dunlop tires before on a different car and was very happy with them.
Sales guy and I were checking out available 265/50/20 tires through Discount Tire intranet, this Dunlop snow tire popped up. Didn't think Dunlop made any size for FX though. I just checked Dunlop's web site and it wasn't there. :?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
They're the Grandtrek SJ5s (I think). I got a set from Canada.... I think they're only avail in Europe & Canada.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts