Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Firstly, thanks to the HFXA gang for the great time yesterday over at Dave's house. There was nothing missing at this meet - hot weather, light sprinkles, margaritas, "Don Julio" shots, water v-ball, and the mods. :D Thanks to MGFR for help on the install. 8) I installed a third clamp this morning so that both ends of the silicone coupler were tied down (see pic).

Anyway to the point. Received the Stillen CAI/Z-tube from Curtis over at http://www.nissanparts4less.com yesterday as part of the $380 Stillen CAI/Ztube/STB combo (the STB will come next week). I purchased the parts necessary for the "Sincity Mod" as described elsewhere on this forum from eBay. This consists of a 3.5" long aluminum tube (3" OD) and an HTS silicone coupler. I also purchased 4 M6 x 20mm allen bolts needed to connect the Stillen CAI "shroud to the MAF section because the stock Infiniti bolts are too short.

Install consisted of taking out the stock intake tube and replacing it with the Ztube, connecting the aluminum tube/coupler to the end of the Ztube, connecting the MAF section to the Stillen CAI using the new M6 x 20mm allen bolts, and connecting the other side of the aluminum/silicone to the MAF section as you can see on the pics. The Stillen CAI did need to be cut to fit the OEM PowerDuct opening (I don't know some others did not need to do this - this was a brand-new CAI).

Here are the G-Tech numbers before and after Stillen. Temperatures were in the high 90's (92-98 according to computer) and relative humidity was around 90-95% during the runs. The weather was definitely hotter than our August meet and around the same as our July meet (but probably more humid yesterday). G-Tech runs were performed by myself in Auto mode from a dead stop.

Stock 0-60 numbers (VDC and AC off) :

Run #1 - 7.47
Run #2 - 7.39
Run #3 - 7.44
Run #4 - 7.37
Run #5 - 7.33
Run #6 - 7.42

Average (minus high and low) = 7.41 secs

For grins I also did some runs with AC off and VDC on just to see:

Run #1 - 7.74
Run #2 - 7.64
Run #3 - 7.57

Looks like VDC does effect performance...

Also compared to my stock numbers from 7/31/2004 - roughly the same ambient temperature and humidity but before the 2-degree timing advance in addition to different driver and shifting method.

Stock FX35 AWD (1/3 tank)
1. 7.62
2. 7.69
3. 7.61
4. 7.76 (shifted a split-second early)
5. 7.68 (auto)
ave good manual runs = 7.64 sec 0-60

Hmmm...looks like the 2-degree timing advance helps (.2 secs avg. faster). This is similar to the differences that MGFR got.

Stillen CAI/Z-tube/Sincity Mod (VDC and AC off):

Run #1 - 7.46
Run #2 - 7.31
Run #3 - 7.31
Run #4 - 7.31
Run #5 - 7.38
Run #6 - 7.31

Average (minus high and low) = 7.33 secs

I got more consistent times as well as an average of 0.08 secs faster on my 0-60 times with the Stillen CAI. Is this really that significant? Who knows? IMO, it just proves a new intake doesn't really do much for you in and by itself. The consistency of the numbers with the Stillen vs. stock is pretty interesting though...

Subjective differences after the Stillen CAI installation are higher noise levels, especially at WOT (which sounds better IMO) and improved throttle response (subtle but there).

There you go. Let the discussions begin! :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Clean under that hood man.............

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GEAUX said:
Clean under that hood man.............
Yeah yeah yeah...it's been neglected a bit. Wonder if Zaino will work? :p

Oh...one more thing. One of the engine cover bolts broke in half so it's a bit loose in one corner. What's up wit that??

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
GeoFX said:
Oh...one more thing. One of the engine cover bolts broke in half so it's a bit loose in one corner. What's up wit that??
Ahem, yes, well... super-strength and all, you know... :oops: Apparently those bolts are Aluminum, not steel. Nothing a drill, a hole tap and a replacement bolt won't fix. I have a die and tap set at work; I'll have to check it to see if it's metric. Can't believe I didn't catch that another clamp was needed as well...

OK, guys, next time, none of this until AFTER I'm done installing mods:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
^ FX coaster ^ - even with stock plenum, don't look half bad w/o heat hat, errr engine cover. (cups match the sincity mod) center air scoop comes in handy too!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks great Geo and thanks for the credit!

For kicks, I replaced my stock airbox with Z-Tube and the buttometer tells me it feels a "tad" slower since it doesn't seem to want to rev as much from 4k up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think....

I think that the ambient conditions really do affect your performance numbers a great deal. I noticed when the temps are around 70*F or less, the performance of our FX's are increased somewhat. Looking at those results, in my opinion, would hender me on going with CAI. I think your test should be performed later when the temps decrease and then you can compare those numbers to the numbers from your first meet. I know that there is a difference after the mods we have done, and I am especially convinced now more due to the cooler air conditions.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
GeoFX said:
Ahem, yes, well... super-strength and all, you know... :oops: Apparently those bolts are Aluminum, not steel. Nothing a drill, a hole tap and a replacement bolt won't fix. I have a die and tap set at work; I'll have to check it to see if it's metric. Can't believe I didn't catch that another clamp was needed as well...

OK, guys, next time, none of this until AFTER I'm done installing mods:
Being SUPERMAN and all, it does not surprise me that we broke only one bolt. Of course, at least this time we did put ALL of the bolts back in. :lol: Margaritas.............

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. Temperature and to a greater extent, relative humidity, play more significant roles w/r/t performance vs. any bolt-on mod such as a CAI, IMO. Compare yesterday's stock AWD results with those from our August meet.

Stock 0-60 numbers - 9/18/2004 (VDC and AC off, auto). 92-96 degrees, humidity 90-95% :

Run #1 - 7.47
Run #2 - 7.39
Run #3 - 7.44
Run #4 - 7.37
Run #5 - 7.33
Run #6 - 7.42

Average (minus high and low) = 7.41 secs

Stock 0-60 numbers - 8/12/2004 (VDC and AC off, manual): High 89 degrees. Humidity 37% ( both from weather.com).

1. 7.03
2. 7.10
3. 7.10
4. 7.11
ave 0-60 = 7.09 secs

These numbers were taken after I had my two-degree timing advance. Same G-tech meter and road. The differences were a different driver (MGFR in August) and shifting method (Auto vs. Manual).

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yup, from runs at 70 deg to runs at 90 deg, I lose half a second in 0-60. These babies LOVE cold air; can't wait for late Oct. 8)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Reading the result from GeoFX launching the car with VDC off give me a second thought, I just went back and carefully read the FX's brochure page 36 and Owner's manual page 5-47 it says".....by selecting braking individual wheels and/or REDUCING ENGINE OUTPUT". Guys, if this is true (numbers don't lie) then we just hit a jackpot, a new technic is born. Tomorrow, I'll launch/test it with a power brake and the VDC off just to see/feel or detect anything diff. I don't have G-Tech so I won't have any numbers but I think it will shave off some time.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
phamgiaj said:
Reading the result from GeoFX launching the car with VDC off give me a second thought, I just went back and carefully read the FX's brochure page 36 and Owner's manual page 5-47 it says".....by selecting braking individual wheels and/or REDUCING ENGINE OUTPUT". Guys, if this is true (numbers don't lie) then we just hit a jackpot, a new technic is born. Tomorrow, I'll launch/test it with a power brake and the VDC off just to see/feel or detect anything diff. I don't have G-Tech so I won't have any numbers but I think it will shave off some time.
It will if there is any slippage, but not otherwise; the VDC will not interfere unless slipage is detected. I went over this with Milt before he went out to do the runs and I ALWAYS make runs (inc. all I've ever done at the meets) with VDC off. If there is any wheelspin at launch, it'll shut you down quick and your times will suck.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
OK this just came in,
- With Power Brake, VDC off, tires were spin at about .4 sec but RPM was very slightly dropped from 2800 RPM down 100 to 200 RPM then immidiately rev'd up from there.
- With Power Brake, VDC on/engaged, tires were also spin at about .3 sec but RPM dramatically dropped down to 2000 RPM then it picked up from there.
Well, without the numbers there will be no promises but this is something that I will definately apply next time I'm at the light.
MustGoFasTer/Steve, you have a G-tech unit can you come up with some numbers?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
phamgiaj said:
OK this just came in,
- With Power Brake, VDC off, tires were spin at about .4 sec but RPM was very slightly dropped from 2800 RPM down 100 to 200 RPM then immidiately rev'd up from there.
- With Power Brake, VDC on/engaged, tires were also spin at about .3 sec but RPM dramatically dropped down to 2000 RPM then it picked up from there.
Well, without the numbers there will be no promises but this is something that I will definately apply next time I'm at the light.
MustGoFasTer/Steve, you have a G-tech unit can you come up with some numbers?
Sounds like a good example of the VDC kicking in and cutting power to regain grip vs. without VDC. Trust me, you'll be quicker with it off. I don't plan on doing any more G-tech runs until it gets cooler or I add more go-fast mods (don't like to peel these expensive tires any more than neccessary), but since you're nearby, you're welcome to pop by and borrow it any time you like. Just PM me if you wnat to.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
phamgiaj and I did a drag race with my AWD FX35 with Stillen CAI/Ztube/timing advance vs. his bone stock RWD FX35. Both of us were in auto mode starting from a dead stop (no power braking, VDC and AC off). Gave me a little head start and still couldn't catch up to me from 0-80mph before I let go of the gas.

Guess the mods may compensate for the AWD's extra 175lbs of heft...at lease in real-world applications 8) Feel like racing one o' these days, MGFR? :p Interested to know whether you can catch up with your mods...

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
particlefx said:
You say he didn't catch up by 80 mph, but was he gaining on you? How much head start did you have anyway?

If you race MGFR, I know where I'll be puting my money. ::wink:
I'd say it was roughly a 0.5 sec head start (about 1/2 car length). The gap didn't close at all by 80 mph before I let go of the gas.

According to our HFXA 0-60 numbers, a bone-stock RWD still has faster numbers than AWD with my set of mods (since we concluded that intakes don't do a whole lot w/r/t 0-60 performance - my 0-60 numbers from our September meet before and after the Stillen CAI/Ztube install proved this).

Numbers from our 8/14/2004 meet:

Dave's RWD back to stock:
1. 6.59
2. 6.61
3. 6.62
4. 6.63
ave 0-60 = 6.61

GeoFX's AWD stock (with 2-degree timing advance):
1. 7.03
2. 7.10
3. 7.10
4. 7.11
ave 0-60 = 7.09

I'm just wondering if MGFR's more modded car (with plenum and UR pulley) will fare better than phamgiaj's in this "real-world" application. BTW, phamgiaj pulled away from me when he used power-braking and manual shifting (I was still in auto).

·
Registered
848 Posts
Geo...Have you gone up against any other 35s head-to-head, and how did you do? I'm only curious because of the problems you've mentioned with your fuel mileage.

I don't know about the 35, but I'm certain that the 45 would benifit from a CAI. The day we spent at MD int. Raceway, showed that a ten degree temp rise had a significant affect (more than a quarter sec.) on our times.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I agree with GeoFX

I'm glad that GeoFX and I did have the oppotunity to race side by side many times and in many diff. technics, it was a great experiment. It's true, with my VDC off and with power brake launched, I definately pulled off pretty hard at any stage/speed but when we both launched with same technic as he stated above, my RWD did not gain an inch till he let go the gas at the speed of 80. Our next experiment/this coming Friday is to race his AWD VS the 45 to see how hard the V8 will pull off.
Special thanks to our own runway the HFXA street. :p

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FromHereToInfiniti said:
Geo...Have you gone up against any other 35s head-to-head, and how did you do? I'm only curious because of the problems you've mentioned with your fuel mileage.

I don't know about the 35, but I'm certain that the 45 would benifit from a CAI. The day we spent at MD int. Raceway, showed that a ten degree temp rise had a significant affect (more than a quarter sec.) on our times.
Nope. Just phamgiaj's RWD 35 yesterday. My fellow HFXA members get around 17-18 mpg mixed driving but all of them have RWD FXs. Kinda rare to find a AWD FX35 here in Houston to compare against...

Yep, the weather certainly plays a significant role. Relative humidity plays an even greater role than temperature in affecting performance (check out our HFXA numbers from 8/2004 and 9/2004).

phamgiaj said:
Our next experiment/this coming Friday is to race his AWD VS the 45 to see how hard the V8 will pull off.
The results of this experiment will definitely impact my decision on whether trading up to the 45 is worth taking the "bath." :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts