Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 fx35 it rides and drives great but the only issue is the steering wheel shakes when I hit about 65 mph any idea what that could be???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possibly you have a bad tire. Or u-joints have failed in front drive shaft. :unsure:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Could also be any of the following:
Tires not balanced
Warped wheel
Inner or outer tie rods
Sway bar link
wheel bearing

Basically, you need to check each item and rule them out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When your steering wheel starts to shake at ~40MPH and gets progressively worse up to ~60MPH... and at faster speeds the shake diminishes slightly (sometimes); then this is a classic tire balance problem.

A) I would go to Sam's Club or Costco and let them re-balance it for $5/tire.

B) You can always rotate the front tires to the rear and see if that helps, but it's not the best way to deal with a out of balance tire. However, it is the best way to deal with a bent rim if that is your problem. I.e., butting the problem wheel on the rear may reduce or eliminate your steering wheel shake.

C) I personally think the best way to balance a tire is to use 9 oz of this "Equal" tire balancing beads. Just buy 3 (12oz) bags, which will give you 36 oz total; and then put 9 oz in each tire. Note: You only need 6-9oz for a car size tire. 12 oz is for a tire with more volume and our FX tire is not that tall. ...And with these "Equal" tire balancing beads, you never need to rebalance your tires again.

D) If the above procedures don't fix your problem, then you need to start looking at worn suspension parts. Note: It doesn't cost anything to go to Midas and have them inspect your suspension.

OP: How many miles do you have on your car? And do your steering "bounce" or drift on a bumpy road?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 06 fx35 it rides and drives great but the only issue is the steering wheel shakes when I hit about 65 mph any idea what that could be???
Start with tire balance at Costco, or whatever is convenient for you. This is a simple issue until it is not. Don't rush into buying a bunch of snake oil solutions. If they can't balance, they will isolate the problem. And when it's time to buy tires, don't be cheap. Buy Michelin or Bridgestone. They outlast everything, depending on how sane you drive. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When your steering wheel starts to shake at ~40MPH and gets progressively worse up to ~60MPH... and at faster speeds the shake diminishes slightly (sometimes); then this is a classic tire balance problem.

A) I would go to Sam's Club or Costco and let them re-balance it for $5/tire.

B) You can always rotate the front tires to the rear and see if that helps, but it's not the best way to deal with a out of balance tire. However, it is the best way to deal with a bent rim if that is your problem. I.e., butting the problem wheel on the rear may reduce or eliminate your steering wheel shake.

C) I personally think the best way to balance a tire is to use 9 oz of this "Equal" tire balancing beads. Just buy 3 (12oz) bags, which will give you 36 oz total; and then put 9 oz in each tire. Note: You only need 6-9oz for a car size tire. 12 oz is for a tire with more volume and our FX tire is not that tall. ...And with these "Equal" tire balancing beads, you never need to rebalance your tires again.

D) If the above procedures don't fix your problem, then you need to start looking at worn suspension parts. Note: It doesn't cost anything to go to Midas and have them inspect your suspension.

OP: How many miles do you have on your car? And do your steering "bounce" or drift on a bumpy road?
The car rides and drives fine I went to the Nissan dealership today to have to tires rotated and oil changed the shaking isn’t as bad but you can still tell it’s there a little

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is the shake the same? ...At the same speeds?

When you rotate the tires to the rear, and you still get shakes at 40MPH, you may have a wheel that got bent. Of course the tire balancer crew does not seem to look for this concern unless you tell them to look for it before you balance your tires.

Note: Shops have different quality tire balancers and of course the operator is another factor. So at this point, all you can do is spend $5/tire and take your car to Sam's Club or Costco and let them re-balance to see if there is any difference; and this time you can tell them to look for a wobble in the wheel... and to put that one on the back.

...or you can get some Equal tire beads and then throw those into the tire and that's probably your best solution. Plus you never need to re-balance your tires again in the future. Note: I used Equal in my RV tires and swear by the ride and those tires cost me $700 each! I also would not hesitate to use Equal in my car.

HOW MUCH LIFE DO YOU HAVE LEFT ON YOUR TIRES? ...This may weigh on your decision on what to do next.

Once you are sure you don't have a tire balance problem, and once you are sure you do NOT have any lower control arm slop, then here's a few more tips:

* Use a one shampoo pump or turkey baster to remove fluid from your power steering reservoir; and replace it with some Lucas Power Steering Fluid with conditioners. (Use Lucas PS Fix if you have any leaks.) Start your car for 30 seconds and turn off. Then remove more fluid from the reservoir and refill with the remaining Lucas fluid. Then drive for 3 days and see if you have any change.

IF YOU STEERING "JUMPS" WHEN DRIVING OVER MULTIPLE BUMPS IN THE ROAD

* Time to change your sway bar links and bushings.

* Then move on to changing your Steering Rack Bushings.... and probably your rod ends. Note: These parts are not that expensive, but you will need an alignment when it's all over. ...And I don't like paying for alignments if my tires are old. So how much you spend is up to you.

* If your car has 125,000 miles or more, then I would also change out the front lower control arms, rear sway bar links, and rear shocks. Note: Don't let a mechanic tell you your rear shocks are okay just because they are not leaking. I.e., if your steering is jumping it could be due to your rear shocks being "rock hard." ...And I found my front sway bar bushing hard and not working right. And after I replaced all these things, my 2004 FX45 is now riding like new!

TIP: For free you can tighten your steering rack and pinion "play" by ~3 degrees. Just turn that large nut next to your 2 steering rack bushings by just a little! ...And this may take the free-play out of your steering wheel!!! (Worked for me!)

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's a thread on the parts I replaced to fix the "Hard Ride" I was tired of fighting. And like my mechanic said: "Every little bit helps!" ...How far your go is up to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts