Infiniti FX Forum banner

STILLEN HI-FLOW COLD AIR INTAKE

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Vex Viper 
#1 ·
On the Stillen site the description of this produyct claims to "add 11 horsepower at 6,100 RPM. " Does this apply to the crank or the wheel? Also I've searched the forum and haven't discovered an overall consensus on whather to go with the z tube/jwt pop charger combo, ztube/k and n, or just buy this hi-flow cold air intake from Stillen. Im only looking to spend about $250 (for the moment :twisted: ) for a minimal boost in performance whether it be HP or MPG and of course to make the FX louder! Can somebody point me in the right direction?

#2 ·
IMHO the Stillen/JWT and zTube will have the most noticeable noise increase. They sound good. I'm told the JWT is louder than the Stillen. There's a bit of a performance kick above 3K. The sound is raspier but not necessarily that much louder.

For performance mods under $250. I would go with a spacer / K &N / ztube in that order.

You can always add the Ztube after doing the K&N and spacer. Do a search on G35 Driver periodically. People are selling them from time to time. Don't think you can do a ztube and spacer for less than $250. Probably closer to $275 after you add the clamps and hoses.

Then when you get a few more bucks you can add the JWT or Stillen. You should also be able to sell the K&N. People are frequently looking for spares. I know of at least 3 that have changed hands on this site in the last 6 months.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
I went through this same situation. I decided to go with the JWT pop charger/z tube combo. It has worked out great for me. Now I am going to add a crawford plenum. This set up has worked great for me..NICE sound and good boost of power..

#4 ·
Hey Bat,

Crawford's definitely a good way to go. But..... did you notice he's trying to keep it under $250? Don't think you can do the Crawford for that or have things changed since the last time I looked?

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses , did you guys investigate the CF UTR intake tube? Becuase it requires little to no manipulation to install the unit I was thinking this would be the way to go along with the Stillen/Jwt/ Kand N.

#6 ·
justateenwithanfx said:
Thanks for the responses , did you guys investigate the CF UTR intake tube? Becuase it requires little to no manipulation to install the unit I was thinking this would be the way to go along with the Stillen/Jwt/ Kand N.
It's a very nice tube. I also believe (need to check this the CF is thermal insulating.) But, as I recall, it might price you above $250 with a CAI or spacer.

I think the price is listed on perfomrance Nissan's website. (mynismo.com)

#7 ·
I know, I saw his budget..I was just making a statement saying that I was going to get a plenum to add to my JWT and Z tube. I was informing him of how my setup has worked so far.

#8 ·
#9 ·
justateenwithanfx said:
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3426

Pics of CF UTR intake with stock airbox and the UTR Induction system.

You can get the same intake off eBay right now for $145 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Infiniti ... 0517QQrdZ1

NOTE: Their are two CF intakes that will fit our FX. The "S" one which I have and is in the eBay auction. You use stock couplers with this one. There is also a straighter one which requires A different hump hose coupler at the throttle body.

-NJJ

#10 ·
If you are on a budget you can get a UTR Polished tube for < $100. I like the way it looks and goes well with K&N/spacer combo.

#11 ·
I had Stillen remove the factory square air filter and replace with their cold intake along time ago. This is not my picture, but it's the same thing. I took my FX35 in one day to have the electronic throttle body replaced and the mechanic didn't push the plastic pins down all the way and whole intake on the side of the filter fell down into the engine bay, luckily it missed the belts when I was driving. When I got home I just removed it and never put it back on. Then reading about cold air intakes on your forums, I've been driving with a hot air intake. So I put the intake vents back on and secured it well. I noticed an instant boost in power and response. Even the trans shifts more smoothly. Live and learn. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.