Infiniti FX Forum banner

tesla style Nav system for FX35 2004?

87K views 125 replies 46 participants last post by  kahlilj 
#1 ·
Hi,
I saw there is tesla style android nav system for 2009-2013 FX for sale on Ebay. the outlook is amazing. not sure anyone has similar upgrade for 2004 FX35?

#2 · (Edited)
I’ve been researching this a lot lately. So far no, nothing is released and I haven’t heard anything from any companies that make these kits about plans to release them. There are a few complications with them developing one for the first gens. The major complication is they would need t make two different configurations because of the face lift done to the dash for the later years of the first gen. The other concern is that there may not be a big enough demand. These vehicles are getting pretty old and even though they are in desperate need of an upgrade, there are far fewer on the road.

The past several days I have been studying the factory service manual and researching about how to make my own. It seems entirely possible to do it but takes a lot of effort. The HVAC controller is a CAN bus driven unit so in theory if you send the right commands over the CAN bus to emulate the output from the factory display (which is driven by the buttons on the dash) it should be possible to apply this type of retrofit just like is done for the 2nd gen kit.

Right now I’m thinking an android head unit with a CAN output might be the best place to start but I need to do more research.

Attachments

#15 ·
I had the same question myself but the site selling these from Do de Visser's post indicates that it won't work on the old set up. Only the 06 and up FX.

#17 ·
#18 ·
I thought the same given the description but if you scroll down about a third you'll find a picture of an 06 display with a nice green check mark and a picture of an 03-05 with a nasty red X.

#21 ·
Hello from Barcelona!

I have just installed the Tesla Style on my 2008 FX35, and it looks great.

I have lost some features from the original system, such as options configuration menu, TPMS indication... that only appears on original system (this is an android tablet with A/C control).

I'm using original reverse camera, using an adaptor cable sent by seller (Aliexpress from China)

If anyone knows how to access to internal car menu through this android system (maybe using bluetooth OBD2 adaptor and a soft) it would be great. Same for TMPS values (now I only have low pressure indication on dashboard :()

#24 ·
Hello!

I had the same problem during the installation. I contacted to the brand sales manager, and she asked to the design engineers. The engineer sent me a video installation guide, where I discovered that we have to disconnect a device hidden under the passenger front airbag (you have to disassemble all your glove compartment).

After that, A/C works fine.

I can sent you the video by wetransfer if you need. I only need an email address to send you the link.

#35 ·
I ordered the 13,6 inch Android 9.0 screen (ZhiFang ZWNAV ZF-1828X) for my 2010 Infiniti FX37.
I hope that the tire pressure TPMS, AC and car settings menu will be functional...
After I have installed the screen, I will post my findings here.
This is the link to the installation video:

#65 ·
I got mine from Kiri Navi on AliExpress. It says android 10.0 so seems newer than some of the others.
I went with Kiri Navi because others on another forum had an ok experience with them. I still haven’t figured out how to wire the backup camera, and my 4g LTE hasn’t been working all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#66 ·
I got mine from Kiri Navi on AliExpress. It says android 10.0 so seems newer than some of the others.
I went with Kiri Navi because others on another forum had an ok experience with them. I still haven’t figured out how to wire the backup camera, and my 4g LTE hasn’t been working all the time.

Thanks for replying Dean. Did you get the option with Carplay or DVR & camera? Also did you install any additional apps to pull OBD info like that in the factory unit (like trip info, MPG, mileage range,...)?

#71 ·
Also I’ll take some pictures later when I have time

So I took the plunge and bought a unit. i got this one from Aliexpress

The installation has not been easy. There were no instructions and some of the connectors didn't match up to the original wiring. It was easy removing the old HU and installing this one. But my attempts to get support were not good initially. so the first time I installed it, the knobs an buttons didn't work. So neither did my HVAC. A few days later after watching a few youtube videos and writeups here and on another site, I realized one connector was not plugged in the right port. I fixed that and now the buttons and knobs work, but still no HVAC. I'm pretty confident that I have to make that disconnection behind the glovebox as I've seen mentioned a few other times.

One youtube video that was pretty useful was this one:

Finally today I heard back from the suppliers tech support. Even though it was not Kirinav on Aliexpress I bought my unit from, clearly it's the same company. After a third email (the first was in all Chinese, the 2nd was part English, but without enough detail for me), they finally sent installation instructions in English which I'll upload on here. THe email domain from the support people were all Kirinav. Soooo...

Anyway I'm not in an enclosed space and protected from the cold right now So I won't be able to get to this until later, but I think I have enough info to make everything run right. Oh one other thing is I don't see where the factory connections are for the rear camera. I have a factory one, but I don't know where the factory connectors are and therefore which one from the Tesla radio connect to it. Any ideas?

These are the connectors with no home (blue encircled are factory, red is Tesla):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.