Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just decided to order the Grill from Stillen and Jayden gave a decent deal and so I decided to get the stainless headers too. Was going to get the ceramic ones but the stainless takes better pics. I am in Shanghai now hope I can get them by the time I get back to Taiwan.

Jim

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
jimsbmw said:
Just decided to order the Grill from Stillen and Jayden gave a decent deal and so I decided to get the stainless headers too. Was going to get the ceramic ones but the stainless takes better pics. I am in Shanghai now hope I can get them by the time I get back to Taiwan.

Jim
wow, you are really serious, lots of pix and update the details, thanks

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still in Shanghai and will be back to Taipei tomorrow, but did not get a tracking number from Jayden so not sure when they will send it out, I will post pics when I get everything installed. Just wondering was it worth getting the headers (I thought since i have the exhaust might as well match with the headers).

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
It should be worth it. I talked to Wade @ Stillen and he said they were currently doing dyno tests on a FX35 AWD with the Stillen headers and exhaust. He mentioned that they were getting gains on the order of +35 for both HP and torque. Not definitive on that though...

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats sounds great, I didnt even ask that much when I ordered the headers, Hope it even works better with thier intake and z-tube setup.

Jim

·
Registered
882 Posts
+35 Hp/torque all i have to say is wow...if that were true.

but if those numbers are accurate they are probably HP realized at the crank but even if so the headers would be one of the best bangs for the buck

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will let you guys know as soon as I get it installed (hopefully sometime next week depending on fedex and when Jayden will send it out). I cant get numbers for you since I dont know how I would be able to calculate that.

Jim

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
jimsbmw said:
Will let you guys know as soon as I get it installed (hopefully sometime next week depending on fedex and when Jayden will send it out). I cant get numbers for you since I dont know how I would be able to calculate that.

Jim
Jim, You should try it at the race track :p

mushutofu said:
+35 Hp/torque all i have to say is wow...if that were true.
but if those numbers are accurate they are probably HP realized at the crank but even if so the headers would be one of the best bangs for the buck
Agreed, gaining +35hp is quite alot and if this is true, why all manufactures not going for this 2 components? they are all street legal...

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I do runs with the other fx at the meet in Taiwan in November to see how it does.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
phamgiaj said:
Agreed, gaining +35hp is quite alot and if this is true, why all manufactures not going for this 2 components? they are all street legal...
Noise levels? If it's too loud then it wouldn't be an Infiniti, right? :p

Jim, as you can see there are a couple of guys REALLY interested in what you find out. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course will keep everyone posted. I am back in Taiwan now but no work tomorrow so will see when all the parts will get in. will try to give jayden a call monday morning (US time) to see if my parts have been shipped. I cant wait either, since its not cheap I want to know that I am getting my moneys worth.

Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do yourself a favor and have them coated once you get them. You only need to coat the outside of the header. It shouldn't cost more than a $100 US.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what am am I suppose to coat it with? Not sure what you mean.

Jim

·
Registered
882 Posts
jet hot coating

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok will ask around taiwan who can get that done for me.

Thanks

jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
Jet Hot has only 2 facilities in the US. I doubt they're in Taiwan.

Your best bet is to call up several race shops and just ask them who does their ceramic coating. That's what I did and found a place locally, and they charged 50% less than Jet Hot or Swain.

Just make sure they have some kind of warranty against peeling. If the job isn't done right, the coating will flake or peel off within a month. It's all in the prep work, not in the actual coating chemistry as many companies would like to claim.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
If you Jet Hot coat the SS headers, they won't be nearly as pretty. :(

·
Registered
471 Posts
That depends on your definition of "pretty".

First, you'd have to really look deep and hard to notice the header.

Second, after a few heat cycles, those polished SS headers will turn a goldish purple color. If you left finger prints on the header surface during the install, those prints will be forever stained in a lovely dark brown color.

After several more heat cycles, especially if you go to WOT throttle often, those headers will turn a wonderful brown color.

So, if you're planning to buy a set of headers to use as a center table piece, get the polished SS.

If you're planning to actually use them, get them ceramic coated. Your engine, electrical system, drivetrain, and paint will thank you.

·
Registered
338 Posts
mhgsx said:
That depends on your definition of "pretty".

First, you'd have to really look deep and hard to notice the header.

Second, after a few heat cycles, those polished SS headers will turn a goldish purple color. If you left finger prints on the header surface during the install, those prints will be forever stained in a lovely dark brown color.

After several more heat cycles, especially if you go to WOT throttle often, those headers will turn a wonderful brown color.

So, if you're planning to buy a set of headers to use as a center table piece, get the polished SS.

If you're planning to actually use them, get them ceramic coated. Your engine, electrical system, drivetrain, and paint will thank you.
I fully agree with you on that. It is better to get them coated unless you are not going to drive the FX after your install. I hope you didn't think the Bling was going to be there after you did some runs with it. :roll:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts