Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not funny what happened to me today!

Went to my Nissan dealership to put my 4-seasons tires + re-program the TPMS. I do my winter/4-seasons tires swap twice a year at the same place since 2.5 years, 90$ all done and was always happy to deal with them.

Today they called me 45mins after they got the car in... Told me that the valve caps (that I bought from ebay 2 years ago with this shiny infiniti logo on it) was jammed on the valve, rusted from inside and cannot be removed. They told me that they will try to lubrifiate and blablabla.. so 30mins after, they called me back telling that they were able to take off the caps, but have to replace the gaskets on 3 of the valves/sensors, and the 4th one was completly broken. They wanted me to get a new sensor for 125$ (that i for sure declined).

So, repaired the 3 other valves (20$ for the gaskets/100$ labor), put my summer tires on (90$). the whole thing cost me 210$ with a TPMS still broken (they put a non-TPMS valve instead).

I was expecting to see this TPMS yellow indicator, but never appeared (the TIRE PRESSURE screen displays shows ** for 1 tire and correct value for the others). Thats a good news because as long as I don't have this annoying indicator i'm happy with it even with one TPMS-less wheel.

I'm sure if I took the car somewhere else they would find a way to take off the caps without breaking any sensor... but anyways, too late now.

Anyone already had this bad experience?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
WTF? THEY break it and expect YOU to pay for a new one? That's why I try to stay away from dealerships unless it's an oil change OR warranty work...

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate (and costly day). I'm also sorry to tell you that you caused all of the trouble.

You see, vehicles with TPMS must use special valve stem caps. On TPMS systems, the valve stem is made of aluminum, and you can only use either aluminum caps, aluminum lined caps, or plastic caps on TPMS valve stems. Using steel or chrome caps on wheels with TPMS is a big no-no, because the dissimilar metals (steel and aluminum) will bond themselves together over time, like a weld. Thus, they don't come apart and it ruins the TPMS sensor.

I once tried to have Discount Tire put chrome valve stem caps on my wife's 350Z with TPMS, and they told me that doing so would corrode the TPMS valve stems because of the different metal they are made of. Its too bad no one else told you this before. Now you've learned a costly lesson.

Hopefully everyone else learns a valuable lesson from this.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yeah they shoulda warned you once they saw they werent gonna come off. Then you would have been aware that damage could occur. You have to use the right kind of caps on these. Both of you are at fault here. Make sure you get rid of those cheapos and put some aluminum caps on there (with the gaskets inside).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yeah I know it's kind of my fault, that's why I paid for it even if they broke it. I just didn't think of this corrosion thing when I bought these caps! Now I learned from it and wanted to share it with everyone here so you guys don't make the same stupid mistake 8)

it's kind of sad that Nissan never warned my of this.. maybe the techs that have seen it before just didnt know.. You know how it works here, in march/april when it's time for tires change they all hire extra non-experienced staff!

anyways now I have these flashy green plastic caps :mrgreen:

·
Registered
53 Posts
This happens all the time in my shop. I have my tech's stop what their doing and notify the customer right away (same goes for cross threaded/seized wheel nuts). I make him aware that the cap has basically fused to the valve step and it may break if we proceed. That way the ball's in his court and he can decide what to do (hit the brakes or go ahead and run the risk).

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
yeah, I don't see what the dealer did wrong here, they did tell you when they saw the problem & they did try to do it after notifying you of the problem, not there fault they weren't able to do it, the damage was done before you even pulled into the place really though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not funny what happened to me today!

Went to my Nissan dealership to put my 4-seasons tires + re-program the TPMS. I do my winter/4-seasons tires swap twice a year at the same place since 2.5 years, 90$ all done and was always happy to deal with them.

Today they called me 45mins after they got the car in... Told me that the valve caps (that I bought from ebay 2 years ago with this shiny infiniti logo on it) was jammed on the valve, rusted from inside and cannot be removed. They told me that they will try to lubrifiate and blablabla.. so 30mins after, they called me back telling that they were able to take off the caps, but have to replace the gaskets on 3 of the valves/sensors, and the 4th one was completly broken. They wanted me to get a new sensor for 125$ (that i for sure declined).

So, repaired the 3 other valves (20$ for the gaskets/100$ labor), put my summer tires on (90$). the whole thing cost me 210$ with a TPMS still broken (they put a non-TPMS valve instead).

I was expecting to see this TPMS yellow indicator, but never appeared (the TIRE PRESSURE screen displays shows ** for 1 tire and correct value for the others). Thats a good news because as long as I don't have this annoying indicator i'm happy with it even with one TPMS-less wheel.

I'm sure if I took the car somewhere else they would find a way to take off the caps without breaking any sensor... but anyways, too late now.

Anyone already had this bad experience?
Sure did!! Thanks for the post gonna give it a shot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts