Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 FX35 that was having speedometer issues.The speedometer needle will be jumpy at some occasion, or will have abit of delay (example when going 50km/hr it would show 20km/hr) but after a few minutes it will be back to normal. Few days ago, i was on the highway going around 100km/hr, then the needle jumped to 180km/hr, and it never worked the same. Now the needle is below zero all the time, no movement at all. My initial thought was the speed sensor, so i took it in to the mechanic to see if there are any error codes, nothing came up. Would a faulty speed sensor display any error codes? My other suspicion is the instrument cluster and specifically the speedometer. All the other gauge clusters work fine. Has anyone encounter this? Also i want to dissemble the instrument cluster, does anyone know where i can find the service manual or something? All i can find is removal of the cluster itself from the car. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
A faulty speed sensor would throw a code. You likely have a problem with the cluster or it's connections. The connections can be inspected cleaned and re-connected so you should start there. Other than that I don't think I've seen a DIY on dismantling the cluster. Infiniti service would probably just want to sell you a new cluster so you may not be able to find individual parts for it even if you get it apart and find a broken part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I will get the connections inspected and go from there. I was able to isolate the issue to the speedometer by doing a self-diagnosis of combination meter. Just in case someone else needed it, here it is:
1. Turn ignition switch ON, and switch the odo/trip meter to “trip A” or “trip B”.
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Turn ignition switch ON while pressing trip transfer switch and trip reset switch at the same time.
4. After ignition switch is turned ON, release trip transfer switch and trip reset switch (within 7 seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON).
5. All the segments on the odo/trip meter, A/T indicator and ICC system display illuminates, and simultaneously the low-fuel warning lamp indicator illuminates. At this time, the unified meter control unit is turned to self-diagnosis mode.
6. Each meter/gauge activates during pressing trip reset switch. (Then low-fuel warning lamp turns OFF.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok, I will get the connections inspected and go from there. I was able to isolate the issue to the speedometer by doing a self-diagnosis of combination meter. Just in case someone else needed it, here it is:
1. Turn ignition switch ON, and switch the odo/trip meter to “trip A” or “trip B”.
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Turn ignition switch ON while pressing trip transfer switch and trip reset switch at the same time.
4. After ignition switch is turned ON, release trip transfer switch and trip reset switch (within 7 seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON).
5. All the segments on the odo/trip meter, A/T indicator and ICC system display illuminates, and simultaneously the low-fuel warning lamp indicator illuminates. At this time, the unified meter control unit is turned to self-diagnosis mode.
6. Each meter/gauge activates during pressing trip reset switch. (Then low-fuel warning lamp turns OFF.)

Thanks pizcal . I recently had a very similar experience with my speedo, but it still registers a reading most of the time & at times inaccurate/erratic. So does following the above procedure fix it? Or simply helped you to ID the source of the problem? ... which was?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm experiencing the same issues with my speedometer. Were you ever able to figure out what the problem was? I would really appreciate any input. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts