Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using the Thule Snowcat ski racks on their factory rails:

http://www.rackwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/search?catalog=rack-warehouse&q=snowcat+5401

If so, how do you like them? Have they created any unforeseen issues such as marring or damage to the rails, etc. I'm about to pull the trigger on these due to the price: $157.50 delivered!!!

For a simple ski rack, this seems much cheaper/better than the factory crossbars and Yakima mounts!! I don't have any other use for the roof rails so I don't want to fork out the money for the crossbars...

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I have the Thule Crossroad rack system, and it works extremely well! I use the setup transporting, skis, bikes, and kayaks with no problem at all. I love the way this setup made FX looks mean!! The systwm is so sturdy that it survived the accident when my wife rolled the car twice and totalled the car. You have to think about your needs before deciding on a system. If you really only need something to transport skis, get the one you have in mind by all means. It is just my experience that buying the best once is always cheaper than buying mediocre products twice. The setup I have is way more versatile that the benefit is already exceeded the initial cost. I don't remember how many times that I hauled oversized items back from from Home Depot. One last bonus, use the Crossroad system means that I can use the Thule's silver Flat Top 4 ski carrier that better matched our silver roof rails.

Cheers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info!!

How difficult is it to install and remove the Crossroad rack from your rails? Can they be removed easily/quickly...

Has the Crossroad rack caused any damage or scratched the factory roof rails in any way?

My biggest concern is damage to the factory rails i.e. marring, scratching, or god forbid crushing of the rails due to fastening of the Thule racks to the rails (I'm guessing that this should not be a problem, the rails are most likely hollow but pretty strong!). Just want to try and avoid unnecessary damage...

Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
The installation is easy. The four base units are fasten to factory rails by strong rubber straps. The tool needed(hex key) is build right in. I routingly take the system down to watch my FX. I use a screw driver with hex key attachment to remove the rack even quicker. Never saw a scatch, and belive me, I am extremely anal about stuff like that. The only time that the rack caused a scratch was when I tried to back out of my garage with the door half way closed. I did haul some heavy stuff with it, so I do try to tighten the base as hard as I can with no problem. If I can put two mountain bikes on it and zip through NYC traffic, the setup got to be strong! Just make sure that you fasten the base to the part of the factory rail that is actually bolted down to the roof, not the long rail in between.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the thule ski rack and the aluminum trim looks great with the aluminum rails.

Very easy to install. Just be careful when you put your skiis on the you don't scratch the roof as there is just enough clearance between the binding and the roof of the vehicle.

Oh, BTW the rack itself works great after you pay for the mounts for our factory roofrack and extra for the locks for the ski rack.

G

·
I have the same Thule system as Jr. It is really easy to install/remove. The crossbars secure to the rails with rubber... so no damage. The best part is that in winter, I can fit both a ski rack and bike rail on at the same time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all of you for the info!

It sounds like all three of you are using Thule racks that attach to crossbars right? And these are the same crossbars that you must purchase from Infiniti for $299.00 USD or so (I think Grubbs has the best price on them). Then your Thule racks attach to the crossbars, right?

I decided to go with the Thule Snowcats since they do not require the crossbars and attach directly to the factory roof rails.

I was concerned about damaging the roof rails but based on what you guys have indicated and talking to a Thule CSR via email, there shouldn't be any problem!

Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
The rack system I use is Thule's Crossroad. It use Thule's crossbar not the one from Infiniti. It is stronger and far more versatile in my opinion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yang,

Thanks again for your help; if later on down the road I find that I need something more than the Snowcat ski racks, I will look into the Crossroads system!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.