Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man this aft I started up my 45 and the nosie from the engine was BAAAD....sounded like a diasel engine no S$%T. I turned off ignition, poped hood and restarted, same...was gonna call a tow truck to take to dealer, then noise starts to go away...lil' driving then gone. Got to dealer, no fault found.

Any1 got an idea what this could of been ??

Thx

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had the same problem twice - once about a year ago, then again this past Tuesday morning. The first time I wasn't able to do anything about it, but this time I had it towed to the dealer (who has successfully failed at almost everything they've attempted before). The semi-short version is that they said the air filter was dirty (I went and looked at the filter - it was surprisingly dirty, but nothing extreme), causing low air flow. The tech said that this caused the engine to suck oil from the crankcase into the combustion chamber, causing the smoke and noise.

I'll keep it short and just say I'm not too impressed with their answer for a lot of different reasons. It occurs to me that they may be trying to establish fault for any future engine failure, saying that the damage was caused by my having a dirty air filter. Not sure if they have anything to gain by doing this, as I assume they would get paid well by Infiniti if they ever had to do warranty work on the valvetrain.

Some research on other forums shows that this is a fairly common occurence with FX45s. Haven't found anyone who had the problem identified and resolved by the dealer. My assumption is that it is a sticking valve or lifter. Regardless, it is definitely metal-on-metal, and I have no doubt it has added the equivalent of tens of thousands of miles to the engine wear each time it happens.

cpp

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
cpp said:
Some research on other forums shows that this is a fairly common occurence with FX45s.
IDTS. Three people have reported it; nobody else has (it hasn't happened to me, for instance). I think more people have seat problems than this one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
kcrudup said:
cpp said:
Some research on other forums shows that this is a fairly common occurence with FX45s.
IDTS. Three people have reported it; nobody else has (it hasn't happened to me, for instance). I think more people have seat problems than this one!
Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. A quick search found 7 people (including myself) who have had the exact symptoms, plus two others who think they did - although, I think if they had, there would be no doubt. You probably realize that "fairly common" doesn't mean 100% - I'm glad that you haven't had the problem.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
cpp said:
You probably realize that "fairly common" doesn't mean 100%
... nor that low figure you're quoting. (I'm still wondering how you got to 7- I counted ARHFX45, you, and one other guy).

·
Registered
5 Posts
kcrudup said:
cpp said:
You probably realize that "fairly common" doesn't mean 100%
... nor that low figure you're quoting. (I'm still wondering how you got to 7- I counted ARHFX45, you, and one other guy).
The others were on another site - don't know how the moderators here feel about naming other forums...

While seven or so reported cases doesn't necessarily mean widespread panic is in order, it also means it's not just a fluke - there has got to be a relation among the cases, it's not normal, and it's specific to the FX45.

cpp

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
cpp said:
...don't know how the moderators here feel about naming other forums...
:roll: Believe it or not, we're actually OK with that here.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Oh, so you're saying it's all right to do some name calling of other forums? Cool, O K for starters I'd like to call F......nevermind

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hey, no word twisting! You know that's not what I meant. :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
cpp said:
...don't know how the moderators here feel about naming other forums...
:roll: Believe it or not, we're actually OK with that here.
As it should be... Thanks.

BTW, the other mentions I saw were on FA; haven't seen any on Edmunds, who of course would delete my post if I mentioned another forum.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had that problem hapenning to me twice, it was last year, it never did it again so I did not bother to deal with the idiots at my dealership.
If ever it was doing it repeatedly then I would have the car tow to the next dealer about an hour away, lucky it did not.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
kcrudup said:
Well it finally happened to us last night. Knocking noise when started up :? . Seemed to get a little lower in volume after about 20 seconds but was still there. Turned it off, checked the oil, which was good, started it back up, and no noise. Hmmmm. Remember reading on FA that it was happening to others when they started the car and ran it for only a minute or so, sometimes just moving it a little. Well I think my situation was the same, as earlier in the day i only backed the FX out of the garage to wash it, running for maybe a minute at the most. Anyone hear of a real reason why this is happening?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, seems to be getting more prevelant ith other owners. I added some fuel injector cleaner and have not had it happen since last month. Run hi octane may also help i think.

I wonder if Infiniti monitors this board. Do report this to your dealer. If this is causing serious engine damage ( and is sure as **** sounds like it ) you will want to have it documented.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Well,

It happened to me this morning. It did not want to start, and when it did it struggled to stay running, like it was choking. Then when it did, I thought I was throwing a rod.
I swear it sounded like the oil sending unit did not activate and it did not pump oil through the engine.

I shut it down and went to work in my other car. Got home tonight, turned it over, just fine, as if nothing happened, runs normal.

That's F*d up right there. It goes to the Stealership this week for a host of little tings as well as the oil change. I guess I just add this to the list :roll:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yikes, !! it strikes again !!!! I reported this problem last week when they performed the Fender panel TSB. Report says "added cleaner"....my problem with this is having to do this for the life of this V8, no way......fix this Infiniti.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
GEAUX said:
Well,

It happened to me this morning. It did not want to start, and when it did it struggled to stay running, like it was choking. Then when it did, I thought I was throwing a rod.
I swear it sounded like the oil sending unit did not activate and it did not pump oil through the engine.

I shut it down and went to work in my other car. Got home tonight, turned it over, just fine, as if nothing happened, runs normal.

That's F*d up right there. It goes to the Stealership this week for a host of little tings as well as the oil change. I guess I just add this to the list :roll:
That's it, man; time to trade it in on a C6 before it croaks on you completely (at least that's what you can tell your wife)! :D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
GEAUX said:
Well,

That's it, man; time to trade it in on a C6 before it croaks on you completely (at least that's what you can tell your wife)! :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you guys using NISSAN oil filters?? I'm not sure about the Infiniti/Nissan oil filters, but the Toyota/Lexus ones have a back flow/check valve that stops reverse flow of oil when the car is shut off, ie. it keeps the oil in the upper parts of the engine so that next time you start it up, the oil doesn't have to travel from the oil pan to the lifters, cam, etc.-- it's already there.

Also could be an initial false input reading causing the wrong air/fuel mixture--which will eventually correct (few seconds, but seems like a life time)--can happen if you let off the ignition switch too fast and it just barely starts....causes it to stumble for a bit.

hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Happened to me for the third time yesterday. Noise went away after several seconds. I called my dealer to ask them to put a note in my record and to ask if they had learned anymore about this problem. My mistake - there is no problem, and this is not occurring with any other FX45s. Sorry to learn that the rest of you claiming this trouble are obviously lying. I love my dealer.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts