Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what strut/shocks would some1 reccomend for the eibach springs...and please have a link with the product

please helppppp

thankx from ur newbie

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes. Do a search. You can't imagine how much I've learned SEARCHING first before carrying on a more advanced discussion on a subject. Remember. What you're interested in is most likely what we've all been interested in at some recent point in time. Same questions asked, same responses, then new questions on old topics that bring us all more insight!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
882 Posts
ah man...you have to change your avatar...i had it first...asky anyone in this forum whose been around for a while

·
Registered
599 Posts
I don't believe his question has really been covered before. He asked what strut/shock to mix with the Eibach for a good setup.

Anyways, currently there are no replacement aftermarket shocks or struts available for the FX35/FX45. The only items available in terms of suspension components are:

- Eibach or H&R lowering springs,
- Stillen Srut Tower Bar
- H&R Spacers
- If ur car is RWD you can purchase and install the AWD rear sway bar.
- Big brake kits
- Rims and tires

That's all. Nothing in terms of shocks. sorry. I'm sure there are other people who would be interested but the market is too small for such an item.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thankx Ak1nza for your info....I changed my avatar mushutofu sry bout that

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
With the minor drop and stiffening the Eibachs or H&Rs provide, you really don't need to upgrade the struts, anyway. It's only when you get into agressive changes to the suspension geometry/stiffness that replacing struts is recommneded b/c the imbalance between the springs and struts will wear out the stock ones much quicker.

Prodrive advertised an active suspension set-up a while back (do a search for it), but due to low demand has thus far elected not to produce it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
thx

in terms of shock i think our stock shocks can handle the minor drop. The shocks are stiffer than most oem shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Well, according to his profile he doesn't explicity say he has the "sport" model that comes with the "sport-tuned" suspension. Infiniti claims that the sport version comes with stiffer struts/shocks and springs so dropping the car should be ok. If he has the supposedly softer non-sport suspension, would dropping the car still be ok? Who knows...

Then again, no one has been able to verify any differences in part numbers between the non-sport vs. sport struts/shocks so they might be the same firmness afterall. :p :roll:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no I dont have the sport package but I was also wondering how much the camber bolts are and where I could find them

·
Registered
471 Posts
You don't need camber bolts.

Also, make sure that whoever does the springs also puts on the rear bump stop replacements that come with the Eibachs. If you leave the stock bump stops, you will be riding on them.

I finally had a chance to swap out the OE bump stops. I cut the ones from Eibach about 1/2". The ride has really smoothened out. My initial thoughts that the car felt like it was riding on its bump stops were confirmed, they did!

My only issue with the Eibachs is that the rear coils are progressively wound, and as such, there's actually coil bind when laden. What's the point of a progressive spring if it's so soft that the vehicle weight compresses the progressive section to the point of coil bind?? Seems pretty stupid to me.

·
Registered
882 Posts
i've had same issues with eibach...never bought them again. My 99 accord bottomed out like crazy when going down hills or steep declines and the ride was so bouncy. I swithced them out to neuspeed and the ride was like night and day!

I ran H&R on my TL-s with stock shocks and the ride was really nice. It stiffened out a bit but felt like my FX does now.

SO far Neuspeed and H&R springs have proven to be really good companies for springs from my previous usage.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mushtofu:

Your experience with a '99 Accord appears to be a mismatch between OEM shocks/struts with the progressive Eibach Springs. It's hard to find out from Eibach what the "spring rates-kgs/mm, lbs/in" range are on each Eibach spring model but if you got any kind of pogo-affect, it's due to mismatched damping/rebound rates of the shocks/struts vs. the varying spring rate of the springs. The strut/shocks cannot do their proper job of controlling the dynamic movement of the wheels/tires/springs/suspension with the lowering and new springs, let alone the sprung weight of the vehicle. I owned a '98 Accord V-6 SE when they first came out with the new gen and remember that the suspension was soft and focused more on a smooth ride rather than handling. Bottoming out appears to be too little dampening and jumping back too quickly is too much rebound (you turn up rebound to get more resistance to this affect - eg adjustable coilovers) Also, "sag" which is where the vehicle and the variable spring sits during standstill contributes to bottoming out - meaning the struts/shocks are already compressed (being lowered ~1.5) limiting suspension travel (losing ~1.5" of travel) once the vehicle is driven. I've learned a lot about suspension set-up just from my track time and experience with Superbikes (2 modified Yamaha R1s) in the past.

On a highly-modified '87 Mustang GT (way back in college) I HAD to change the strut/shocks when I lowered it with Eibachs because of the same issues you had. It handled much worse than stock regardless of the lower CG. I installed Mustang-specific KYBs and they danced perfectly with the Eibachs! It was amazing in handling overall with that setup (over stock), much crisper and tighter handling. Night and Day changing the stock shocks/struts to match
the Eibachs.

For the FX45, the Eibach springs match very well to stock OEM strut/shocks although it could be improved by the aftermarket. You can only go with universal application strut/shocks (KYBs a good place to start) although experimenting in the dynamics of your suspension would be very expensive and not prove fruitful. An idea would be to find a modded SUV in the same class that uses Eibach springs and find out what struts/shocks complemented them. Most likely, the owners would just have Eibach-matched shocks/struts anyways. Another idea, look at applications for Eibachs on larger, heavier SUVs (Denali, Expedition, QX56 someday?) if you're going to track this thing or don't mind a firmer,stiffer ride. Just some thoughts...............

BTW, great site with links to anything you want to know about suspensions, including links to supplier/manufacturer websites:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.com/zerothread?id=11638

1 - 13 of 13 Posts