Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... web page and it says that K&N air filters, as far as trapping particulates are, well, not that good. I mean, I may have mistaken what the test was getting at but it basically tells me that slapping a K&N filter on my Infiniti will not only cause it to ingest more particles (bad), but it will do it at a significantly faster rate (bad x bad) than under stock air filtration parts, and the 'benefit' of installing a K&N is in the single digits in terms of horsepower (bad x bad = 5hp if you take the interior out and only leave the driver's seat...without the seatbelt... and air bag/ otherwise 3 hp).

Conclusion:

Install the K&N but understand the air going into the engine will be dirtier than under your plain-vanilla air filter, the measly single-digit hp benefit having come from increased but "contaminated" air flow? Is this all correct? Because I was gonna install one, and this article hath changed my mind...

Someone set me straight.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
There are debates that go back and forth on this subject... a lot of these tests weren't done very scientifically so I can't really say anything about them except to use them as a reference...

K&N and other oiled filters claim that their filters actually filter MORE and it's done by using the oil to trap the contaminates, allowing better airflow... they also claim that as the filters get a bit dirty, they actually work better, using the dirt in the filter (mixed with the oil) to help filter the incoming air... not sure if that really works or not...

All I'm sure of is that the K&N gets my engine more air and the level of filtration is not very far off of other filters (personally I think OEM filters kinda suck... so either way, I wouldn't use one in my car)... in the end, it's your car... do what you think is right... but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing damage to their engine by using a K&N filter... now damaging the MAF cause they cleaned their filter and then applied too much oil? That's another story... :lol:

Edit: Oh... and remember that even thought the K&N may only add 5 HP here or whatever, but if you plan on doing more changes it helps the entire process... if you're not planning on doing additional changes, the K&N will also add mileage to your car so that might be something you're interested in...

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
You might want to take a look at these ---> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19163. I'm currently running a K&N, but I think one of the Amsoil Nano filters will be next.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link. Pretty heated debate. I do have one question though: what do cars like a mercedez mclaren, or a bmw m3 or a corvette use for air filtration? Does anyone know? I think German engineering may shed some light on this...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a K&N air filter to install in my 45. I gave up after 15 minutes. Who designed that air box? Can anyone give me the secret to getting enough clearance to remove the old filter? Do I need to remove the air inlet tube too? If this has been discussed before please point me to the prior post. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
goldrsh said:
I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a K&N air filter to install in my 45. I gave up after 15 minutes. Who designed that air box? Can anyone give me the secret to getting enough clearance to remove the old filter? Do I need to remove the air inlet tube too? If this has been discussed before please point me to the prior post. Thanks.
Loosen and disconnect the air intake tube at the top (and the bolt securing it to the plenum) and then you'll have enough room to open the air box.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
i wrote a really detailed how-to on installing a new filter, have a look at that. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=571
also, to add to the topic, i think K&N is worth it considering all the money you save by not replacing a filter during service.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I added a lazy man's how to instructions in there too... but not sure if the 45 airbox is the same as our 35s so I didn't offer any suggestions...

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
oh he's a 45? send me pics of your airbox and i will find a way in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
StuLax18 said:
oh he's a 45? send me pics of your airbox and i will find a way in there.
Thanks all. Yes, mine is a 45. I've been playing with cars for many years and I've never seen a routine manitenance item made so difficult. Apparently the 45 is even more difficult to do than the 35. Is there an online source for the Infiniti Repair Manual pages on the FX45 air filter install procedure? (I emailed K&N's tech department and they couldn't give me instructions.)

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
the 35 isnt that hard, so i doubt the 45 is too

·
Registered
4 Posts
StuLax18 said:
the 35 isnt that hard, so i doubt the 45 is too
I can just unclip, unscrew and unbolt everything. It will all come out. NORMALLY I would or should just have to pop the four clips and change the filter. Just thought I was missing something. It appears not. Break out the tools. ](*,)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts