Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hey, that looks pretty nice. I may just have to do that. The splotchy muffler has always bugged me whenever I look a teh car form the back at an angle I can see it. Keep us posted on how the paint holds up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use a Custom Muffler shop in Euless. They have done my other vehicles and they paint all parts silver before hanging the muffler. Looks good...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking I'd want to do the midpipe as well, since you can see it hanging down, too.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have a stainless steel magnaflow muffler that'll be for sale in about a week with 4" tips if youd rather have the shiny look :wink:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
mushutofu said:
I have a stainless steel magnaflow muffler that'll be for sale in about a week with 4" tips if youd rather have the shiny look :wink:
I like the sound of the stock exhaust and don't really plan on changing anything other that the cats and maybe the Y-pipe.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
If you changed the Cats & the Y, wouldn't the sound change also? :?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
If you changed the Cats & the Y, wouldn't the sound change also? :?
Just makes it a bit more of what it already is, but doesn't change it drastically.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
What is the purpose of opening up the exhaust starting from the engine, to only restrict the flow at the final exit? :? Wouldn't that be = to changing the plenum, but not doing a CAI? / Better to start improving breathing from furthest point away from engine first, then work your way toward the engine, no?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
What is the purpose of opening up the exhaust starting from the engine, to only restrict the flow at the final exit? :? Wouldn't that be = to changing the plenum, but not doing a CAI? / Better to start improving breathing from furthest point away from engine first, then work your way toward the engine, no?
The guys on My350Z have pretty much concluded that the most restrictive parts of the exhaust are the cats and Y-pipe; the mid-pipe and muffler flow pretty well as-is. Others may feel differently and hold that going to a full cat-back is best. For me, it's personal preference (I don't really care to have my FX sound like a modded NA Z w/ wild cat-back) and cost factor.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The crawford CATs change the sound. Mostly, from inside the cabin. If you stand right next to the exhaust tips I think it still sounds pretty much the same only a bit louder. But from the drivers seat, you can hear a difference coming from your feet.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ShadyJC said:
Hey, umm... is that safe? Anyone else have concerns about the specific type of paint used and potential temperature of the muffler? Noxious gas emission from paint breaking down?

I know certain types of paint are rated for extremely high temps which should be ok but if it is your average spray paint or whatever may not be able to withstand ~200 degree temps.
Fr some reason, factory apllied a light charcoal color paint over the muffler and pipes, with water and and a scour pad I easily washed/scraped it all off, it turned out the muffler had a bright beautiful silver color and the pipe I think is made by copper, so that's good because if the paint fades off the silver muffler still remain, even with that benefit I still wanted to do about 10 coatings to make sure.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
dinofx35 said:
The crawford CATs change the sound. Mostly, from inside the cabin. If you stand right next to the exhaust tips I think it still sounds pretty much the same only a bit louder. But from the drivers seat, you can hear a difference coming from your feet.
That's pretty much what I expect and want.

John, how many coats do you have on it in the pics and how much have you driven it since painting? Any funky smells or anything?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
From my 45 experience and and same with my other cars...I gained a lot with the 3",Flowmaster change.I knew from week one that the stock exhaust was restricted( that valve they put in ours has more to do with sound than anything)...more so since I cannot do Cats.Cost wise the exhaust is cheaper than the Y and Cats.Even shiny stainless looks like whatever after 6 months!

·
Registered
882 Posts
i agree...so far i took out the resonator and instllaed a magnaflow muffler and the car pulls better at the higher rpms. Not to mention the weight saved...the stock muffler is Heavy!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts