Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed the apparent ease with which the FX windshield seems to acquire tiny pits from small stones, etc. I mean I have numerous little chips in the glass, that look like dust specks at first, but are actually tiny chips. I've driven the same roads with other vehicles for many more miles, with virtually no flaws in the glass. Does my car just have soft windshield glass, or is this common?

Ron

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I've noticed this as well, but I can't say it's any worse that any other car I've owned. I think the rake of the windshield/angle of impact has a lot to do with it, not so much the glass itself.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I agree that the windshields seem "soft". On an extremely windy day, some leftover sand from a local bridge pelted my windshield/front end and it pitted everywhere.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
this is my take on this: a lot of cars have a very raked hood that drops to the ground in the front. although they tend to get more hits on the hood itself, i think the airflow is generally more laminar over the windshield and roofline (basically the small particles are getting shanked off the hood and into the slipstream over the windshield.

on the FX, the hood is flat and therefore the airflow over it probably tends to impact the windshield at more of a perpendicular angle than that on a raked hood. therefore, the particles are getting smaked into the windshield

i would think that a bug deflector would help significantly here

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I have a chunk taken out on the front ot the top of the passenger side. I was surprised it didnt not come through the window.

And I got a chunk missing on the sunroof (with 2 other chips on the roof when it bounced) and was still surprised it did not come though the window.

I only went through a couple of dust-devils and it just sounds horrible on the paint.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
I have a chunk taken out on the front ot the top of the passenger side. I was surprised it didnt not come through the window.

And I got a chunk missing on the sunroof (with 2 other chips on the roof when it bounced) and was still surprised it did not come though the window.

I only went through a couple of dust-devils and it just sounds horrible on the paint.
YIKES! :x

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
our windsheilds are fine, trust me. Had a Mini Cooper S -- now those windshields are soft! It's all relative, I guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's really irritating for me when I get done carefully washing the windows, and I see these little specks on the windscreen, and I know they're not dust or lint, but actual chips in the glass. Doesn't seem right. I'm going to contact the local PPG glass installer here and see if they have any info about softer windshield glass in use. At any rate, I think I see a new windshield in my future... even if I have to pay for it all myself.

Ron

·
Registered
176 Posts
Windshield is not very good

I had mine cracked by some flying object and replaced at about 3700 miles. That was a $500 deductible I would rather not have spent.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The winshield costs more than $500?! :shock:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I got a bid of $850 for a new windshield.

My deductible is $250, so I am going that route.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
GEAUX said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
GEAUX said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
YEP,

mine still has the small crack in it because of that too :(

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Is that a quote for OEM glass or aftermarket? I seem to remember a thread on FA on this where a couple people had theirs replaced with good aftermarket glass, but don't remember the cost.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another Windshield chip

Okay, so I have been watching the boards on this, and I've seen the replies that say the FX is no different than any other car, or perhaps the angle of the windshield leads to slightly more chips, but now I truly believe there is something else to this. I just got a second chip, directly in front of my line of sight about 8" from the bottom of the windshield. I cannot explain how it came about, because I know that I did not hear anything hit my windshield.

The reason I find this so odd, and am really angry, is that I spent the night before last trying to get the windshield perfectly clear with a variety of cleaners and wipes. When I finally was finished (and I would have noticed this gouge) I pulled the car in the garage. Yesterday I drove a whopping 4 miles to my golf tournament on a road you cannot go over 35 on, parked the car, played, came home the same way, and back into the garage.

As I was leaving to go out last night we turned directly into the sun and voila! There it was, the 1/4" gouge. Thought it was bug juice, so I wiped it off, but it didn't go. Managed to be able to catch my fingernail in it. :evil:

No golf balls could have hit the car where it was, and I have no idea where this came from. This is the second nick, and I have seen a lot of posts about these windshields. I have had "way more" cars than I would care to admit, and I've probably driven about 750k miles in my lifetime and have only a couple of nicks prior to this in all the cars I've ever owned. I've had what seemed like boulders hit the windshield and not leave a mark, yet I don't even know what hit me and I have yet another chip. I'm going to keep watching the boards for this, because I do think there is something inherently odd about the FX's seeming propensity for windshield chipping. Love the car, but don't want to make a habit of replacing the windshield.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
ever in Lancaster, i'm not gonna use my bug d. (for sale)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
ever in Lancaster, i'm not gonna use my bug d. (for sale)
forgot to say in other thread -- mine broke right down the middle. must have had a slight crack around the center hole. picked it up one one and and she is now in 2 pieces. $100 down the drain!!!

sorry, no hijack intended.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Replacement windshield costs

MustGoFastR said:
The winshield costs more than $500?! :shock:
The glass was $974.65. Another $290.35 to install it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A bloody racoon crawled over my 2 cars, FX and Subaru. Many pits on the FX windshield, not the other car. An incredible nusance. Oddly, the windshield only, not the paint work, got damaged. Had a windshield repair company look at it, they can't fix it, only replace which is very costly with tha lane warning feature.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts