Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
6t8stang said:
I'm working the same issue here as well - also an AWD. Started about 1000 miles after getting the Spec-X's installed. Had the tires balance twice since (at the same place) and both times were out of balance. I opened a case with Yokohama and have the tire place talking to them for next steps.
I doubt it is the tires (possible, but doubtful). The Spec-X is a respected tire and no one has really reported any problems with them on the FX. I bought a brand new set of tires after thinking my Toyos were the culprit only to be proven wrong. Luckily I kept the Toyos and can utilize them to some degree if/when I figure out the cause of my shimmy. I am betting your installer just does not know how to balance, or did not properly prep the wheel surface for the stick-on weights and they ended up falling off (this seems to happen to me every time I have a balance)...sometimes you can hear it, like a rock being thrown around in the wheel well.

A wheel shimmy with no known cause seems to be an increasing complaint among FX owners. Some do have balance issues whereas others have never found the cause or it took months to finally track it down (such as one owner finally had a mechanic realize a washer was missing from the steering rack).

·
Registered
48 Posts
GJBenn85 said:
The Spec-X is a respected tire and no one has really reported any problems with them on the FX.
I thought it was a good tire too - that's why I choose them. But if you look at all the people having vibration issues over the last year or so, almost all are Spec-X's...

Both times I returned for rebalancing I watched the same tech do his work. He used spray cleaner and sometimes a high speed buffer pad to prep the surface for the weights. I also saw the machine confirm it was balanced after applying the weights. Either their machine is inconsistent or the tires are a bad batch or just plain crap. I can see a weight being thrown once or twice on a wheel or two, but the last time 3 out of 4 were out of balance. He also paid close attention to be on the lookout for a bent wheel. Also, less than a mile down the road I still felt the vibration. So I still have a hard time agreeing it's something else (bearing, tie rod, etc) when the balance keeps going out.

I wish I knew another FXer close by willing to swap wheels/tires for a spin around the block...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I took my FX to another tire store today and there I was told that the Yokohamas have many low spots, that's why the steering wheel vibrates and they checked everything else, bearings, rods etc.. Cost me $90 and they suggested I swap it for a michelin as that is the recommended tires... $600 more that i dont want to spend

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
nevrmind559 said:
I took my FX to another tire store today and there I was told that the Yokohamas have many low spots, that's why the steering wheel vibrates and they checked everything else, bearings, rods etc.. Cost me $90 and they suggested I swap it for a michelin as that is the recommended tires... $600 more that i dont want to spend
Gee, do they happen to sell Michelins? Flat spots generally "work out" after driving a few miles and the tires warm up, they should not cause a continuous vibration (shimmy) but rather a "bump" that is an up/down sensation. Flat spots also cause a "bumping" at all speeds, not just highway speeds. You can literally feel flat spots at 20 mph.

Possible the tires are out-of-round but that is not flat spotting.

I also do not think this would explain why a vibration exists one second and disappears the next, only to reappear.

I would not be too quick to replace the tires. I was and it ended up being a waste of money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
noodlelegs said:
Hmm. Right after I got the wheels rebalanced, everything seemed fine. Now today, the steering wheel shaking is back. What the h.
SO, is the issue solved for you noodlelegs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
noodlelegs said:
i have a 2005 awd fx35 with brand new 265/50/20 yokohama parada spec x's, and i have the exact same problem. shaking steering wheel is worst between 60 and 70, and sometimes it goes away, but then it comes back again. at first i thought it was road related but it does it on perfectly smooth roads and bumpy roads. going in to get it rebalanced today.
Same problem here! 05 fx35 awd with the same tires~! Please let us know if you can fix it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
We've also had this problem with our 03. The problem never happened with the RSAs, but we never had to balance them either. 2nd set were Toyo's-shook like **** and were noisy too. We exchanged these for the Pradas and were very happy with the noise and ride, but the shakes came a few weeks later. Thinking this was a balance issue, we had the shop balance twice, then went to another shop in their chain and they were MUCH better about the balancing. We still have to rebalance every 6-8 months, which is odd as we ran the RSAs for four years with no issues. Apparently some shops have a very tough time balancing 20s, and some cant balance them at all. I just drove the 03 last week and its time to balance again. :evil: Does Michelin finally make a tire to fit the OEM wheel?? I'd be all over that if they did (they didn't use to...) the Michelins we put on our Durango are FAR better than anything we've ever had on that vehicle.

I think the ultimate solution for us is a set of 21s and the tires we have on the 50. That setup rocks...

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Taking my car to the shop that always did a good balance on my FX35. Also going to have them inspect tie-rods and anything else related to steering. Crossing my fingers!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been playing with different tires - Yoko Paradas, Hankook Ventus, Toyo Proxes - all were shaking on these 20' rims due to flat spots. balance was good, no other mechanical issues. When you start of in the morning tires have flat spots that go away after 10 minutes of highway driving. On the colder mornings it is worse. In the summer the problem is non-existent. But I find that the problem goes away after some highway driving. The fact that some of you leave warm garage after your tire balancing and everyhting is fine on the way home and you see it shake next day maybe due to flat spots. Take it for a longer highway ride and see if it goes away. If so - switch to the softer tire. For the winter I put a set of stock 18s with some Blizzacks on - never any shaking issues with these. I tried a new set of Goodyear Eagles that come stock - much better ride quality, too bad they don't last.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
nevrmind559 said:
Hi Guys,
Just bought a CPO 2007 fx35 a few weeks back and been having this problem constantly-Steering Wheel shakes and Vibrates while driving above 60mp , I changed tires to Yoko and supposedly the dealer roadforced balance it twice and also balanced it at discount tire store 4 times. Rotors have been resurfaced and front brakes replaced as well. Also I have noticed it does it more on some roads than others....The car has 20K miles on her, I have read through a few posts here, please advise if you guys have any insight on the vibration and shaking of the steering wheels as It is driving me nuts....
Thanks
Well it seems that the problem of vibration has been pretty much fixed by swapping to michelin tires.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Well, took my car to another shop I have used a few times before. They wrote down the value of the weights on each wheel and then rebalanced. It was absolutely ridiculous how far off balance my wheels were. It took me SEVEN balances to get to a point where it seems my vibration is 95% gone, and I think any residual vibration is caused by the wide tires catching road imperfections. The shop was astonished at how two other shops could not get the balance right after six attempts, and they all use the same machine! :roll:

That said, this car is by far the most sensitive to imperfect balances of any car I have been around.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
we have a very large overall diameter wheel, & the larger the wheel the more sensitive it'll be to imperfections in roundness & balance... I had an m35 in the shop & I had to send 2 wheels out to be reconditioned, but of course only had one spare from the m, so I decided to throw my fx spare on it for a day to keep it mobile... when you see the difference in a situation like this it's friggin huge, our spare actually was touching the front of the rear rocker until the jack was dropped, & even then it was a very tight fit & a very big difference in diameter... an average car is going to be what, 26, maybe 27" diameter, were at 30.5.... problems are amplified by the larger the overall diameter

·
Registered
80 Posts
08 FX35 AWD here. I too noticed vibration in my steering wheel this past summer. It would begin at around 65 MPH. It came and went, so I let it slide. A few weeks ago, I heard a metallic sound from the driver side front wheel and the steering wheel retract motor was vibrating. Since I was at 23,000 miles, I took it in for a checkup and oil change. Seems that the front driver's side brake caliper had frozen and the brake pad was worn to the metal. Long story short: the dealer replaced both front calipers & brake pads, plus retooled the discs - all covered under warranty. Also replaced the steering wheel motor (n/c as well), and spin balanced the front tires. The shimmy is gone and the brakes respond as like new.

My dealer's been great - the FX was in the shop for 5 days (had to order parts), so I got to drive a G35X loaner - nice drive, runs like a race car ;-).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 2006, M35X. My wheel vibrates only between 61-80MPH. It also veers to the right, which it has always done, when I brake. The dealership told me it was a defect in this model. I have had my wheels rotated, checked, balanced. Now they want to look into the driveshaft. I am wondering whether it is worth the expense. Or can it be an easy fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All - Same Issues - Looking for any help I can get

I am suffering from the same issues. I have a bone stock 2004 FX35 AWD with 170k miles, standard 18" wheels with fairly new Firestone Destination LE2 tires. Yeah, I know my miles are high, but I have had no strut/shock issues, and Infiniti says my suspension looks great, with no worn out components. Steering wheel vibrates around 70-75 mph and pulls slightly to the right, even after multiple alignments and balances. Tires appear to be wearing evenly.

I specifically asked Infiniti to check tie rod ends and bushings, and they said everything looked fine. Said I had one of the cleanest first-Gen FXs they had seen. Trying to get this fixed so the wife doesn't push to sell it. She is the primary driver, and says it takes away from enjoying the vehicle.

I previously ran BF Goodrich Radial T/As, and they were great. Could it be a tire issue at such a specific speed range?

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
You could rotate the tires front to back and see if the vibration changes from steering to the floor/pedals. I know when you have a sidewall problem you get a lot of vibration at speed but I think Infiniti would have noticed it when they were looking at the vehicle.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts