Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks for this excellent site. I've been shopping for FX's vs the Lexus RX330 and will pick one or the other. My wife likes the looks, rear visibility and wood steering wheel of the RX, but there is no question that I like how the FX drives much better. I think I am winning her over. I've owned 2 Z's and 2 Maximas in my life -so I'm really sold on the engineering. Here are a few questions if you folks wouldn't mind helping....

1) There seem to be a lot of 2003 cars left on the lots. Why is this? Am I only going to get a super deal on a leftover 2003 or does anyone know of a S. Calif dealer who heavily discounts on 2004's? (I didn't have to work very hard to be offered 2004 RX330's at 10% off MSRP or even more).

2) I am a horsepower freak - yet I liked driving the 2004 FX35 a little more than the 2004 FX45 - both AWD models. The engine note sounded nicer on the 35 and the power difference wasn't as great as I'd expected. Am I nuts? The handling and cornering was a thing of beauty on both!

3) Any big improvements on the 2004, or should I consider a leftover 2003 if the price is right -say >$3K less.

4) When they describe a car as brick/black or willow/black, are they saying that the dash is black but the leather surfaces are the color? Or is the leather a two tone?

5) How does the NAV work? Are there lots of streets missing?

Appreciate the help! SDGuy in San Diego

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Welcome!! Don't get the RX! You'll just regret every minute behind wheel yawning!

1) I got my '04 for 500 over invoice. You should be able to pull off a similar deal out there in Cali. For '03s, you can get it probably less than invoice as it costs the dealers to keep them in the lot.

2) Well, you can't deny the fact that the 45 has gobs of torque. But if you're satisfied with the 35, then get it. I was satisfied with the 35 enough... plus I sit in traffic most of the time anyway. If you're into modding also, then the 35 is the way to go for future HP increases.

3) Only differences from the '03s to '04s are the 8 way passenger seats, aluminum rails (sports pkg), diff. colored wheels (dark silver) and a few slight changes that you really wouldnt notice like felt lined compartments.

4) Yes, dash is black on those interiors.

5) NAV works great. Just a PITA to input using a joystick at first but you get used to it. I personally love the NAV and use it all the time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I test drove the non sport. It is much better suited for bad roads... It's all up to personal preference. You give up some handling but in return you gain some more comfort. If your wife likes the RX so much, maybe you'll be better off with the non sport. However, one of the strong selling points of the FX are those 'dub's. It just looks so menacing! :D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
In regards to the navi 6.2 DVD - to check this, since many dealers don't know how...

Move the passenger seat all the way forward. From the rear seat, under the front passenger seat you will see the NAVI unit. Grab the plastic cover at the top and pull and it will swing open (it is hinged at the bottom). Push the eject button and check the DVD version.

If it's 6.1 disc, I don't think you can just put a 6.2 disc in. I think you have to perform a firmware update via CD before you can use the 6.2 DVD disc. Just a head's up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought my FX today and just got it home from LA after a grueling 3 hour drive during rush hour. 2004 FX35AWD DG/Willow/ Sport/ Touring/ Tech/ Chrome Wheels/ MES

Build date was 9/03 and it does have ver 6.2 Nav software (I didn't fiddle with the DVD unit under the passenger seat - but it came with a small booklet on the NAV that said it was ver 6.2).

My impression after 3 hours of driving - the FX35 is plenty quick when I got to open it up a bit as I approached San Diego. It climbed the hills by my house just great. It corners like my former 1999 Porsche 996, is very quiet and refined except for the pleasing note of the engine at work. You folks were right - the RX330 would have been a poor choice and not half the fun. The wife says she really likes the look of this FX. Her first drive will be tomorrow.

Now I just need to learn the gadgetry. Wish it had 15 radio buttons instead of the A,B,C switch placed in an awkward spot. Best to all, SDGuy

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Congrats! Post pics! :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
congrats!!

lessee already!!

i am glad you chose the fx too; i like the rx300 series (mom has one), but the fx is a totally diff. ride, and satisfies a totally different part of the ego... (read: performance and fun)

you're lucky to have the 6.2, as i bought my 03 4.5 in nov. and it still has the 6.1 (i drive in virtual blackholes as a result)...185 gets the 6.2 dvd with maps and POI's , etc... and the needed 6.2 update cd rom that has to be installed prior to loading the 6.2 dvd......

glad to have ya hear.!!

SMS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts