Infiniti FX Forum banner

Technosquare FX45 ECU Upgrade Project (Phase I)

81K views 327 replies 60 participants last post by  ksack 
#1 ·
Hey All:

I decided to start a new thread so that we have a clear focus on the subject of the FX45 ECU upgrade. I spoke to Brian @ Technosquare further this afternoon, and we've figured out a good plan since they really don't have the room to keep my FX45 right now. I will work on extracting my ECU by tomorrow, and Brian will personally come up to my home to retrieve it afterhours. This way we don't need to work with the UPS back and forth. He can then work with Japan on extracting the ECU map files before optimizing it. Also, he has confirmed that it would be easy for Technosquare to conduct further tweaks on an upgraded ECU for custom exhaust modifications as well as CAIs.

Thinking of the forum, I inquired about a group buy for the infiniti.org members. Brian will speak with Tadashi on this as they haven't worked out group buys for the G35/350Z guys. Apparently, the $595 ECU for G35s/350Z owners are in very high demand and sell well. For us FX45 owners, they believe they can work something out though due to much less demand. I'll post further updates as soon as Brian has my ECU in his hands.

#2 ·
Thank you again for all your good work.We can continue to kick a-s with an ever bigger smile!

A point I forgot to bring up earlier,on some of these re-flash,the ECU loses its capacity to learn and stays within the set parameters .This may be great and learning with a good program may not be necessary,but I thought I should ask.

#3 ·
Good call, brnjugfx45! And many thanks again to big Dave for doing the pilot for us! Brian was always the one with the best "can do" attitude... I'm glad he helped make it happen.

I was thinking of adding to our list of nice to program if possible features on the way home... I wonder if they can reprogram the fog lights to work with just the parking lights on? Totally cosmetic, but just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask! Here's the more important list... any adds?
*Fuel/Air ratio I'm sure they're doing- this is pretty standard *Advance Timing- ditto
*Valve Timing- there has been a ton of discussion on the boards about this, my local service guy believes this is a big part of the equation... let's definitely see if they can optimize this...
*Rev Limit- I like the 7500 idea!
*Speed Limiter Removal- as we get more power, this will actually start to become an issue (especially for those of us who are lowered)
*Trans Shift Firmness- wouldn't this be a nice combo with the Level 10 valve body??!!??
*Else?

We're rollin' now, fellas!

#4 ·
fxfan:

I will print out your post and hand it to Brian this evening. Please feel free to contact Brian @Technosquare concerning your interests and any follow-ups. Brian and I are meeting up this evening (looks like Old-Towne Pasadena) to meet and hand-off my ECU/ECM which I've already extracted. For those that haven't seen it, I'm posting 2 pics. It was a bit confusing locating the correct ECU as there are actually (3) modules behind the glovebox and kick-panel. Two of them are silver (the larger one is the Transmission ECU), other who knows. Maybe Technosquare can work with the Transmission ECU too? I'll ask. :)

The ECU/ECM is a large black box with two large connectors (about 3" in length). I thought that it was interesting to see that Japanese ECUs/ECMs are usually matte black (as Brian ID'd it) while European cars are silver metallic.

Attachments

#5 ·
Well. my FX45 ECU /ECM is in the hands of Technosquare right now and will be sent off to Japan tomorrow. These guys appear to come from engineering and technical backgrounds/experience (one guy was a Toyota/TRD design engineer, etc.). My first impression is that they know their stuff and Brian is a really nice, patient enthusiast car/bike guy.

Brian stated that the late-model 350Z has a 6600 RPM redline and they bump that to 7100RPM. Above that, there are concerns on engine reliability. Even though out FX45 is a V-8 and has heavy duty springs and Titanium valves, Brian believes that 7300 RPM is rather high. He will consult one of their senior tech guys that builds engines. They will review bore and stroke along with VQ45 engine specs in order to ensure the best bump in redline. Any bumps won't be arbitrary which is what I like to hear.

In regards to exhausts, they have (2) guys with direct experience building custom exhausts using Mandrell bent tubing (pre-fabricated and sourced) . He will inquire with them on my FX45 and will most likely look at what they can do with a true dual and such. It may be expensive or moderate, but once my FX45 is in their shop they can discern much more.

With respect to the Transmission ECU (separate, large silver module), when my FX is in their shop, they will pull it out and look at modfying the shift logic (quicker shifts) if possible. There are limiting factors in regards to the solenoids, etc. which I'm not familiar with. Brian is familiar with Level 10 and says that Level 10 has great experience in tearing a transmission apart and upgrading everything. They do great work and have a good reputation.

All in all, lots of potential in various areas of the FX45. We even discussed a bit about a modified CAI. It sounds like Technosquare has the resources to see some fruitful ventures become reality. We'll see. First step, ECU upgrade for our FX45s. 2 weeks to Japan and back, they optimize the ECU, then I'll see how my FX45 responds on an AWD-specific dyno and seat-of-the-pants.

I'm excited as to the potential and possibilities. :D

#6 ·
We are all excited and the keystone piece of this car is finally coming together.
Talked to my Tech this morning,because I was unaware of the 3 modules(engine control mod,trans control mod,body control mod).
He explained the interactive relationship between the TCM and ECM.

He also mentioned the link between the ECM and ignition keys and that they must sync(especially smart keys).My assumption is these guys have been down this road and will address it.

They sound like one stop shopping which is nice,parts will work together!!

It is finally fun to wait! :D

#7 ·
Hey All:

In regards to a group buy, here's the response I received this morning. I'm glad that Brian is on top of things!

"Good morning David! I just wanted to tell you that we have just packed up all the ECU's and will be shipping it out shortly. Insured and the whole deal so don't you fret. Everything will be taken care of. I was wondering something though. How many FX45 owners are willing to buy the initial chip? I need to know as Tadashi is kinda uncertain about doing a group buy. Thanks!"

Brian Wong
22521 S. Normandie Ave
Torrance, CA 90501
Email: brian@technosquareinc.com

So, I know we need a baseline price first for our FX45 ECU though Brian mentioned that $595 is what they are charging the 350Z/G35 owners. That's probably a good reference point. How many of you FX45 owners are interested in a group buy? Please voice your commitment so that they can better assess a Group Buy Price for us. We can make this happen with enough interest. I will post on
FA later as well and direct those to the link here.

Thanks!

#8 ·
brnjugfx45 said:
Talked to my Tech this morning,because I was unaware of the 3 modules(engine control mod,trans control mod,body control mod).
He explained the interactive relationship between the TCM and ECM.
For those interested, I did remove the TCM and have good pics of not only the TCM but also the Body Control Module (small silver module). Initially, I took pics to positively identify what I was working with when speaking/e-mailing to Technosquare as well as a Service Tech @ Miller Infiniti. We want to be accurate and know what we're looking at afterall.

I assume that the Body Control Module handles EBC, traction and stability management. The Body Control Module is the smallest silver module mounted on the passenger door side frame (3rd pic below-still mounted). The Transmission Control Module (TCM) is mounted on the front firewall facing the engine bay and is shown in the first two pics here. Above all, the Main ECU/ECM (Blackbox and largest module of all three) is mounted vertically right in front of the TCM via (2) 10mm studs/nuts. To access the ECU/ECM, one just needs to remove the side door sill trim (pops out), the front plastic cover (one 10mm nut), the kickpanel, and the glove box unit.

Attachments

#9 ·
No surprise,I am on board!!!CAI next week and exhaust done!

#11 ·
Count me in...

#19 ·
Hey All:

We'll get more specifics once we have dyno results and precise information on what facets of the ECU have been improved/optimized.
Per the message from Brian @ Technosquare, I'm trying to push a bit to get a group buy and so we need a relative group count to leverage
a better price.

Keep checking in on this thread as in about 2 weeks, we'll have more information and hopefully, figures. Obviously, our group buy is based on a solid, high-quality ECU product with good numbers and results. I'd like to see fuller hp & tq curves and a nice 350HP (+35HP) MAX bumb and ~360 ft-lbs TQ. That would be nice.

#20 ·
49 state buyers may want 93 octane maps, but us in CA definitely need 91(non patented gas). A 50 state ECU mod will probably lose ~5 hp, but RU_MATRX's test mule should show the minium the FX45 can increase.

Thanks for offering up your car. I just bought my friend's 45 Tech and was surprised to see so few performance parts for it. Buying an STB this week and Tires in spring

#21 ·
Viperboy:

You're right. We will have the max 91 Octane ECU programming though there should be an easy optimization adjustment for the guys/gals that have easy access to 93 Octane. This facet of the optimization is standard on most any ECU reflash.

On European performance cars, Powerchip, Evosport, Renntech, Brabus all have ECU programming specific for 91/93 and 100+ racing gas tweaks. Some even offer switch-dialing options for street/track/drag. For CA., we can get 93 RON by mixing proper parts of Toluene (Sherman-Williams) with 91 or BEST just go to a 76 gas station and buy racing gas (100 Octane) @ ~$4.70 gallon and mixing portions of that into the 91 mix. There are readily available charts on how to obtain the Octane you want from mixing Toluene to Jet fuel to higher octane race gasoline. Retail race gasoline is clearly the best route to go, and I've experienced a signficant difference on non-NA vehicles like Twin-turbos/SCs by mixing up to 94/95 Octane vs 91. On 1000cc, 4cylinder, slightly- modified sportbikes, 100 Octane straight is spectacular on the racetrack.

#22 ·
I won't commit until we know exactly what they change.

For me, I'd like to see if they can control the variable cam timing.

Also, when they perform the dyno runs, please try and get ALL the runs, not just the before vs final product.

I'm interested in seeing just how many WOT sub maps the ecu has. My Evo has this and it's interesting to see how each subsequent run yeilds a richer fuel mixture as the engine gets hotter and hotter.

I have to assume the VQ ecu has the same type of failsafes.

#24 ·
For me, I'd like to see if they can control the variable cam timing.
How can an ecu control the cam timing?

#25 ·
mushutofu said:
How can an ecu control the cam timing?
**** if I know how it works, but the VK45DE has variable cam timing. If you look at the front of the engine at the camshaft housings, there's (warning: technical term) doohickeys on the front that I guess implement the variation.

#26 ·
The 35 had variable cam timing on the intake(I believe) and the new 35 now has a diff cam and variable on the exhaust side as well as the intake.The 45 just got this first.
This tech has been around for awhile on other cars.You are not changing lift or duration but lobe separation which changes cylinder filling(more torque on more separation and more top end on more overlap).And this is movement in one phase,advance and retard the intake and exhaust cams bring other gains...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.