Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody run any wiring through the plastic housing with the overhead lights and into the sunglass holder? I was interested in putting a little monitor in that spot. Is it difficult to get behind that housing.

I searched around and found discussions of people inquiring/thinking about getting to the sunglass holder but no one having done it.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
Running wires to that area shouldnt be a problem. However, the actual sunglass compartment is pretty much part of the headliner - you have to CUT the plastic posts holding it to remove it (or remove the headliner partially).

I'd like to meet the genius behind the design so I can give him/her a nice swift roundhouse kick to the head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
ujmot said:
However, the actual sunglass compartment is pretty much part of the headliner - you have to CUT the plastic posts holding it to remove it.

I'd like to meet the genius behind the design so I can give him/her a nice swift roundhouse kick to the head.
Here's the thing- if it weren't so firmly attached, I can bet you any money that either Nissan would get complaints about either rattles, or the thing falling off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
kcrudup said:
ujmot said:
However, the actual sunglass compartment is pretty much part of the headliner - you have to CUT the plastic posts holding it to remove it.

I'd like to meet the genius behind the design so I can give him/her a nice swift roundhouse kick to the head.
Here's the thing- if it weren't so firmly attached, I can bet you any money that either Nissan would get complaints about either rattles, or the thing falling off.
As long as they don't make rattles like my friend's G35, I'm happy with whatever they did to it. I just can't stand rattles... :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I guess I just cut a small hole/opening in the top part of the sunglass holder and then just fish the wires through. Much appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually like keeping my sunglasses in it's Ray-Ban case. Then I place the case between the ash tray(closed) and round metal shifter frame on the center console. It never slips or moves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
GraFX35: I'm not exactly sure what you're planning, but you can remove the map light assembly so that you can get a good look inside.


kcrudup said:
Here's the thing- if it weren't so firmly attached, I can bet you any money that either Nissan would get complaints about either rattles, or the thing falling off.
Awww c'mon Kenny, it's a simple sunglass compartment. Every other car that has one (including other Nissan/Infiniti models) are designed so that it can be removed easily. If they cant design a simple compartment held on by clips without having rattles, they really have no business putting cars together.

If a part broke, like the compartment door latch- the dealer has to replace the entire headliner because of a $0.05 spring or plastic. A well thought out design - if it's set to fail after warranty expires! :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ujmot said:
GraFX35: I'm not exactly sure what you're planning, but you can remove the map light assembly so that you can get a good look inside.
So the whole map light assembly is attached by clips as welll? So I can wedge in a screwdriver or something to pop them out? Yeah or no? That's great if I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
GraFX35 said:
So the whole map light assembly is attached by clips as welll? So I can wedge in a screwdriver or something to pop them out? Yeah or no? That's great if I can.
Only the map lights w/ the sunroof switch, not the entire overhead compartment trim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, gotcha. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
ujmot said:
Every other car that has one (including other Nissan/Infiniti models) are designed so that it can be removed easily.
They are? Huh. Do people do this on a regular basis?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
kcrudup said:
ujmot said:
Every other car that has one (including other Nissan/Infiniti models) are designed so that it can be removed easily.
They are? Huh. Do people do this on a regular basis?
Uh... ok, I think you're just messin with me now but in case you're serious....

Things CAN break. Replacing a tiny part should not have to involve replacing the entire headliner. That's like replacing an entire computer because a key on the keyboard doesn't work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
ujmot said:
... but in case you're serious:

Things CAN break.
Ah. I hadn't considered the "repair" issue, just the "customization" one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
I thought about putting a Navigation screen up in the sunglass area as well, however when I was test fitting it I found that when it is open/down it severely blocked my visibility of the RVM, enough to turn me off of the idea... check it out before you get too far into your project to see if you can live with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
GraFX35, or anyone
Did you every run any wires from the sunglass holder?

I have 2.5 inch monitor I'd like to use as a rearview display.

It looks as though the wiring to the light runs to the left side of the FX and down the pillar. And I would run my wires this way.

Don't want to mess anything up trying to do this, so any previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Here is where I found the monitor: http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/it ... itemid=512
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha...that's exactly the monitor I was going to install. But I've been distracted with other projects (not necessaryily FX related). So I have yet to install it. Sorry.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top