Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I got my FX50S in August 2008, and have been thoroughly enjoying the car. It has about 8500 miles on it, and very happy with it.

When I flick the sport supension switch to on position, I don't notice any change in the ride or the handling. I had a couple of my friends try the car and they felt the same. When I was at the dealer for the service, I mentioned it to them, and they claimed that it is working and they can feel the difference.

So my question is, is it supposed to be really subtle difference or is it pretty obvious for you?

Another question... is there a way to turn off "... or press the back button to change... " prompt from the navigation system?

Thanks in advance,
Mohan

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
the sport button does not make the ride stiffer, per se. it adjusts the suspension dampening.

so what happens, is that in a lot of cases, you dont notice a **** thing...but, it you really start to push it in a corner, it will keep the car much flatter. also if you are rolling over bumps (as in a pavement seam or rolling pavement), it helps dampen or elminate the bob you get when in AUTO mode.

the best way to "feel" it, is to find a good corner or road where the pavement produces bobbing of the car or body roll. take the car over the bumps or in the corner hard in AUTO and then again in sport.

i can definately feel a difference under these circumstances...but not when the road is fairly smooth or im not cornering at speed or hard.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
if you have a bumpy highway or taking the exit ramps off a freeway, you'll minimize the body roll like everyone else said.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
yeah, quite honestly (no offense) but you're probably not pushing your ride hard enough to notice the difference. Most people have NO IDEA how far they can push their vehicle in cornering. Hence why a stock FX45 can go around an on-ramp faster than a C5 with an average driver :)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
yeah, you really have to throw it around to get the benefits...but i does make a difference.

there is a section on the road by my home where there is no topcoat and there are parts where they paved it up to meet manhole covers. if you roll over it at 50 or 60 mph, the car will bob up and down a bit because the AUTO mode is made to absorb the changes and make the ride smooth. its like riding in a QX56. but in sport mode, it will basically eliminate the bob if you roll over it fast. the ride still feels soft, but the body stays nice and level.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I will try. A friend of mine (who races a Z4 on a regular basis) drove the FX pretty aggressively, and he could not tell the difference. He was also hoping to feel the rear wheel steering as well.

I thought I will feel the difference when I go over a speed bump... but I guess not!

- Mohan

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Or your WS6 :p

Seriously, the average person does NOT know where the limits of their car is. I've used rental cars to beat up on "faster" cars with "better suspension" on the track... and those are non-average people who at least have a SENSE of what their car's limits are. The FX is more capable than a lot of people realize and even more capable than a lot of people on this forum (who drive and are fans of the FX) give it credit for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ha yeah well yeah my WS6 is set up to go in straight line, but very quickly lol and working on getting that quicker and quicker, speed is money no matter if you wanna go straight or through the twisties.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
ynkssws6 said:
speed is money no matter if you wanna go straight or through the twisties.
I'll agree with you on that one TO A DEGREE.

Seat time makes a BIG difference too. But, now that I think about it, seat time usually costs money too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts