that;s the X3 i believe wit or is it the X5... :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mushutofu said:
that;s the X3 i believe wit or is it the X5... :roll:
Maybe, but AutoWeek thinks it's a new X5:

"Longer, wider and taller than today’s model, and with an extended rear overhang, the new X5 puts greater distance between itself and the X3, which should allow BMW to command higher prices. Inside, the X5 promises a 5 Series-like interior. Five-passenger-seating is standard, but BMW will likely offer buyers two third-row seats as optional equipment."

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
BMW has effectively bastardized their entire line with the designs of that no talent chris whats-his-nuts ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dang, they have got to execute that joke-of-a-designer Bangle before he runs the company into the ground (or maybe it's too late now :roll: ). Oh well, I guess I'll be hanging on to my E53 X5 for as long as it lasts. :(

·
Registered
549 Posts
Aleko said:
Dang, they have got to execute that joke-of-a-designer Bangle before he runs the company into the ground (or maybe it's too late now :roll: ). Oh well, I guess I'll be hanging on to my E53 X5 for as long as it lasts. :(
Well, he's now the Chief Design Director (formal title: Director of BMW Group Design) which I believe, effectively means that he has final say on future BMW designs even though he doesn't directly design vehicles now. Remember the "Bangle petition" when the 7-Series came out? I signed it over a year ago. I wonder where it is now on the count. With the Z4, 5-series, x-3, 6-series, 3-series , now X-5, I truly believe that BMW is heading in the wrong design direction from where they were coming from on the previous generations, controversial styling or not. I'm not warming-up to BMW's style, appeal and as always, quality amidst the great vehicles being made today and in the near future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As controversial as he is, he also was heavily involved in the design of the previous 5 series as well as the current X5 and 3 series. He's been with BMW a while and has some very "interesting" views on auto design. He at one point (and I'm paraphrasing) stated that BMW had pretty much attained near-perfect design and that their current styling themes had pretty much evolved as far as they could. He felt it was time to go in a drastically different direction, not just in terms of styling, but interior control layout and functionality (I-Drive) that BMW could build upon and perfect from one generation to the next. I personally think we'll see more Bangle design influence in other brands (MB upcoming S-Class spy shots for example look very Bangle-esque). His designs have a way of growing on you, but they never look "right" or very appealing the first time you see them IMO.

I personally like the new 5 & 7 series designs, but do not in any way care for the Z4, X3 or 6 Series.

·
Registered
51 Posts
jwaters943 said:
As controversial as he is, he also was heavily involved in the design of the previous 5 series as well as the current X5 and 3 series.
You're correct, he's been with BMW for a while, and yes, he was involved in design of those older models (E39, E46, E53, etc.), however, he was just a designer back then, so I bet most (if not all) of his ideas never made it through higher-ups to see the light of a day. Now that he's in charge, only his ideas are used, and the disastrous release (both visually and functionally) of the current 7 Series and I-Drive was the first ******* child of his leadership, with others to follow (Z4, X3, 5 Series, 6 Series). I couldn't stand his designs back then, and I can't stand them now, so they don't seem to grow on me. I signed that "Stop Bangle" petition as well, but I didn't believe it was going to make any difference. I've been a huge BMW fan for years, and I know many people who have been driving BMWs exclusively for decades, and now they all are either sticking to their current pre-Bangle models, or jumping the ship in favor of other makers. Bangle may have attracted new customers with his "designs", but he sure as heck has lost (and keeps loosing) as many, if not more, of present customers.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jwaters943 said:
He at one point (and I'm paraphrasing) stated that BMW had pretty much attained near-perfect design and that their current styling themes had pretty much evolved as far as they could.
I think they call that "writer's block". ::roll: What a waste.

I have a 2000 3-series and the design is certainly timeless IMO, but it certainly did not reach the end of it's evolution by a long shot!

·
Registered
549 Posts
particlefx said:
jwaters943 said:
He at one point (and I'm paraphrasing) stated that BMW had pretty much attained near-perfect design and that their current styling themes had pretty much evolved as far as they could.
I think they call that "writer's block". ::roll: What a waste.

I have a 2000 3-series and the design is certainly timeless IMO, but it certainly did not reach the end of it's evolution by a long shot!
LOL, I recall his comment on "perfect design evolution." So, this means that he wants to break it down and start all over again in a completely different direction as BMW designs had come to an end? A truly self-serving statement given his influence on future BMW design.

Didn't a few scientists/ inventors in the early 1900s vehemently state that technology and inventions were nearing an end because we, as a society, had created everything that a human being could possibly need? Sounds like the same lines coming from Bangle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I completely agree. I've been a huge BMW fan all my life, and currently own a '99 328i, but am switching to the FX35 because I don't like the looks of the new generation of BMWs. The X3 would have been a natural fit for me, but it's downright ugly! I can't believe what they've done to the 7 series, the Z4 and the X3. Only the 5 is still palatable.

Oh well, I guess BMW's loss is Infiniti's gain.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RU_MATRX said:
Didn't a few scientists/ inventors in the early 1900s vehemently state that technology and inventions were nearing an end because we, as a society, had created everything that a human being could possibly need? Sounds like the same lines coming from Bangle.
Yes, that sounds familiar. I knew someone who was feeling very depressed while studying at a university because he felt everything had already been invented.

·
Registered
549 Posts
ahsanrahim said:
I completely agree. I've been a huge BMW fan all my life, and currently own a '99 328i, but am switching to the FX35 because I don't like the looks of the new generation of BMWs. The X3 would have been a natural fit for me, but it's downright ugly! I can't believe what they've done to the 7 series, the Z4 and the X3. Only the 5 is still palatable.

Oh well, I guess BMW's loss is Infiniti's gain.
What's worse is that on I think "autospies" and "bimmer.org," BMW enthusiasts were arguing about the latest pics of the upcoming 3-series. Most commented that the rear lights looked cheap, disproportionate, and copied a KIA ( I agree). Then, you always get the few BMW-loyalists who feel that BMW can do no wrong as long as a vehicle is flying the blue/white propeller badge. A few stated that they "absolutely loved" the re-designed lights and that it was a "perfect" update. Whoa, now is that what they mean by blind-loyalty? Check-out the discussion thread here following pics....

http://www.autospies.com/article/index. ... cleId=3621

·
Registered
392 Posts
Other than...

Other than the 7 series, I happen to like all the BMW models, specially the 6 Series. I could really do without the i-Drive and the automatic steering ratio adjustment thing! But other than that, I think BMW is doing a good job, I guess I will just have to wait until the next 3 Series comes out, that is definitely my favorite car!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts