Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Just bought a CPO 2007 fx35 a few weeks back and been having this problem constantly-Steering Wheel shakes and Vibrates while driving above 60mp , I changed tires to Yoko and supposedly the dealer roadforced balance it twice and also balanced it at discount tire store 4 times. Rotors have been resurfaced and front brakes replaced as well. Also I have noticed it does it more on some roads than others....The car has 20K miles on her, I have read through a few posts here, please advise if you guys have any insight on the vibration and shaking of the steering wheels as It is driving me nuts....
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Initially, I would say that it sounds like you are having the same problems as this member ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22573.

I would think rebalancing is the issue, but if its already been roadforce balanced twice and balanced 6 times in total and the problem persists, then it has to be something else. Perhaps a wheel was bent and never fixed correctly, or perhaps there is something loose with the steering components. Do you know if the problem is better, worse or the same if you swap the front tires to the rear and rears to the front?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
yeah, I'd say first thing is put a set of wheels on it from a known good riding fx... if it's still there then start replacing stuff... rotors first...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine started shaking vibration after the Yoko tires were installed. I have to take to nissan dealer to rebalance them. It was fine with my OEM tires(bridgestone potenza), but now i notice steering wheel shakes. it is annoying sometimes and also i notice only on some roads.

its doesn't vibrate while applying the brakes. just driving over 80 to 100km.

·
Registered
470 Posts
on going problem sometimes it is the road for me, might be the tie rods inner or outer I take a look to see if everything is nice and tight or check the steering. there are a few members who has had the problem dont know if they fixed it or just gotten use to it.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Welcome to the club, my FX45 has done this for over a year. Two sets of tires, six balances, several rotations, new front rotors (replaced for an unrelated issue), and my dealer is now just taking the easy route and blaming the tires. BS, and I am getting pissed! My FX is no fun to drive at higher speeds. Even more frustrating is that it is intermittent and the steering can be perfectly smooth one second and then wobbling the next on the same road and at the same speed. The steering also sometimes feels like it is "grinding," though this really only occurs at very slow speeds or sitting still and turning the wheel. The vibration is absolutely the worst at 60-68 mph, better above 70 and below 60 (though still present). Wheel balance seems logical but I think it is safe to conclude that after six balances and not finding any bent rims (the steering vibrates even with rotating wheels front to back), it is NOT balance related.

I might just bend over, open up my wallet, and take it to an independent shop for them to inspect anything having to do with the front wheels. I keep hoping it is a tie-rod but I could find no indication of them being bad.

Does your FX35 happen to be AWD? Just curious, it seems a lot of the FX owners complaining of this problem happen to have AWD...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think one of your front wheels is slightly bent

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have a 2005 awd fx35 with brand new 265/50/20 yokohama parada spec x's, and i have the exact same problem. shaking steering wheel is worst between 60 and 70, and sometimes it goes away, but then it comes back again. at first i thought it was road related but it does it on perfectly smooth roads and bumpy roads. going in to get it rebalanced today.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I have the same problem with the steering wheel shake:
http://www.infinitifx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21988

It is high irritating. I love my FX but I am beginning to lose my patience. I also had the problem with the dash bubbling. So I decided to put the sun-shade up so I would help the issue. When I was taking down the sun-shade it ripped off piece of my dashboard. After a few months back and forth with the dealership I got my dash replaced. Picked it up this morning. Dash looks great but it have tons of greasy fingerprints all over the place. Joy!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
GJBenn85 said:
Welcome to the club, my FX45 has done this for over a year. Two sets of tires, six balances, several rotations, new front rotors (replaced for an unrelated issue), and my dealer is now just taking the easy route and blaming the tires. BS, and I am getting pissed! My FX is no fun to drive at higher speeds. Even more frustrating is that it is intermittent and the steering can be perfectly smooth one second and then wobbling the next on the same road and at the same speed. The steering also sometimes feels like it is "grinding," though this really only occurs at very slow speeds or sitting still and turning the wheel. The vibration is absolutely the worst at 60-68 mph, better above 70 and below 60 (though still present). Wheel balance seems logical but I think it is safe to conclude that after six balances and not finding any bent rims (the steering vibrates even with rotating wheels front to back), it is NOT balance related.

I might just bend over, open up my wallet, and take it to an independent shop for them to inspect anything having to do with the front wheels. I keep hoping it is a tie-rod but I could find no indication of them being bad.

Does your FX35 happen to be AWD? Just curious, it seems a lot of the FX owners complaining of this problem happen to have AWD...
I have the EXACT SAME ISSUE!

The only other thing I have heard from my mechanic friend is that there are different types of balance machines. If your shop is using an older machine it may not be able to handle the size of the tire. Sure the machine will zero out (balanced) but they arent actually balanced correctly. This means no matter how many times they're balanced they wont be perfect. Im going to a specialty shop with a new high end balancer to see if they can address the problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
noodlelegs said:
i have a 2005 awd fx35 with brand new 265/50/20 yokohama parada spec x's, and i have the exact same problem. shaking steering wheel is worst between 60 and 70, and sometimes it goes away, but then it comes back again. at first i thought it was road related but it does it on perfectly smooth roads and bumpy roads. going in to get it rebalanced today.
Just an update... I got my wheels rebalanced and it fixed the problem. They just didn't do it right the first time. I do not think they did the road force balance either time... just a regular balance, but they did say that it is a brand new balancing machine.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
I am going to take my car to an independent shop I used to use for tire work because I have never had a problem with their balances, though they do a hack job to rims when installing tires. I will also have them inspect my tie-rods and anything else that could be a possibility. I just do not see how 6 balances (from two shops, each time the "balance was off" :roll: ) could be wrong nor can I comprehend how the steering can occasionally be perfectly smooth and shimmy free at higher speeds only to begin shimmying without any change in speed or road surface.

Interestingly, I just had an alignment and only my front left wheel was out of spec. I know a bad tie-rod can cause alignment to go out, so I wonder if that really is the issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm working the same issue here as well - also an AWD. Started about 1000 miles after getting the Spec-X's installed. Had the tires balance twice since (at the same place) and both times were out of balance. I opened a case with Yokohama and have the tire place talking to them for next steps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmm. Right after I got the wheels rebalanced, everything seemed fine. Now today, the steering wheel shaking is back. What the h.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Maybe the stick on weights they put on fell off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
noodlelegs said:
noodlelegs said:
Just an update... I got my wheels rebalanced and it fixed the problem. They just didn't do it right the first time. I do not think they did the road force balance either time... just a regular balance, but they did say that it is a brand new balancing machine.
So, is the vibration gone now for you Jr.Fxer or is it back?? BTW mine is a RWD fx35, also i did ask the dealer if any rims were bent and they said noo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GixxerSteve said:
Initially, I would say that it sounds like you are having the same problems as this member ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22573.

I would think rebalancing is the issue, but if its already been roadforce balanced twice and balanced 6 times in total and the problem persists, then it has to be something else. Perhaps a wheel was bent and never fixed correctly, or perhaps there is something loose with the steering components. Do you know if the problem is better, worse or the same if you swap the front tires to the rear and rears to the front?
Well am going to take it to another independent store and have it roadforced balance again and swap the front and back wheels and see what happens...

·
Registered
147 Posts
take it somewhere else to get balanced.
tire techs balance thousands of tires a month. from my experience, about 85% of them are real sloppy about it and sometimes don't even align the wheel properly on the machine and smack the weights on the rim and go (discount is notorious for this). i've been back to discount six times before they finally got it right.
several times, i've seen some not even rebalance after applying the weight to check their work.
find a low volume shop to do it. most high volume shops have time constraints that don't allow them to do the right job.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts