Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I need some advice. The lease on my current car (Lexus ES300) is going to be over in a couple months. I'm not going to buy-out the remainder of the lease since I really need something with AWD. Trouble is, most of my time (August-May) is spent in North Dakota, although I will be buying the car in Dallas. I'm very interested in the FX35 AWD. My main concern is that the nearest Infiniti dealer is 4+ hours away in Minneapolis or 2 hours away in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There is also a Nissan dealer in the town where I live. Now, I'm not going to be an idiot and ask whether the Nissan dealer can do work on the FX, but how would this work if the FX broke down on me? Would it be towed to Minneapolis or Winnipeg? I don't know how Infiniti works, but BMW will not do a repair under warranty in Canada if the car was purchased in the US. (One of my main reasons for striking the X3 from my considerations besides the fact that it's a European car)

Despite the fact that it is Japanese car and is statistically more reliable, has the FX-series generally had a lot of problems?

I'm also interested in how well the car handles extreme cold. I'm talking negative teens (in farenheit). Any major problems with it getting going in the morning? (Of course, I would let it warm for 10 minutes before driving.)

Well, thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
jcs1744 said:
Hey guys,

I need some advice. The lease on my current car (Lexus ES300) is going to be over in a couple months. I'm not going to buy-out the remainder of the lease since I really need something with AWD. Trouble is, most of my time (August-May) is spent in North Dakota, although I will be buying the car in Dallas. I'm very interested in the FX35 AWD. My main concern is that the nearest Infiniti dealer is 4+ hours away in Minneapolis or 2 hours away in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There is also a Nissan dealer in the town where I live. Now, I'm not going to be an idiot and ask whether the Nissan dealer can do work on the FX, but how would this work if the FX broke down on me? Would it be towed to Minneapolis or Winnipeg? I don't know how Infiniti works, but BMW will not do a repair under warranty in Canada if the car was purchased in the US. (One of my main reasons for striking the X3 from my considerations besides the fact that it's a European car)

Despite the fact that it is Japanese car and is statistically more reliable, has the FX-series generally had a lot of problems?

I'm also interested in how well the car handles extreme cold. I'm talking negative teens (in farenheit). Any major problems with it getting going in the morning? (Of course, I would let it warm for 10 minutes before driving.)

Well, thanks for your help.
My closest dealer is 5+ hours away. I bought the car after extensive research and decided the reliabilty factor outweighed my concerns about how far away the closest dealer was located. I've certainly not been disappointed yet.
The FX started with no problem whatsoever last winter and believe me, we get some cold weather here. (-20F is fairly common at times during the winter)
The FX, with a set of good winter tires (BLIZZAKS), will handle any winter no matter how much snow. It far surpassed my expectations as far as AWD capabilities. I'd been driving Jeeps the last 12-14 yrs.
Nothing but a :thumbup: from my way of thinking.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Nissan will not do warranty work on Infinitis and vise versa. They WILL probably do maintenance that you pay for. The FX has been relatively problem free; just a few very minor niggles here and there, but nothing remotely close to it breaking down (except for extreme isolated cases), so I don't think you have anything to worry about. For the minor little things, just drive it a while, do your research here, make a list and get them all fixed at once (if there even is anything to address).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've had my FX35 AWD for 14 months, 14k miles. So far, zero maintenance problems.

I live in Wisconsin .. cold weather all winter. Started like a champ, even in -10f weather. I have stock 18"s and it drove fine in the snow.

BTW, the best way to warm up your car is NOT to let it idle for 10 minutes in your driveway. Drive it slowly <15mph for a minute or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.