Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i just about bought something like this on the weekend for my FX.

i have a suzuki DRZ400s and i am going to get a hitch type tote like that. i found one for about 300 bucks at the local moto-dealer, but when we tested it on the hitch, the tounge was just a hair smaller than the receiver (even though both were supposedly 2") and it would "twist" wildly even with no bike on it!

i told them to hold it while i thought about it.

i think its just the design of the OEM hitch as my mountain bike rack does the same thing, but only holds a 30lb bike instead of a 300 lb bike.

i still want to do this but i need to find a good way to "shim" up the tongue so it wont rock and twist as much...

....BTW... read the reviews on this and it looks like it has an ANTI-sway pin so that you wont get much of the problem that i was talking about.....this is also MUCH lighter than the one i was looking at so all in all it looks like a nice deal.......****, i might order one up for me too :)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
my only question for anyone here with a tow hitch is : what is the max tongue weight you can load on the OEM hitch?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
well, im not going to be driving like i normally do with the bike on there :lol:

my main concerns are:

(1) 40lb rack + 290lb bike = 330lbs dead weight and this will present more of a live load and moment on the hitch receiver as you bounce over bumps....whats the tongue weight of the OEM receiver rated at? im not sure :oops:

(2) torsion city! :x with a bike on there, any swinging around on bumpy roads will create a twisting on the hitch.

this is the perfect solution for those of us with little room to store a small trailer.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
particlefx said:
The OEM hitch is rated to a maximum 350 lbs tongue weight.
yeah...i just looked this up in the manual too. 330 vs 350. thats a little bit close....and thats dry weight too with no gas :roll: i wonder what kind of safety factor they built into this thing :lol:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have two CR125's and a couple of quads. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the hitch rack you're considering attached to the FX. I have a good friend who used a similar rack on his Suburban and had to do some modifying including corner bumper attachements to make is stable.

May I suggest this option? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=34284
It wouldn't take up much storage and would provide much more stability. bradical, You have too nice a bike to take a chance. And, a new FX (don't screw it up). 8)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
yeah, im not feeling too comfortable with this now either. a mini trailer is what i need. i just need to figure out where i can store it as i only have a one car garage and it already houses 1 fx, 3 mountain bikes, a motorcycle, and assorted tool shelves .

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
thats perfect, but i was looking to spend a little less than 1400 bucks :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
509 Posts
The eBay link I provided was under $300. I can't speak for the quality but it looked light weight and you could actually stand a trailer like that up on it's rear end against a wall for storage, or along side the house.

I have a big flat bed 6.5' X 12' that fits all my toys, but I might consider something small for the two CR's behind the FX. Only challenge might be trying to back up a mini trailer without looking like a soccer mom backing the family boat down the ramp . :lol: :lol: (while her husband yells at her from the boat) :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd be concerned about anything that has to rest level on the hitch, my OEM hitch isn't even straight, and dealer won't fix it. Its indicative that they are not terribly well designed or installed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts