Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on previous posts, Level10 transmission modification eliminates shift lag when changing gears by adding a "jumper-wire" inside the transmission black box.

Technosquare ECU Upgrade on the other hand, targets the same problem with the lag but through the ECU software modification (no changes to the transmission software/hardware).

These two modifications clearly seem to be something different and yet they accomplish the exact same thing. Am I missing something here? Are they truly addressing the same problem?
This might be a dumb question however I have been driving manual transmission all my life and have no working knowledge of AT. Can someone please explain? Which one is better?

Thanks
Kris

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I have re ead most of what Dave has written and I cannot find anyreference that the delay is resolved.Performance under manual improvedyes,but not the delay

Level 10 solves this problem with a straight wire replacing the blk box and now with the valve body.Straight wire is perfect,valve body is not quite.I have asked the owner to bring the valve body approach to 100%.

Now,If I have missed something that Dave said...plase direct me

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a quote:

The most impressive aspect of the ECU reflash is the fact that I want to drive in manu-matic mode now as it is 10x better in my opinion and significantly revvier and more fun to play with. Before this preliminary reflash, I personally found no great, distinct advantage, no more fun nor real gain in full out accelerations/control whether I was in Manual or Auto mode. The rev limiter was an issue as once it bumped the 6700? RPM limit, the revs would drop off quickly and leave you in a bottomless hole. It would seem like the engine/transmission connection was knocked out for a few secs. Likewise, downshifting 2 gears to accelerate onto the expressway was really lame and disappointing just to maintain RPMs above 3500. The ECU really improves this specific area of the engine/transmission response (shift points without going into the transmission ECU).
Maybe I am reading too much into this..........

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
brnjug,

my question is this (and maybe i missed the answer before) : why have a black box in the first place? why delay a shift?!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
When we first saw it at the shop(first visit,and I took it for the delay shift problem).They commented that they sure do not want you to race this.I believe it is that simple,particularly given the ease of fixing it

If you cannot shift with precision,most will leave it in AUTO and not get real aggressive
Believe me I am glad that the re flash picks up the manual side so well.I believe spirited driving is done there,it does not say the delay is shortened or eliminated. It does not discribe the rev limiter other than it is better,this is the most horrific I have experiencedThe delay happens in the trans before it goes to the TCU through to the ECU.Cannot fix this at the end of the altered signal
While I drive the P.. out of the loaners,I really have not paid much attention toward G's at redline

As I re read Dave's comments,I wonder if manual has diff maps,possible,had not thought of that..but TS knows...no diff before,now there is

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i wasnt sure if there was a delay becuase the computer had the engine pull a couple of cylenders out of the mix for a split second on shifts or something of the like.

for some reason i seem to remember someone talking about this,but or the life of me i cant find a post here about it.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I had mentioned it,Infiniti drops 2or3 cylinders on shift to reduce the torque the trans sees.It is a nano second and invisible.Level 10 picked it up(trans shops have equipment well past what dealersips have...remember they diagnose and replace).Most manufacturers do this sine late 90's or advent of OBDII(so much more sophisticated)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
cool. i might need to look into doing one of these mods down the road. first i need to get an engine that starts when i tell it to :twisted:

·
Registered
549 Posts
krzys4 said:
Based on previous posts, Level10 transmission modification eliminates shift lag when changing gears by adding a "jumper-wire" inside the transmission black box.

Technosquare ECU Upgrade on the other hand, targets the same problem with the lag but through the ECU software modification (no changes to the transmission software/hardware).

These two modifications clearly seem to be something different and yet they accomplish the exact same thing. Am I missing something here? Are they truly addressing the same problem?
This might be a dumb question however I have been driving manual transmission all my life and have no working knowledge of AT. Can someone please explain? Which one is better?

Thanks
Kris
Hey Kris:

YEs, I stand behind my direct experience with the engine/throttle response improvement which truly makes up a lot for the biggest gripe I ever had with the FX45: The non-responsive transmission downshifting/disconnect mismatched to a great V-8 with 32 free-revving Titanium valves. The transimission ECU logic is just highly conservative, much worse than Infiniti's own G35 and nowhere near where any sportscar or sporty vehicle should be. The "delay" in shifting and down-shifting 2 gears to get going has been greatly minimized. I'm sure the Level 10 shift mods would mechanically take this improvement further.

Now, with the ECU upgrade, I mentioned that it's actually fun to drive in manu-matic mode and worth the effort unlike before where I really could care less to be in manu-matic mode since it was pretty disappointing. I feel that it comes down to better throttle response combined with timing and rev limit bumps. Again, you'll have to speak to Brian @ Technosquare for precise changes which has brought the FX45 to how it should have come from the factory.

In regards to the Level 10 mods, I felt that it was an eventual "must have" for my FX45, but now I enjoy my FX45 with ECU reflash much more and am not nearly as motivated to invest further in the mechanical/electronics of the transmission. I'm certain upgrading the transmission would yield even greater performance/fun and I would like to proceed further there eventually. Just remember that all a transmission (gearing and efficiency of power transfer) does is modulate power delivery to the wheels. Matching the transmission spacing/gearing to how an engine produces power/tq is multi-faceted. The ECU, TCU electronics, engine and mechanicals all affect what you the driver experiences in down/up shifting, accelerating and engine braking through the gear shifter. The ECU upgrade significantly improves this connectivity although we haven't delved into the transmission electronics or mechanicals itself. This was a pleasant surprise for me over stock.

I've always tried to be true and honest in my perspective and experience so I hope these insights help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.