Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do anyone or Alex?

Do you know the shipping weight on the stage two supercharger from stillen, and are you still running the special till the end of the year, because if I come back to the US for christmas, thinking about giving it to myself as a christmas present, haha, but I want to know the shipping weight so I can see if I can do carry on or ship air frieght and is the install hard to do or decent, and looking at stillen site I cant seem to find what they mean by stage 3.

Thanks and info would be great.

Jim

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Here you go Jim... I think this is what you are looking for...
http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_detai ... 397&page=1

Supercharger Horsepower

Stock - Flywheel - 287 hp / Wheel - 238 hp
STAGE 1 - Flywheel - 369 hp / Wheel - 305 hp
STAGE 2 - Flywheel - 384 hp / Wheel - 317 hp
STAGE 3 - Flywheel - 410 hp / Wheel - 339 hp
Note: the numbers above are from the 350Z and most imporatantly, that's "THEIR" numbers, God knows what reality brings.
Anyways, IMO stage 1 is a best buy for the $$$, the Z gains 82hp at fly wheel or 67hp at rear wheel. Paying almost $1K more for stage 2 to get 15hp at flywheel or 12hp at rear wheel is a kaka, I'm sure I can use that extra $1K for something else, oh and almost for get, much cheaper in installation too... Have to admit though, that silver intercooler looks very good, wish I have all that extra money.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Is the 6psi boost that the Stage I supercharger provides low enough that the engine can run it without the intercooler? In other words, at what boost levels does the intercooler become absolutely necessary for the engine to run safely?

The Stage I has the piggy-back ECU to control the fuel-management side - any thoughts on whether it does it good job?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
GeoFX said:
Is the 6psi boost that the Stage I supercharger provides low enough that the engine can run it without the intercooler? In other words, at what boost levels does the intercooler become absolutely necessary for the engine to run safely?

The Stage I has the piggy-back ECU to control the fuel-management side - any thoughts on whether it does it good job?
Getting too technical, I don't understand more than half of it so I'm stepping out on this 1. Still wouldn't pay for Stage2, IMO.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I thought one of the guys here that started with stage1 had knocking issues due to the heat? The upgrade to stage2 too care of it, if I recall correctly. Their fuel management isn't ideal and a lot of people don't like it, but it'll get the job done. I'm sure others more versed in FI can comment more on this. You may want to go back and review the other Stillen SC threads as well.

Getting closer to pulling the trigger, John?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, we already use premium. Race fuel like you can get at the track is VERY expensive (~$5/gal), so if you're thinking you can just buy that and a Stage1 and avoid knock problems, you'd likely get off much cheaper and easier just to buy the Stage2. You COULD always visit your local paint store and pick up some Xylene or Toluene and mix your own, but that can be pretty risky. Check these crazy bastards out:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread. ... adid=83363

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Intercoolers are a must on street driven vehicles,absolutely in your climate and without that cooling you will have no ability to counter detonation(Stillen does not alter timing curve or knock retard,they add fuel with an extra injector which I discussed once before).Buy the II and look for a local tuner who may be able to alter the 2 curves,more $,but more and safer power

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
Intercoolers are a must on street driven vehicles,absolutely in your climate and without that cooling you will have no ability to counter detonation(Stillen does not alter timing curve or knock retard,they add fuel with an extra injector which I discussed once before).Buy the II and look for a local tuner who may be able to alter the 2 curves,more $,but more and safer power
ok that's true, we need the intercooler because the SC heats up the air as they compress it. Now let's learn more about intercooler here... :p
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=16

·
Registered
14 Posts
brnjugfx45 are you sure about the timing. I was told that timing is accounted for and it says it right there on the site as well. Fuel management is not bad...they do increase the pump pressure and add the injector. This is only 6psi for stgII. Stage III is 7psi. I agree with the intercooler. It's not about the performance increase, its about safety. Hotter engines detonate easier and roots style blowers are hotter in general than centrifical or turbos. Also, notice that the warranty offering is only for the stageII kit. I still have not heard of any distroyed stillen blown engines...has anyone else?The HKS kit is coming early next year for the FX . It looks pretty good, very complete with harness connectors, two injectors, timing and fuel management. The 350z guys are the guinies now...

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I will try to do this in short form-
they say that fuel is timed for max power(paraphrase),that is not a fuel curve which steps through each 50/100 rpm step for a metered amount to all injectors..they are controlling the 7th injector and not the 6 which the ECU will cut back when the motor sees too much fuel..we tried this route with the Grand National until everyone realized you needed 6 bigger injectors...it runs very rich(safe yes,max power no)confirmed by an installer.Our lone SC car has not commented on the fuel curve or timing curve
Timing curved for power,but no detail and no comment on knock retard which is the killer of these motors
No failures,because of the very rich condition,hard to blow it up,but will not max power
There are very sophisticated systems available to tuners HKS and Whipple to do this right.Stillen went an easier root.Will you be faster...yes.But
Eaton/Stillen blowers are very inefficient and draw more power,produce more heat.A Whipple on a Ford Lightening replacing the eaton is 100hp stronger and 1 second faster with adequate fuel management and timing controls.Don't we deserve as sophisticated and productive a system(Whipple is not interested-no volume and they have a Big 3 calibrator on staff)
$6000 later why not have it done right.As a business,Stillen is capitalizing off the need,they are capable of better,others have with other vehicles.

Let me add this,most 35 owners complain of the lack of bottom end punch,and they feel the Stillen will best compensate for this.Engine dynamics have to deal with cam selection,camphasing ,calibration of fuel and timing and they build power from 3500 to 6500.The Stillen has low end punch and starts to flatten that power curve as it runs out of air.An HKS will continue to build power well into the motors natural power curve,as will some other blowers.If HKS is comong into this market,it is well worth the wait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good info here...The HKS uses additional injectors also, instead of using 6 larger ones. Some of the points you make with the compensation of the 6 injectors may be affecting the 350z's now. There are only a few installed, but they are seeing very rich conditions and some are tripping the service engine lights. Posts are on my350z.com. I was told to look for HKS on the FX35 right after SEMA...Here is a link for the kit
http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=2339

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
What about the Vortec kit? Esemes had it on his G35c. They have better fuel management than the ATI and Stillen, don't they? If going centrifrugal, probably best to get the ATI tuner kit (the kit sans their fuel management), then have a good shop put together a custon fuel system for you with bigger injectors, pump, etc. and tune it all.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
FYI - quote from someone (speedracer) with the HKS supercharger taken from my350z.com. Sounds like this unit has the best fuel management system out of all the SC options available for the VQ. Hopefully a FX-specific unit will arrive soon. 8) Pics below in a 350Z.

I have the HKS supercharger. It drives beautifully. I must note that I had a problem initially with a defective supercharger unit, but that is a long and different story. Once the problem was found and remedied, the system ran incredibly. This is not a system that serves as a base for a mega-power build-up. It is an "out of the box" kit that comes fully tuned. It is not meant to be further modified in any way. It provides you with a very fast car but still within the tolerances of the stock internals. It is, in my opinion, a perfect set-up for the street. My car dyno'd at 326rwhp/325rwtorque. Too many people are simply concerned with the absolute amount of power. That is not what this system is about. It is about combining a moderate power bump with, smoothness, real world drivability and emssions compatibility. Still 400 crank hp ain't slow!!! Believe me!!! Keep in mind that much more power will require an engine rebuild to insure reliability. I wouldn't want much more power without an engine build.

The auxillary fueling system leaves the stock engine management and fuel systems functioning completely normally. A seperate sensor detects manifold pressure and, via the plug and play F-CON computer, activates the auxillary injectors accordingly when boost is detected. The stock fuel/engine management just acts as if the car is running at WOT on a N/A motor since the MAF sensor is located pre-supercharger. All this integration happens seamlessly without ANY hint of hesitation or transition between systems. This is where HKS will dominate over others: in the all important engine management department.

·
Registered
80 Posts
does the gurl come with kit? $7250 for hks. $6550 for stillen installed. i'll go with stillen...

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
04fx35 said:
does the gurl come with kit? $7250 for hks. $6550 for stillen installed. i'll go with stillen...
Street price for the HKS is around $5200-5500 according to the guys at 350Z.com. Add $1200 for labor and you're in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i wonder which one is harder to install?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts