Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as most of you know, I picked up a little POS car after selling the FX whilst I save up for the M3; now the little [email protected]#%er keeps giving me trouble and wouldn't start two mornings in a row.

'00 1.6L Protege w/ 85k miles. Had a CEL and a coil go out and just replaced it a week ago and it was running like a champ, but the CEL still came on after a couple days (O2 sensor, maybe? not alot in the **** thing to go wrong). Anyway, I just let it go b/c it was running good, then went out to start the car yesterday morning and it wouldn't turn over. I put new plugs in it last night and it started up and ran fine (the plugs were pretty nasty), but again this morning when I went to start it, it wouldn't start. I've confirmed it's getting spark, gauge says I've got 1/4 tank of gas (I've put on 250 miles since last fill-up) and it's not cold outside. WTF? Clogged fuel filter? Fuel pump? Gauge misreading? Just seems like if it's got spark, it must not be getting fuel, right? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm not a mechanic so I cannot help you here but let me ask you this question:
How does it feel switching from an FX to a "beater"? :wink:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
krzys4 said:
I'm not a mechanic so I cannot help you here but let me ask you this question:
How does it feel switching from an FX to a "beater"? :wink:
Don't ask... :cry:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ShadyJC said:
Cranking but not catching? Or not cranking at all?
Cranking, but not catching.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, got one of those just lying around... :roll: I'm afraid it's to the point where I may have to take it to a shop. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shouldn't take long to hook it up as long as you have the right schrader valve on the pressure tester for the fuel line. If it needs a pump, you'll have to drop the tank, which won't be too bad if you have the proper equipment. So long as you drain the tank first. Then you could check the sending unit to make sure it's working properly too.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah.... deffinitely going to have to take it in, if that's the case. I can change a fuel filter ok, but anything beyond that or injectors, I really am not equipped for and don't really like to mess with too much on the fuel system. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have spark and air, but the fuel is in question. BUT when you turn on the ignition, you could listen for the fuel pump if it's coming on or not, instead of checking at the fuel rail, but the fitting on the fuel rail should be easily accessable. Did you try putting the accelerator pedal to the floor when cranking? Maybe there's leaking injectors and the engine's flooded.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I didn't try putting the pedal down when cranking. I thought you weren't supposed to do that in an injected car? I'll have to try to listen for the fuel pump, but other things come on as well with the ignition and I haven't had it long enough to be able to recognize if a familiar sound is missing...

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you put the accelerator pedal to the floor the computer goes into "clear flood mode" where it leans out the injectors to compensate for the possbility of a flooded engine. Just don't pump it like you would with a carburated vehicle. Press and hold the pedal to the floor while cranking. The fuel pump should sound like a buzzing or humming noise when pressurizing the rail. Have someone turn on the ignition while you listen by the tank.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, cool; did not know that. I'll give that a try as soon as I get home. I also want to dump some gas in it just to make sure that the **** thing isn't empty and the gauge is off...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for al the help; I'll deffinitely keep you posted. I doubt very much that it's anything electrical, since I did get it started and it ran fine last night after I changed the plugs (though that obviously wasn't the culprit).

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Crank angle sensor... any more info. on this? Where is it? How to check it?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Crank position sensor may be more familiar language.

Was there any fuel odor or was one plug wet...could be a leaking injector...inector leak down test will confirm it and pretty common on earlier gen FI

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, I don't recall much of a fuel smell or if a plug was wet (one looked much darker than normal, though). As for the rest, again, I'll likely have to take it to a shop to be diagnosed. I'll look over whatever I can this afternoon, but I'll probbaly just have to tow it behind the Xterra to the shop up the street. I'll just have them diagnose before fixing, so if it's something I can do without much trouble, I will.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, got home and tried the pressing accellerator to the floor to clear it out trick and it fired right up! Drove it around a while, shut off, restarted a few times and it seems fine. I can't believe it was something so rediculously simple, but I'm glad it was. Thanks for all the help! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.