Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's bigger than the first one I made. I used thicker fiber mats to make it stronger. It has a built-in amp rack. It's big but it will fit right under the cargo cover to keep the equipment hidden. I don't know how it's going to sound yet. This unit took a lot more work than the first one and it was very hard to apply carpet. I had to make a few extra cuts because of its shape and size.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
so they don't recline at all? should still be ok because people don't usually fit behind me with my seat so far back anyway and also i don't want people kicking my carputer under my seat. guess, i'll just recline the right rear seat.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Great looking box, dude. Have you thought about finishing it without carpet? (using bondo and paint or with vinyl)

Couple questions on building a glass box.. How do you make the mold? How do you attach the fiberglass portion to the wood portion?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great looking box, dude. Have you thought about finishing it without carpet? (using bondo and paint or with vinyl)

Absolutely! I really want to use Vinyl. I like the way it looks and feels and it's much easier to find matching colors. But with vinyl it has to be sewn to look nice but it's too expensive to have the shop do it so I want to do it myself. I've been trying to find a good quality heavy douty and cheap sewing machine for awhile now.
Couple questions on building a glass box.. How do you make the mold? How do you attach the fiberglass portion to the wood portion?

To make a mold, you have to tape the side of the trunk, lay the fiber mats, and then apply resin and wait for it to harden.

There is another piece that goes between the wood and fiber glass mold. This piece can be made of polyester fabric. It can be glued to the mold and staple to the wooden piece. Then you apply lots of resins to the fabric.

It's a lot of steps and time consuming. I have all the tools and that makes it fun.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you thought about finishing it without carpet? (using bondo and paint or with vinyl)
Absolutely! I really want to use Vinyl. I like the look and feel of it plus there are so many color to choose from. But for vinyl to look nice it has to be sewn and the shop charged too much so I want to do it myself. I've been looking for a good but cheap heavy duty sewing machine for a month now but have not find anything yet.
I'll have to bug my wife to teach me how to sew. :) So that's my next project, enclosure V3.0 :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
can't wait to see 3.0!

thx for the info.. this is something i would love to try, but I don't really have the tools or time for it.

I'm currently thinking of getting a shallow mount sub (either Earthquake SWS 12 or the Pioneer) and having a shop make a fiberglass enclosure for the inside of the spare tire (where the Blose currently sits).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm currently thinking of getting a shallow mount sub (either Earthquake SWS 12 or the Pioneer) and having a shop make a fiberglass enclosure for the inside of the spare tire (where the Blose currently sits).
I thought about doing that before I made my enclosures but I took some measurement and there is not that much room. I worried that if I go through all the trouble making it and if it's just a little better then the Bose then it's not worth it. It's about getting the most bang for your bucks. Plus you are limited to a few subwoofers that will fit. But please let me know how much they charge you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm starting my next project this weekend.

1. Space saver enclosure for a shallow mount PIONEER TS-SW124D 12". I ordered the sub and it should be here next week.
I will try vinyl wraping on this one. I'll report back how it sounds and some pictures. It should take me a couple of weekends.

After that's done I want to try and make a dual sub enclosure similar to Shady's but probably add some curves with fiber glass. Not sure about the design yet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
****, dude! this is becoming a hobby! Can't wait to see what the shallow mount enclosure looks like. I imagine if you are putting it in the same location, it will not jut out nearly as far and maybe you can access the spare w/o moving it?

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
****, dude! this is becoming a hobby! Can't wait to see what the shallow mount enclosure looks like. I imagine if you are putting it in the same location, it will not jut out nearly as far and maybe you can access the spare w/o moving it?
Yeah, it's a hobby. I've always enjoyed doing woodwork and now with fiberglass it's even more fun. :)

I'll try and make it small so the floor board can be open up without moving the sub. But the sub has to sound good also. It'll be interesting to hear how it'll sound comparing to my current setup.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has anyone looked at or know if the audiobahn awp310T or awp312T subs are ok for a install in the well of the spare tire? It has a 4.5 inch mounting dept, is that enough? How is the quality of this brand?
The Pioneer requires only 3 1/4" mounting depth, 4" overall depth,
and it looks cool.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/p ... lComponent

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is a sweet box man! I want the same but thinner - lookin to put in a Pioneer Shallow... BUt, just bought digital SLR since babay is coming! But, will be looking to discuss with you makin a sweet mod like yours soon!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is a sweet box man! I want the same but thinner - lookin to put in a Pioneer Shallow... BUt, just bought digital SLR since babay is coming! But, will be looking to discuss with you makin a sweet mod like yours soon!
Congrats! Good man! You got your priority straight :) You gonna be busy for awhile. :) I know all about it. I have a 12 year old girl. Email me anytime you ready.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.