Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if changing from stock oil to Royal Purple syn is going to harm the engine? I always thought synthetic oil was way better than regular grade.. Also im thinking about changing out the trans/diff oil with royal purple ATF synthetic. Anyone done this? or is it not recommended? I noticed that infiniti strictly enforces using the nissan J or D oil , (cant remember which) but i'd really like to put some royal purple in , love the product.

·
Registered
566 Posts
From a similar discussion on My350Z.com forum (same 5spd AT):

Diff: 1.4 L of any GL-5 rated 80w-90. For climates above freezing, you can use SAE 90. Make sure you get GL5! (75W-90 Royal Purple will work)

Tranny: Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent (Castrol Transmax J or IDEMITSU ATF HP)

This is what the manual says:
Automatic Transmission Fluid: Genuine Nissan ATF Matic Fluid J*4

Differential Gear Oil: API GL-5 Viscosity SAE 80W-90*7

See CAPACITIES AND RECOMMENDED FUEL / LUBRICANTS and My350Z.com discussion

I usually take Mobile1 5-30 synthetic to my dealer along with the oil filter (mobile1 or K&N) and they perform the oil change with no questions asked.

The time before last when I was there I complained about some clunking noise coming from around the rear left tire when I hit large sharp bumps so they filled the paper work and examined it then the senior tech got behind the wheel and got on the gas and immediately turned to me and said yours a 35 or 45, it's a 45 right? I said no, it is a 35. He continued it feels like a 45. :p

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You had a huge smile on that one..you earned it

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
particlefx said:
As far as the oil goes, there's no reason that I can think of why synthetic oil would be bad for our engine. Many of us have switched to Mobile 1 synthetic.
And some of us ----Amsoil
I changed all my fluids, (except transmission) to Amsoil. I've been using Amsoil in every vehicle I've owned for over 30 yrs. I swear by it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am getting ready to change everything over to amsoil (except Transmission) Which grade Amsoil are you using? Did you drain the transfer case and differentials? Do the diffs have drain plugs or did you pump it out?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Used to run Royal Purple in the Supercharged truck. But it's too hard to find (and the **** Royal Purple factory is only 20mins. away!) so use Amsoil now since 1,000miles :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
npc2396 said:
I am getting ready to change everything over to amsoil (except Transmission) Which grade Amsoil are you using? Did you drain the transfer case and differentials? Do the diffs have drain plugs or did you pump it out?
I changed everything over to AmsOil (except the trans - would have if they offered a compatible synthetic). The diffs and transfer case have drain plugs, but you'll need to find a way to pump the new fluid in.
Here's what I used:
Engine: 5w30
Transfer case:ATF
Diffs: 80w90 gear lube

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.