Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
the header might fit.... but keep in mind that your FX will produce a lower gain in horsepower than a Z or a G...... so just don't want you to be dissapointed on a dyno day..... if you wanna build N/A.... get the pop-charger from JWT or the Stillen Air-box... Gauranteed horsepower gain for a really small fraction of the cost.

-Alex B.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
AlexAtMyNismo said:
the header might fit.... but keep in mind that your FX will produce a lower gain in horsepower than a Z or a G......
What makes you say that? Same drivetrain in the same state of tune.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yeah, there's lots of stuff there I'd like to have, but I don't really have time to sift through it all right now to try to figure out what has to do with my question above. Care to help out a bit?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the engine sit any differently in the FX than in the G35/350z? If so, angle/length of the headers will be an issue for proper fit on the FX right?

I emailed Crawford asking the same question about his headers. Doug's reply was:

"We don't think so but nobody has tried yet"

Hope Stillen comes out with a FX-specific set soon...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
GeoFX said:
Does the engine sit any differently in the FX than in the G35/350z? If so, angle/length of the headers will be an issue for proper fit on the FX right?

I emailed Crawford asking the same question about his headers. Doug's reply was:

"We don't think so but nobody has tried yet"

Hope Stillen comes out with a FX-specific set soon...
Officially, my reply would be the same as Doug's. Unofficially, I would say they'd drop right in. Exhausts and cats line right up and if the cats work, the angles the headers are sitting must be the same. Shouldn't be any clearance issues, as we have more room around the engine in our bays.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish someone around here had an extra $1200 so they can try them out for us and verify that they fit...:cry: Anyone want to volunteer? :p

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
AWD Steering knuckles could be a factor...according to Doug, No one in TN brave enough to let him try yet.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Tell you what, you buy them, I'll volunteer my car. :D Maybe we need a collection plate at the meets? :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MustGoFastR said:
Tell you what, you buy them, I'll volunteer my car. :D Maybe we need a collection plate at the meets? :lol:
I'd rather be the one volunteering my car and hope it won't be as uninspiring as the InJen episode...:p Hey Dave, how's the 'ol InJen treatin' ya these days? :)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
AWD Steering knuckles could be a factor...according to Doug, No one in TN brave enough to let him try yet.
Hmm, not a factor for me! 8)

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Jim!

No picture available but the part number for the stainless steel headers is definitely different than the G35/350Z header so there can't be any confusion.

G35/350Z part number = 508350S

FX35 part number = 508380S

Ok guys...who's first? Anyone want 18.5 lbs.ft of extra torque @ 3800 rpm for $1K? :)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Actually was thinking about getting the headers but did not want to be the first. No idea how good or bad it would be.

Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
I posted a question like this in the other forum. Here's the best response I received:

09/26/04 IssaFX wrote:

A while back, I called Stillen and they clearly stated that their current headers for the Z/G will NOT fit the FX "regardless of what anybody else might say". Doug/Crawford told me about the same but was not as 100% sure. Jason at Performance Nissan also do not think any of the current headers for the above mentioned two cars will fit on the FX but will not totally rule it out until they try it out for themselves but they will charge full price to try even if it doesn't work. The engine in the FX sits differently in the compartment than it does in these two other cousin cars so angle/depth/length can be the issue and the FX has a different part number for the exhaust manifold. If anybody knows otherwise, please enlighten us.

I forgot how it works, but if I'm not mistaken, headers are for power on the low end of the power band, right?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BenzFX said:
I posted a question like this in the other forum. Here's the best response I received:

09/26/04 IssaFX wrote:

A while back, I called Stillen and they clearly stated that their current headers for the Z/G will NOT fit the FX "regardless of what anybody else might say". Doug/Crawford told me about the same but was not as 100% sure. Jason at Performance Nissan also do not think any of the current headers for the above mentioned two cars will fit on the FX but will not totally rule it out until they try it out for themselves but they will charge full price to try even if it doesn't work. The engine in the FX sits differently in the compartment than it does in these two other cousin cars so angle/depth/length can be the issue and the FX has a different part number for the exhaust manifold. If anybody knows otherwise, please enlighten us.

I forgot how it works, but if I'm not mistaken, headers are for power on the low end of the power band, right?
Yeah but now it appears that Stillen has FX-specific headers available (see jimbmw's link above).

Gains from headers work throughout the powerband. The Z/G header gains are 11.5 hp @ 6200rpm and 18.5 lbs.ft @ 3800rpm.

Sounds like a great mod if anyone is brave enough to try them...what are the potential issues with installing aftermarket headers?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
GeoFX said:
...what are the potential issues with installing aftermarket headers?
It's a major PITA to install, otherwise you can't really go wrong.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Will this void the warranty? I am 2 hours from Crawfords! :wink:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
psmith777 said:
Will this void the warranty? I am 2 hours from Crawfords! :wink:
No Mossy-Magnuson act: no owner installed modification can void your warranty unless it can be proven that the modification was the cause of the problem.

If the obove is true, all you'll be able to do is confirm or deny the fitment; if they don't fit, Doug likley won't make FX specific headers for us and the Stillens would be our only option.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts