Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you using synthetic oil, how often do you change your oil? What filter do you use?

I have to change my oil for the first time in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go synthetic. The local Infiniti dealer uses a Penzoil synthetic blend, but said I could use regular oil if I wanted to. If I can go 5k on synthetic, it would be worth it for no other reason than I wouldn't have to change the oil as often.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
kxfx45 said:
For those of you using synthetic oil, how often do you change your oil? What filter do you use?

I have to change my oil for the first time in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go synthetic. The local Infiniti dealer uses a Penzoil synthetic blend, but said I could use regular oil if I wanted to. If I can go 5k on synthetic, it would be worth it for no other reason than I wouldn't have to change the oil as often.
I say to go synthetic all the way. I use Mobile1 5w30.
I just use stock filters ( 2 for $9). Use a quality filter not some cheap one. I change mine every 4000 just to be on the safe side. First change and a change to synthtic was at 4000 and the every 4000 since.

I am thinking of changing to synthetic in the differentional.

There is a could sticky post in "How Tos" on changing the oil.

·
Registered
329 Posts
my dealer does the servicing and on my first service at 3750 he said not to do synthetic and after that u can
so at 7500 i got sythetic done and from there on ever 7500 i get synthetic done at the dealership thats whats the service book as scheduled every 7500 miles

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe most cars can go to synthetic (including the FX) on the 1st oil change. Most of my other cars come with synthetic from the factory. Synthetic oil is the same as regular oil except it does not break down as quickly and easily as conventional oil. If you change your oil often (every 3000), OEM filters will work fine. I would stick with Mobil 1 as this is what cars that have synthetic from the factory use. One of my BMW's used Syntec from Castrol, but everything else was Mobil 1. I put 0W30 Mobil 1 in the FX and it runs great. I also want to replace the other fluids with synthetic, dont know what to use for the transmission fluid. I read the service manual and it sounds like a complicated job because the FX has an external transmission radiator. If anybody is interested in the chapter from the manual for changing out the fluids (PDF file), PM me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I am looking for is if it is ok to go 5k between changes or not. Sounds like it is ok.

Are OEM filters good for 5k with synthetic?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts