Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've had my 2006 FX45 for about 6 weeks now. And already there have been a number of instances where a friend gets out of the car goes around to the rear hatch and stands there waiting for that magic "click" that the door is now open for them to open. Is there not a button or switch anywhere up front where I can open the rear hatch from the drivers seat? Am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
nope.

you press the button up under the license plate to do a realese and lift it up by hand.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
There is actually an emergency release lever inside the hatch panel. There is a small square panel you can pop off with your finger, and there is a lever in there.

·
Registered
354 Posts
johnmax said:
There is actually an emergency release lever inside the hatch panel. There is a small square panel you can pop off with your finger, and there is a lever in there.
whoa... I had no idea.

·
Registered
267 Posts
johnmax said:
Sounds like James Bond. I wish there was a secret lever that activated missiles. (I sure would have liked to waste the lady that cut me off today!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep knew about the emergency hatch panel, unfortunately I'm usually in the front drivers seat - not the rear cargo area. :lol:

Seriously, this - in my opinion is a major flaw in design. Granted I can "remind" my passenger that they have to open the hatch themselves, but they are only doing what we've all come to expect - a rear hatch that can be opened from the driver's position.

So is there a mod that exists for this feature/functionality? ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
rondo1 said:
Seriously, this - in my opinion is a major flaw in design. Granted I can "remind" my passenger that they have to open the hatch themselves, but they are only doing what we've all come to expect - a rear hatch that can be opened from the driver's position.
Most SUVs do not have the means of opening the cargo door from the front seat. The only ones that might are those with automatic open/close doors like the Lexus RX. The way the FX is designed, the door would immediately close into the locked position without any upward pressure to open the door.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually that rear interior latch is designed for kidnappings so to speak. Mostly seen in trunks of cars and now SUV's.

One might think its a dumb idea because you can just climb over the seat... but if your hands and legs were tied up it might actually be a good way to get out.
Cars now have their interior trunk release in a glow-in-the-dark color so you can see it when the trunk is closed.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
velox said:
Actually that rear interior latch is designed for kidnappings so to speak. Mostly seen in trunks of cars and now SUV's.

One might think its a dumb idea because you can just climb over the seat... but if your hands and legs were tied up it might actually be a good way to get out.
Cars now have their interior trunk release in a glow-in-the-dark color so you can see it when the trunk is closed.
I dont understand the glow in the dark though, trunks are usually dark, so how would it glow. I doubt kidnappers drive around with their trunks popped :shock: or it could just be a super glow in the dark material, which would be cool.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
yeah, I would think if someone planned on kidnapping someone in a trunk they might think to remove the big glowing t handle to begin with, maybe take the shotguns out of the trunk too :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my best friend just schooled me on this issue. HIs BMW X5 has this feature, but it doesn't work (from his drivers seat) if the car is moving (for safety reasons). His Jeep had a feature, but it was to open the WINDOW in the rear door and not the door itself. Now that I think about it safety wise it does make sense - and I'll just have to school my less than bright friends that stand back there like idiots. LOL. ;-)

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Well to go back to your original question, there is not even a need for this switch you are asking about. As long as the doors are unlocked, anyone can press the button to pop the hatch. No need for that 20th century "hey pop the trunk". :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
i found that lever in the back hatch of the FX. there is no glow thing, its just a little square (black for me) that pops off the door, and inside is a metal lever that i assume unlatches the lock if you move when the door is closed. good to know if the button ever should fail.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yes or if you get something caught in there. I have a thin blanket for the dog so he doesnt scratch the bumper when he gets in. A couple times it has gotten caught in the latch. That lever was the only way to open the hatch then.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I thought that as long as the car is put in "parking," the hatch unlocks and anyone and press the button to open. About the kidnapping, i think they'd knock you out before putting you in the trunk... :D

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Nope, the cargo door's lock is tied into the door locks.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
^^^ Not sure if there's been a slight redesign but my 07 needs to be in PARK to let the hatch open... I was at the border and had the FX in NEUTRAL (with parking brake on) with all doors unlocked. The border cop wanted to check my trunk and it wouldn't open till I put it in park.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
johnmax said:
THanks, I just ued it today and it worked.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've always called that emergency release lever in the trunk/cargo area the Tony Soprano Switch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts