Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from Chrysler store where I wasted 1/2 a day dealing with stupid morons from GM on down :roll: . First off, the car I want is available on special order only and may take 8-plus weeks to get in. Oh, and they still want MSRP for it. But that's the least of my worries.
Here are a few gems the GM figured he'd share with me.
1. DC corp. advises dealers against selling cars to customers who intend to ship them overseas.
2. Sales are only made to physical parties residing in the US.
3. Sales tax must be collected regardless of whether the vehicle will be shipped abroad and therefore isn't registered locally.
4. RMV ( Registry ) may choose not to release the title pending the collection of the sales tax.
5. Next time you spot a showroom the size of an extra large dog house, keep on driving ( OK, I added this one myself :twisted: )
So now I have only one Q - WTF ? Are these people retarded, or something ?
DC Corp. should be thanking me for taking the car out of the country 'cause they won't have to pay out a dime in warranty claims. And how the **** are they gonna track the VIN of a car located 8K miles away ? This prick manager tells me they can do that via shipping company's database. I dunno, sounds like a crock to me. Also, since when foreign nationals can't phone in US dealer to buy a car ? I thought auto dealers wouldn't mind closing even Been Laden, if they could. Anyhow, none of this crap makes any sense. Speaking of which, the build and materials on the 300C, turns out, are nothing much. Barely OK paint, el cheapo plastics, hard leather wrapping funky-shaped seats and fairly modest rear room. And good luck clearing the front corners with such tall hood.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sales tax must be collected regardless of whether the vehicle will be shipped abroad and therefore isn't registered locally
not true. I'm in the military and a Florida resident living outside Florida. When I bought a car in Boston last year I did not pay sales tax in Mass. I drove the car home then wrote a check for the tax to the county in FL.

PS- if you think you had a bad day, check out what I went through
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2419&highlight=coleman

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's no uncommon for dealers to not sell specific cars they know will go overseas.

When I bought a vette in '99 there was a contract I had to sign stating that I would not be shipping the vehicle overseas. They even have a list of brokers who they will not sell the car to.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Interesting. You might have asked them how they handle overseas military sales. :? The rules may have changed, but I recall buying my Vette that way, back in '85, and didn't have to worry about sales tax. I didn't even need any kind of stateside registration. They did want me to keep if for six months prior to selling to a foreign national...the cars were nearly 100% more if you bought one in Germany at the time...guess who was making that profit?!?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ltmarks said:
Sales tax must be collected regardless of whether the vehicle will be shipped abroad and therefore isn't registered locally
not true. I'm in the military and a Florida resident living outside Florida. When I bought a car in Boston last year I did not pay sales tax in Mass. I drove the car home then wrote a check for the tax to the county in FL.

PS- if you think you had a bad day, check out what I went through
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2419&highlight=coleman

You pay the sales tax where your vehicle is registered. Whether or not you reside there is another matter completely. Back in the day around here certain beautiful people who owned so much as a doormat-sized piece of real estate up in NH would register their $60K-plus cars there to avoid paying sales & excise taxes both. Well, it didn't take long for the MA state Gov to sniff that out. Next thing you know these folks are hit with $$$$$ bills, plus penalties, plus 8% interest. They even instituted a 1-800-RATS-ARE-US number so busybodies can turn in their neighbors.
What I wanna know is different - Why in the **** should Pat McGroin residing in Dublin, Ireland pay MA state sales tax when the car he's buying would end up across the pond. Especially in light of the fact that had he planned to register it in either NH or OR the state of MA won't be collecting from him anything. What kind of illogical B.S. is that ?

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I guess I don't see why you need the dealer at all, esp if you are resigned to paying full sticker on it. Why don't you try an internet car dealer like Carsdirect.com or Autobytel.com?

·
Registered
549 Posts
pudicus said:
You pay the sales tax where your vehicle is registered. Whether or not you reside there is another matter completely.
In the past, I've purchased several bikes new in other states and had them shipped to the state I wanted it registered in (involving WA.=>CA., FL.=>GA, and almost IL.=> registered in FL. with the bike shipped to CA. too). When you go to the DMV to initiate the request for State plates, I believe that they collect the sales tax along with the license/registration fees at that time. The particular state requires that you show a local address and driver's license in that state otherwise you won't be allowed to register the vehicle there. So, in a sense state government requires documentation of living in that state although you could legally own properties in 2 states, one as a secondary residence and not ever have lived there. I'm just not certain how the Driver's license ID works out to pass DMV in a non-primary residence state as I didn't complete the transaction on my last example although I know it's doable. The dealership also had no issues with it.

I believe that your dealership with knowledge of you shipping the vehicle overseas (gray market were you to sell it there for profit) was basically requiring that they collect the State sales tax maybe due to liability through some sort of manufacturer policy/responsibility being a Chrysler dealership. Best thing is just bring it up with another dealer and ask about registration in another country just to get a second opinion. Besides, you're paying MSRP and this particular dealership doesn't appear to really want your business or offer any incentives for you to go back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Before 3-4 months I negotiate Corvette in FL for export shipping with no problems. Some companies have policy about export of their products which not allow direct export from dealers for some reasons. That's why dealer want from you to pay sales tax.

Regards

Steve A.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Many foreign auto manufacturers run into this problem of "can't send the vehicle oversea" issue since they sometimes need to ship the vehicles to its home R&D dept.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts