Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I hate most are squeaks and now I've got them. The car's only two months old! Why is it that sqeaks appear when there' no one else in the car with you and always seem to come from the farthest point from the driver's seat? Anyway, mine's emanating from the B pillar on the passenger side. At least, I think it's coming from there. Has anyone else heard squeaks from that location and have tracked it down?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
cantdrv55 said:
What I hate most are squeaks and now I've got them. The car's only two months old! Why is it that sqeaks appear when there' no one else in the car with you and always seem to come from the farthest point from the driver's seat? Anyway, mine's emanating from the B pillar on the passenger side. At least, I think it's coming from there. Has anyone else heard squeaks from that location and have tracked it down?
this might just be the leather between the rear seats rubbing. mine had it when it was new for the first 2 months. finally i got in the back and realized that it never happened when i was sitting there. i oiled the leather with lexol really well and no more squeaks for over a year now :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I really couldn't imagine a two month old car developing squeaks already but it pops up when I'm alone in the car. Just drives me nuts!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have had various squeeks and rattles (namely the armrest, center cupholder, passenger front door panel, sunroof seal, and drivers seat) and i have fixed them all myself with a little trial and error mentality. I would rather do it myself (if I feel I'm capable) rather than to have to waste time at the dealer.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a rattle or ticking noise up by the passenger windshield near the speaker. Must be the cold weather here lately. Sounds like the windshield shifting against the dash causing a tick noise. I had my son drive and I can get it to stop by applying some hard pressure against the lower area of the windshield.

Anyone fix this kind of thing?

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
FXLENT said:
I have had various squeeks and rattles (namely the armrest, center cupholder, passenger front door panel, sunroof seal, and drivers seat) and i have fixed them all myself with a little trial and error mentality. I would rather do it myself (if I feel I'm capable) rather than to have to waste time at the dealer.
FXlent,
Very curious as to your fix for the 'sunroof seal' squeak - - my FX has developed the same one!!! :cry:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Pulling Max,

Just put a thin layer of nonpetroleum based lube around the rubber sealent of the sunroof. You will need to slide it back and then tilt it up to be able to reach all corners of the rubber seal. Voila! Squeek is gone!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've had an 03 FX and currently an 04, and in both instances I have/had developed a ticking noise in the windshield dash area. Some might call it a rattlle, but it has been more of a deliberate tick noise than a rattle. Most folks may not even notice it but for those anal owners, in both cases the noise was caused by the vibration by either the plastic brake fluid resevoir (on the 03) or the plastic battery encasement and/or plastic drain channel above the battery )on the 04). Both these areas had the black plastic slapping against the metal frame over bumps causing the noise. By popping out the push pins and inserting some adhesive pads underneath between the plastic and metal frame have stopped this noise.

Just FYI. You would swear the noise is coming from inside the dash area but it is not in these cases.

·
Registered
662 Posts
FXLENT said:
I have a rattle or ticking noise up by the passenger windshield near the speaker. Must be the cold weather here lately. Sounds like the windshield shifting against the dash causing a tick noise. I had my son drive and I can get it to stop by applying some hard pressure against the lower area of the windshield.

I had something like that. In my case, it's coming from passenger side vent. Infiniti obvisouly used cheap plastic and two plastic pieces're rubbing each other. I pulled out the vent to fix it.

I had same problem with Pathfinder I had. It was coming from seal they used between dash and windshield. When the weather got cold, it cracked and was making noise.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Zethar said:
Hey Pulling Max,

Just put a thin layer of nonpetroleum based lube around the rubber sealent of the sunroof. You will need to slide it back and then tilt it up to be able to reach all corners of the rubber seal. Voila! Squeek is gone!
Zethar,
Many, many thanks!!!! Will remedy tomorrow!!!!!

You've saved me 'countless' trips to the dealer!!! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
PullingMaxGs said:
Zethar said:
Hey Pulling Max,

Zethar,
Many, many thanks!!!! Will remedy tomorrow!!!!!

You've saved me 'countless' trips to the dealer!!! :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
topguy said:
FXLENT said:

I had something like that. In my case, it's coming from passenger side vent. Infiniti obvisouly used cheap plastic and two plastic pieces're rubbing each other. I pulled out the vent to fix it.

I had same problem with Pathfinder I had. It was coming from seal they used between dash and windshield. When the weather got cold, it cracked and was making noise.
Hey .. I seem to be getting a noise / knock / clunk on the driver's side vent (by the door). It is kinda knocking or clunking when I even go over cracks on the road ... driving me crazy!!! If I put my hand on it, I can feel a 'knock' when I go over bumps, and if I give it some pressure, it pretty muc eliminates the knock, but I can still feel it.

I was thinking about popping it off, but I noticed that the mirror controls are at the bottom of the unit. How do I get it off without snapping anything off? Is it just a screwdriver at the top, and lever it?

I would appreciate any help ....

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The little matchbox sized mirror control module is held in by its own clips. Mine fell INTO the panel with minor pressure, so be careful- it can pop out either direction.

·
Registered
207 Posts
so I need to take that out first?

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
You can remove it after you pull out the vent assembly. The vent assembly, if I remember right, is held in by four clips on the sides. The mirror control is held in place by four clips on the top and bottom. The vent assembly needs to be removed in order to reinstall the mirror control if you leave the wires attached...

The vent assembly should have a thin strip of foam tape wrapped around the perimeter (the part that butts up against the dash and air duct). If it doesn't, that could be why your vent makes noise.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks ... whenever I can find a spare 1/2 hr (riiiiiiigggghhhhhtt), I will look into it.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Re:

Hey .. I seem to be getting a noise / knock / clunk on the driver's side vent (by the door). It is kinda knocking or clunking when I even go over cracks on the road ... driving me crazy!!! If I put my hand on it, I can feel a 'knock' when I go over bumps, and if I give it some pressure, it pretty muc eliminates the knock, but I can still feel it.

I was thinking about popping it off, but I noticed that the mirror controls are at the bottom of the unit. How do I get it off without snapping anything off? Is it just a screwdriver at the top, and lever it?

I would appreciate any help ....
My God, I have squeking in same spot, driver side vent. I just dropped my car off the Autowest Infiniti in Richmond automall again for this SAME issue.

but hear this, this time they want to charge me 1 hour labour to "diagonsis" the squeak!!!! They said squeaking is only covered under 1 year warranty. If we conclude something is wrong, then the parts will be free.

I was like what the heck; it doesn't make sense!!!!! so I told them to xxxx off and replace my **** black window trims.

Anyone think what they are telling me is BS or am I just asking too much? :x

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Uh- can I see a copy of anything stating there is a 1 year warranty on anything in the car? What part of 4 yr/60k miles (7yr powertrain) am I misunderstanding?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Yeah... I think the bumper to bumper is 3 or 4 years or something... And like dislexic said, the powertrain is even longer...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts