Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This easy a very easy DIY.

Takes about 15-20 minutes and all you need is: 14mm socket and a big allen wrench.

Here is what you get in STB.

(hint: believe it or not, to get the sticky off of the STB clean with rubber re-storer)

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The left and right side before the install.

Un-screw the 3 nuts from the bolts on each side.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After the nuts are taken off.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was not sure what to do with he black metal ring on the FX since the directions from Stillen did not say to use it or not.

The first one shows how it DOES NOT fit under the new bracket.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I decided to put the black ring on top of the new bracket.

So far, no problems doing it this way. You might choose to leave the oem off, it is your choice.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put nuts back on the bolts and just finger tighten.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time to set the bar in the brackets. This is a bit tricky, being careful not to wack your car.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Attach the new bolts onto the STB.

Only finger tighten the new bolts so you can wiggle the bar into place.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now tighten the bolts on the STB and then tighten the nuts on the brackets.

Enjoy :D

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was skeptical at first on doing this mod, I really was not sure if it would make a big enough difference to noitice.

So, the first week of driving around town I did not notice much of a change. Maybe a little but nothing like my other mods.

Then I took her out on the road and that is where I finally noticed a difference. There is a patch of dips (like 5 in a row) on the highway (75 mph posted) and I didn't even realize we went over them. And then going back up in the mountains on the curves doing like 65 or so and the FX gripped the road like glue.

I will have to say "no regrets and very happy."

Dawn

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
Then I took her out on the road and that is where I finally noticed a difference. There is a patch of dips (like 5 in a row) on the highway (75 mph posted) and I didn't even realize we went over them. And then going back up in the mountains on the curves doing like 65 or so and the FX gripped the road like glue.

I will have to say "no regrets and very happy."

Dawn
this is what i am noticing. at first i didnt feel much of a difference, but now i am noticing that going around hard turns where the road dips and comes back up, the body does not bounce around like it used to.

·
Registered
498 Posts
FYI OE Specs are 35 ft/lbs for the strut tower nuts and Stillen recommends hand tightening for the through bolts on the bar itself which is around 20-25 ft/lbs.

Edited for correct torque specs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the directions....will this STB scrape engine bay paint with any potential shifting of bracket/brace attached too car?

Thanks for a heads up

·
Registered
15 Posts
is it an absolute must to torque your bolts? no torque wrench was wondering if you could just tighten with socket.

sabby28

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do i MUST remove the engine cover to install the STB?

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
johniya said:
Do i MUST remove the engine cover to install the STB?
NO.

I dont use my engine cover cuz I like the look of my plenum.

Search STB in pics and I know there is a thread called show your stb pics here. It shows ones with the cover.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just got my STB in the mail from the GB. bit of an issue though... When trying to attatch the screw and bolts from the bracket to the actual bar, I noticed that the screws were too long. The Nut and Bolt combination don't match. The screw is too long, and the bolt does not allow for the screw to clamp tightly. I would say that the screw is about 1/2 an inch too long. Did I get "screwed" (no pun intended) or am I just an idiot and can't figure this out. any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I am eager to instal the STB. thanks!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I would install the plates, try to install the bar and take photos of the size difference in the screws. Improvise on the hardware, and let the vendor know.

I'm local if you need to compare, nothing that Lowes or Home Depot could not cover.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I just received mine also http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8366 Make sure you are using an allen wrench and a

..If you are trying to use a regular socket wrench with a regular socket and not a long socket it wont tighten all the way. Also the nut has some sort of plastic in it to prevent it from backing out.. this plastic also makes it a little hard to tighten.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts