Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a real good time at the z meet today..........with all the speeding up and then quickly stopping..... 8)

I had a case of Brake Fade :(

It was horrible, I really felt that the brakes were not going to stop. It was not anti-locking up. It was squshy, press to the floor, light viberations in the wheel, medium viberations on the floor, brakes stated to make a thumping sound and and they started to smell a bit. This all stopped once the brakes cooled down, thank god.

So anyway.......since I will not be able to ever pay for a new brake kit......I need some high performance Street brake pads (ASAP). I dont want racing pads.

Please help me...........I need to order them as well this week.

****, expensive week :( but hopefully a good payoff. 8)

Should I do a stainless steel line kit first? :? :?

I dont know.....I need help :?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
It's my understanding that if normally-good brakes fade, then it's a line or fluid issue, not a pad issue. I've seen people here say good things about stainless steel lines (but I wish someone would explain the technical reasons on how what the line is made of could make a difference in that?).

·
Registered
411 Posts
The theory behind upgrading to braided stainless brake lines is that the stock rubber hoses are soft, and can expand when pressure builds in the line. This causes the pedal to be soft and spongy. The braided lines don't flex like this, and - in theory - provide a firmer, more consistent pedal feel.

I've used them on other cars, and they do work. Might not be the magic bullet that cures all your braking ills... But they do help.

Matthew

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quite right.
Conventional brake lines expand and contract. A steel braided is kept more rigid. This helps the correct pressure to uniformly reach the braking cylinders.

Firstly, as you have been in the bad weather months Dawn, you may just have "marbled" pads (if you have not been braking aggresively of late).
Also, it is worth checking the fluid level.
To check the pad depth is pretty easy. Try that first.

If they do need replacing then I have heard nothing but good things about "Green Pads" http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.j ... brake+pads

You can certainly fit braided hoses but I would not (IMO) think it completely necessary. The FX brakes are pretty darn good so not my first choice to spend my $$$

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.