Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my mock-up motor last week and took the manifold off. I will be setting up my belts for the supercharger and didn't want to assemble my machined motor since I need have the rotating assembly balanced once I get the remaining parts back.

Supercharger on the left is the original 1.7L, the one beside it sitting on the manifold is the 2.2L and to the far right is the OEM manifold

Supercharger setup compared to the OEM manifold.

These show how the supercharger sits on top of the OEM lower manifold. It's not really any higher.

Supercharger with rear inlet mounted, same location as the factory throttle body.

Supercharger manifold showing the ports where the Laminova Liquid intercooler cores will slide in.

Plate style adapter from a Kenne Bell Ford V10 kit.

NOS NOSZle adapters installed into the OEM manifold.

NOS NOSZle installed with the Supercharger setup. Tight clearance on one of the fuel rail support mount.

VK45 Fuel pump mounting.

VK45 Intake manifold variations.

OK, here I go.....

some time I go, I had this little idea about seeing the possibility of a low boost simple supercharger kit for the VK45 using a plate style adapter. As you can see, the SC and the OEM setup are not much different in terms of physical size.

The plate adapter would be similar to the Kenne Bell shown above. You bolt the lower plate to the lower OEM manifold, and with the supercharger bolted to upper plate, you could now bolt the two plates together. The problem with the plate is that it would raise the supercharger by at least an inch and cannot be intercooled.

BUT....you could move the supercharger back to give it more clearance as the hood rises as it get to the firewall and you will need a longer extension drive.
For intercooling, you can do methanol/alcohol/water/ect.

The manifold could also me machined down and the lower plate welded in, which would give you more room and the possibility of adding liquid intercooler cores.

I haven't decided how far I will go with this, but in case anyone is interested, I hope this is can give you some further ideas.

For the Nitrous, the NOS NOSZle kit is a very attractive looking setup as it fits between the intake manifold and the fuel injectors without requiring drilling and tapping. You do need to tap the fuel line off the rail. There is a billet adapter available for the G35/350Z that I think would work, but I have not confirmed this yet. This kit is a universal kit that will work on cars that use Bosch-style O-rings for the injectors such as our VK45.

This kit does fit under the supercharger but the bolt for the fuel rail mount is very close and need a low head bolt or capscrew to work properly. I haven't decided if I will run nitrous in my car yet.

When I was taking my mock-up motor apart, I noticed that the fuel rail did not have a return line, so I figured it was an M45 thing. Turns out that the fuel return line is a 2002 Q45. It just makes tuning a bit more difficult. If forum members can confirm what model and year your car is and if it has the return line or not, please let me know.

The last picture shows the variations of the manifolds and throttle body positions. This is important as it makes the plate adapter limited in what it will fit because of where the TB and MAF are located, unless they are willing to do some extra fabrication work.

I forgot to note that I have 2002 Q45, where as the mock-up motor came for a 2004 M45 that rolled over.

·
Registered
680 Posts
great pictures, obvious that some hard work has gone into that, keep us all updated on your progress, as for any of your qauestions id be intersted in the outcome

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
This is VERY interesting... +1 on updates!

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
wow interesting set up... good luck! and keep us updated :eek:

first we have turbo with his proposed HR motor swap and now we have a nitrous idea... :mrgreen: the mod bug is evolving to the next level!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't quite decided yet if I will run NOS. This is the build-up parts.

Low compression Venolia Pistons 0.020 oversized, block is machined to match with the deck o-ringed, Billet Pauter X-Beam connecting rods.

I can't promise frequent or regular updates as I have a few projects, awaiting additional parts, and small budget

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
That's a purdy block... love it when they look so nice and clean!

·
Registered
680 Posts
BUMP

i waanna know more, anything new happened on the purdy Block??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting the internals balanced at the moment and the block is getting a line bore hone. I converted to main studs with girdle from the VH45, which caused the main caps to be a thou tighter than the available bearings.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bump

any luck with the Balancing and the Bore?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts