Infiniti FX Forum banner

tesla style Nav system for FX35 2004?

87K views 125 replies 46 participants last post by  kahlilj 
I’ve been researching this a lot lately. So far no, nothing is released and I haven’t heard anything from any companies that make these kits about plans to release them. There are a few complications with them developing one for the first gens. The major complication is they would need t make two different configurations because of the face lift done to the dash for the later years of the first gen. The other concern is that there may not be a big enough demand. These vehicles are getting pretty old and even though they are in desperate need of an upgrade, there are far fewer on the road.

The past several days I have been studying the factory service manual and researching about how to make my own. It seems entirely possible to do it but takes a lot of effort. The HVAC controller is a CAN bus driven unit so in theory if you send the right commands over the CAN bus to emulate the output from the factory display (which is driven by the buttons on the dash) it should be possible to apply this type of retrofit just like is done for the 2nd gen kit.

Right now I’m thinking an android head unit with a CAN output might be the best place to start but I need to do more research.

Attachments

Yes there is a model that works with 05 and earlier FX's. Here is the link: Tesla Style Android Head Unit View attachment 19927
I ended up purchasing this unit from Aliexpress from that same KiriNavi seller. I went with the 8 core, 4gb RAM, 64gb storage and CarPlay and I am pretty happy with it. It’s not quite perfect as the CarPlay doesn’t always connect right away and it doesn’t seem to be able to read the tpms like the original screen did but the AC controls are great, steering wheel controls integrate well, the touch screen is very responsive. I added a backup camera as my 2005 didn’t have one, (orange screen model), and I was very surprised to find that this unit reads steering angle from the CAN bus lines to give an indication of where you might end up while reversing. Sure that’s not necessary, but it’s neat to see this feature. The Bluetooth works pretty well. Normal android functions work as you would expect. If anyone has any questions about this feel free to ask. I’m very impressed with it and would recommend it. It’s like having a new car.

what did you pay for yours? did you install yourself?
I think it was somewhere around $600 but I can’t remember. Price fluctuates. Yes I installed myself. Most of it is plug and play. If you only have the basic orange display you will have to wire the can bus wires and the connector won’t fit. But if you have a lcd screen, it just plugs in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.